Using WOT, SiteAdvisor, and Google?

Sami

Using WOT, SiteAdvisor, and Google?

Post by Sami » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:56 am

We've received reports that McAfee has updated SiteAdvisor to place its ratings in Google search results on top of WOT ratings, which obviously causes the WOT rating to be hidden under SiteAdvisor's rating.

A closer examination shows that they are using a <span style="font-family: monospace;">position: absolute;</span> CSS style in their rating symbol, which always positions it immediately after the result link, even if there was already something there...

We have added a workaround for this unexpected problem to WOT. If you are using both add-ons, you should start seeing the WOT symbol in Google again in a few hours once your add-on updates its search rules. In the mean while, you can see ratings in Google if you disable SiteAdvisor and reload the page.

phantazm

I'm using WOT, Siteadvisor, XPL and Google

Post by phantazm » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:01 pm

Siteadvisor is not the only potential problem here.
XPL also rates sites, and add icons to Google, Yahoo, MSN, etc...
Furthermore there will only be more 'site-raters' in the future;
they should all be aware of each others presence.
Otherwise we'll get this problem again again...

Sami

Re: Playing nice with others

Post by Sami » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:04 pm

There shouldn't be any problems as long as rating symbols use relative positioning. If they must use absolute positioning, they should at least make room for others instead of overlapping.

logicman

WOT a carry-on!

Post by logicman » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:47 am

I use WOT, SA and AVG8.

After a tyre-screeching start, with WOT and SA jostling for position,
it's now WOT leading by a whisker, with SA and AVG too close to call -
but wait - SA is all over AVG - oh, no! They've tangled! It's a wreck!

:-)

Reprotected

SiteAdvisor going everywhere...

Post by Reprotected » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:07 pm

Yep, SiteAdvisor does many things bad while browsing through Google or other search engines such as for some users, not showing up when needed, symbol goes below a link, etc.

FrankZ0509

Get Rid of SiteAdvisor

Post by FrankZ0509 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:03 am

I would then suggest that everyone get off SiteAdvisor, since WOT offers practically everything it has, and more.

Go for WOT, forget SiteAdvisor.

wehaveitall

If you REALLY want to be secure...

Post by wehaveitall » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:21 am

If you want to be extra secure, you can get wot, siteadvisor, finjan, and possibly interclue. If ALL OF THOSE say it's safe, a site is safe. Wot can make mistakes just like site advisor, but in different ways. Using wot, a user who assumes a site is safe but doesn't download anything may rate it green. Using site advisor, they can call it safe, when all they've tested is the popups. In finjan, they may scan and not find a virus.
All of them have glitches, even though wot has the least. If you want to be REALLY REALLY secure, use all of them.

YoKenny

Mcafee SiteAdvisor does not

Post by YoKenny » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:15 am

Mcafee SiteAdvisor does not work with IE8 beta 2 neither does the Google Toolbar

WoT works great as well as IE7Pro

Fred Mars

Linux/Firefox

Post by Fred Mars » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:00 pm

I am not running a Windows PC anymore. I have switched to Linux and I am quite happy. Is there any advice regarding threats to Linux desktops? I also have a Yahoo! mail account which I access through the browser only, and a gmail account which I access through Thunderbird email client. I have installed WOT in Firefox and am curious as to the safety of what I have currently installed. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sami

Re: Linux/Firefox

Post by Sami » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:54 pm

When it comes to security threats, a Linux desktop is very safe. Of course, you should keep your software updated. I've always configured the iptables firewall on my Linux boxes to reject incoming connections, but I suppose the current distributions usually take care of that for you.