Why I don't trust MyWot

Why I don't trust MyWot

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:28 am

G7W The MyWot member who has posted 729,000 times most of which are negative comments about web sites and most of these web sites are rated as safe by other rating services. Think about that. MyWot.com was created 5 years ago. That means that G7W posts about 145,800 times per year or 400 times a day, every day. That's 16 posts per hour IF he didn't sleep, but lets assume he sleeps for 8 hours a day, that means he posts 25 times an hour for 16 hours a day which means he is spending 2.4 minutes per post to determine a web site is unsafe and write about how unsafe it is. Something doesn't seem right here. Maybe G7W is the one you shouldn't be trusting and since MyWot puts up with this them maybe MyWot is anything but trustworthy.

G7W Profile http://www.mywot.com/en/user/123741

Sami

RE: Why I don't trust MyWot

Post by Sami » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:43 am

Here's a response I posted to this guy's "review" on Mozilla's website, where he also claimed his account and this forum thread were deleted:

Some of our active users spend their time researching web scams and have access to a tool that allows them to rate more than one site at a time. There are probably thousands of domains created every day for various scams, but luckily there are also people who take their time to warn others about them. Still, note that how active someone is doesn't have anything to do with how much their ratings are trusted. You can read more about this from the FAQ:
http://www.mywot.com/wiki/FAQ#Ratings_a ... y_reliable

Anyway, this person owns a website that sells "trust seals" to anyone willing to pay for one and our users his site untrustworthy as a result (the free version looks curiously similar to VeriSign's trust seal). P.S. Neither his account or the forum thread he posted on our website was deleted, which makes one wonder about the truthfulness of his other statements.

Myxt

RE: Why you don't trust MyWot

Post by Myxt » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:27 am

@asafesite

You did the math, but you weren't playing with a full deck of variables. If you had meticulously analyzed one or two copies of 10K identically cloned web sites, how long do you think it would take you to rate the rest of them using a Mass Rating Tool? Suddenly, g7w has got plenty of time for due diligence, regardless of his activity count and your oversimplified math.

Are you a WoT member only for your own benefit, or are you also concerned about Internet safety? If you're concerned about Internet safety, does it make more sense to spend your time advocating good sites, or warning users about bad sites so they don't get scammed? If you do the right thing, and do it well, you're going to leave a wide, red trail. And some uninformed people will point that out and whine about how negative you seem to be.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:55 am

First of all thanks for un-blocking my account. Also here is a return email I received when replying to the email from support@mywot.com this morning

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

support@mywot.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
Message rejected by Google Groups. Please visit http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answ ... wer=188131 to review our Bulk Email Senders Guidelines.

So here is my reply.

Thanks for your reply and also re instating my account.

I had initially asked you to remove comments that stated a few web site domains contained malware which were false. I also asked you to remove comments from others stating that they owned the domain which were false. You refused to do this. Then I posted a true statement about g7w.net and it was deleted within an hour and my account was blocked. Then this morning you re instated my account when you realized this might look to good when I started posting to other sites. I am not going to spend any more time trying to reason with you as it seems your site is extremely un-ethical as pointed out by thousands of other web sites (see link below) and I intend to make sure I do my part to spread the word.

http://tinyurl.com/44hs53e

And for those about to debunk this, that is exactly what MyWot wants, you are all a bunch of zombies that MyWot is using to make money. See http://mywotscam.com/wotscam/

No need to reply.

Sami

Post by Sami » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:22 am

<quote user="asafesite">
First of all thanks for un-blocking my account.
[/quote]

Your account was never blocked. However, a closer inspection shows that you have three more accounts that were blocked last year. Perhaps you were trying to log in to a wrong account...?
Then I posted a true statement about g7w.net and it was deleted within an hour and my account was blocked.
You must be referring to this comment, which wasn't deleted either. Your paranoia is quite worrying.
you are all a bunch of zombies that MyWot is using to make money
We're providing our users a free service that helps them stay safe on the web. Would you rather we sold images that were designed to look like the VeriSign trust seal?

Btw, the mywotscam website you are referring to was set up by this guy. I wouldn't take it very seriously if I were you, it appears to be completely fictional.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:38 am

I didn't need to see the other reviews about how bad MyWot is to know how unethical you are since I experienced it myself first hand but its nice to know others have the same opinion and a lot of them. Do a search on google for MyWot scam and you can see the truth but I'm sure they are all just paranoid too. No doubt you have a good racket going here and as long as you make your top users feel so self important by down voting reputable sites then eventually those top users will only be reading each others comments because less and less people are trusting MyWot BTW the site asafesite.com that you call fake gets its data from Google's Safe Browsing API. I supposed google is fake too ?

Sami

Post by Sami » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:07 pm

<quote user="asafesite">
I didn't need to see the other reviews about how bad MyWot is to know how unethical you are since I experienced it myself
[/quote]

It's hardly unethical if you are unable to log in to a website or find the comments you posted after someone votes them down. I'm also not sure how that's our fault.
but I'm sure they are all just paranoid too.
No, they are all upset about some website's reputation. Sometimes its their own scam site, sometimes it's some type of scam they have fallen for. What's common is that other people don't find the site trustworthy and they have trouble accepting this.
BTW the site asafesite.com that you call fake gets its data from Google's Safe Browsing API. I supposed google is fake too ?
I didn't call it fake, I called it useless. Also, the free "trust seal" probably wouldn't make VeriSign too happy.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:09 pm

<quote user="sami">
Also, the free "trust seal" probably wouldn't make VeriSign too happy.
[/quote]

True. As the similarity between the two logos is higher than 80%, this classifies to be a copyright violation. Maybe someone should send VeriSign a little hint about this? I'm sure that will make them happy. ;-)

PuddinTame

Post by PuddinTame » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:05 pm

What's even weirder is that he has an affiliate link to another verification service, trust-guard (which is legit). It seems kind of strange that he's offering a site verification service, but apparently isn't confident enough in his own service, so offers an alternative (that he makes money off of). If the (in-house) verification service is so excellent/trustworthy/bulletproof why offer a competing product? That doesn't build a lot of trust for me.

Trust Guard affiliate link:
hxxp://asafesite.com/trust-guard/