MyWOT Android Browser

nova7

RE: MyWOT Android Browser

Post by nova7 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:47 am

Compatability with the Mywot.com site: On a five year old version of the OS, I only found two browsers that are compatable with mywot.com

www.mywot.com/wiki/WOT_Mobile#Tap.26Trust_Browser

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:28 pm

Actually, as far as I know, there is not yet browsers for mobile devices which work fully with WOT. This browser is to be fully protected by WOT. For instance, even redirections are checked and blocked if they target a malicious sites (also clicks on ads)

I like to use Google Chrome on Android that I find pleasant. So I am expecting the same from this browser. Of course, with my means where I cannot claim the same quality.

My goal, is to build a browser which will allow safe browsing and which will protect the privacy (by blocking third party scripts)

Since the last post:
- Shortcuts are working -> favicon as icon + title page for name (a click on this shortcut will open the url with the browser)
- Delete cache + cookies + history

Todo:
- Manage downloads
- Block third party scripts (even with JS enabled)
- WOT icons in search engines (clicks are already protected)

nova7

Post by nova7 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:29 am

I've found both browsers mentioned in the wiki to be compatible with OS 2.3. I tried many other browser flavors and versions. Chrome isn't 2.3 compatible.

A feature I like to see is access to "find in page" in two taps, not more taps.

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:27 am

@Matiks =

[cite]My goal, is to build a browser which will allow safe browsing and which will protect the privacy (by blocking third party scripts)[/cite]

I am taking a moment to express my admiration of the evolution of such a beautiful project that I witness its beginning; in the present situation of WOT, in which we find ourselves stuck with a problem like the Capcha, your project by comparison, is a precious gem shining and giving hope that we don't lose members because of our inability to white list such respected members like Mandrake or Scamkiller

Thank you, for the hard work and vision, my friend

In my book, you are top member of WOT

Is an honor to have met such a gentle genius like you, it is my blessing to call you friend

You are my hero :-)

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:28 am

[cite]
A feature I like to see is access to "find in page" in two taps, not more taps.
[/cite]

Thanks for the suggestion. I will work on it.

@Super Hero!

Thanks for your words, but it's your idea :) not sure to deserve so much compliments, though it's a pleasure to read them.

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:14 am

Within two clicks, the browser will open a "search in page" feature (sorry screenshots are in French here). The first click to open the menu and the second click, to open the search feature.

The top bar will disappear to leave more space for the research.

The keywords from the search will be highlighted. The next keywords can be found with the button "next" (right arrow).

A click on the button with a cross will remove the search area and the top bar will be displayed again.

nova7

Post by nova7 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:42 pm

"MyWOT Browser" for Android works on what Android version as a minimum?

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:22 pm

The min sdk version is Honeycomb - 3.0 (API level 11) and the compile sdk version is Marshmallow - 6.0 (API level 23)

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:39 pm

I was in touch with VirusTotal, and they increased the rate limits of the API key for the app. So, the browser will be able to scan files before to download them. I need to implement a global cache, but it should not be a problem.
So a big thank for their help and contribution.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:55 pm

Here are some new features:

- URLs are auto suggested in the top bar (data from the historic)
- Top bar can be hidden when scrolling down to have a larger screen (default: top bar hidden when scrolling)
- The cache of the ratings depends of their confidence. Ratings with higher confidence are cached longer than others with a low confidence.

Here is a small video of the browser. Some popups appear because I clicked on the doughnut in the top bar (Once, it is because I clicked on a Google result which redirects to an untrusted site. Then I added to my whitelist).
Sorry, but my clicks are not really visible. So it can be difficult to understand my actions.

Code: Select all

https://matiks.net/MyWOT/tapntrustbrowser.html

I am working on the security of downloads with VT now.