P. Gordon - Spammer victim

c۞g

P. Gordon - Spammer victim

Post by c۞g » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:03 am

This topic edited: 26 September 2015
Originally posted:
<quote user="c۞g">This is going to be a long thread before it's over...

In my opinion, it will be easier to sort domains with their associated subdomains by posting the domain as the reply to this post, and any new found subdomains as replies into their dedicated topic.

I realize there is much discussion about P. Gordon and the [banned] alias reviewer 898 over at Site Advisor, so I would prefer SA discussions remain on SA, it will help reduce confusion here.

IMO Spam has a purpose other than to waste bandwidth... it's directly related to Scams and Phishing attempts.

All domains listed, please rate Low as Fraud / Scam / Phish
and reference this post in the comment for clarification.[/quote]

Reasons for this edit:
  1. It is an old topic from 6 years ago; domains/sub-domains once referenced (by myself) have long been removed since they either no longer exist or they are no longer involved with spam.
  2. This is an attempt to answer user: pagordon and his thread titled: Punished for running a free web hosting company
    Apparently, not to be confused with user: pgordon
To start, an explanation on the title for this topic.
At the time, the spam targets involved were hosted through many sub-domains from various parent domains, and consisted of numerous "campaigns" so there wasn't much related between them other than the fact that the parent domains had the same registrant entity when performing a whois check. Hence the thread title begins with P Gordon. Adhering to the Forum Guidelines, keeping forum topic titles short so Spammer was simply added at the end of the thread title, since that was the abusive action of the listed domains, hence: P Gordon - Spammer.

Spam is one example of offensive material.
If you look at my replies that had listed domains, you'll notice I make reference to other spam filtering sites [content providers] as an attempt to verify the validity of domains I had posted. For replies which didn't make specific reference, previous references may be inferred.

WOT's scope is about rating domains, read the description for the Reputation discussions forum. Every domain owner is responsible for the content of and action(s) provided by their domain(s) including any sub-domains. Understand that when performing a whois check, the entity listed as Registrant may be:
  • Authentic: individual, business, corporate
  • Bogus / fabricated
  • Forged / hi-jacked
I generally do not take the time to try to verify a registrant's entity, it's too time consuming for me as a volunteer within these forums. Also, I do not attempt to contact registered owners about an abusive domain even if it's been hacked (example: malware), if I were, it would be to the domain's Registrar who is the appropriate authority to send abuse complaints to since the abuse is a violation of their Terms of Service / Acceptable Use policy.

No one has been "punished" from this [old] topic, no business suffered loss of any kind because of it. No business entity, including:
Getaway.com LLC
Insider.com LLC
InsuranceBroker.com LLC
@Myplace.com LLC
have been "named" or identified as being engaged in:
spamming, phishing, scamming, or other criminal activities.

This topic's entire purpose was to identify domains which should not be trusted by users having the WOT add-on installed in one or more of their browsers. Of course any WOT user who disagrees with a reputation can rate the domain themselves and avoid seeing a warning screen pop-up if they gave good ratings.

User pagordon substantiates this thread:
Examples:
phishing
Union Bank of Nigeria PLC
phishing
ACN Mobile - reference
spam
Scam products promoted

pagordon also admits that a large quantity of domains / sub-domains were involved.
Many if not all had been referenced throughout this thread.

I've edited the OP's topic title for this thread, but it will not change the base URL, it's how the forum software works and is beyond my control.

Quoting: We struggled for years to fight spammers opening accounts there and eventually were forced to shut down the entire hosting service as a result. Unsurprisingly this is when people stopped complaining
The free hosting service was shut down in 2010, the same time replies referencing domains in this thread came to an end (Nov 2010). It's too bad pagordon was not aware of WOT back in 2009, this entire thread could have taken a different course. Unfortunately, I cannot change the past (nor can he) but in the present I can say I find it admirable that he took the correct path in closing down a service which [unintentionally] provided a means for scam artists to peddle "product' via spam, and I make a personal apology to Mr. Gordon for misinterpreting the scope / purpose of this topic.

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:22 am

LISTED IN BLACKLIST!
ips.backscatterer.org

List of domains/hosts

old thread; list removed

c۞g

unitedstates.com

Post by c۞g » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:27 am

LISTED IN BLACKLIST!
postmaster.rfc-ignorant.org
dsn.rfc-ignorant.org
abuse.rfc-ignorant.org
access.redhawk.org

List of domains/hosts

old thread; list removed

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:40 am

List of domains/hosts

old thread; list removed

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:03 am

List of domains/hosts

old thread; list removed

LiVeRpUdLiAn932

Rated and commented 1

Post by LiVeRpUdLiAn932 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:30 pm

Two dots at guitarist364.myplace.com.
You'll Never Walk Alone

c۞g

myplace.com

Post by c۞g » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:45 pm

LISTED IN BLACKLIST!
dsn.rfc-ignorant.org
abuse.rfc-ignorant.org

List of domains/hosts

old thread; list removed

cotojo

All done

Post by cotojo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:44 pm

My spell of green was short lived LOL

Colin
http://freepcsecurity.co.uk
"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it" - Winston Churchill

phantazm

Done 4

Post by phantazm » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:56 pm

Rated and commented...

That was some long lists; saturday seems to have started quite red sofar...

nooby-daking

alot of sites -.-'

Post by nooby-daking » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:01 pm

alot of sites -.-'