mmowned.com -- distributes "phish kits" but is green-lit

amishrabbit

mmowned.com -- distributes "phish kits" but is green-lit

Post by amishrabbit » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:32 pm

I've spent a little time browsing around this web forum. It is essentially a trading post for "phish kits" which can be used to defraud gamers.

The subforum http://www.mmowned.com/forums/wow-scams/ is of particular interest, because its members and the people who post messages there appear to have no qualms about the purpose of their creations: They are creating tools and webpage forgeries expressly for the purpose of committing fraud.

Please take a look at the site and rate accordingly, if you agree.

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:07 pm

WhoIs shows the owner has another site;

simianplay.com

Seems to be marketing related.

This particular site is hosted at 67.214.139.133, which is on the Invision network;

Invision.com, Inc. INVISION-NET-02 (NET-67-214-128-0-1)
67.214.128.0 - 67.214.143.255
The New York NOC, Inc. NYNOC-NET-01 (NET-67-214-139-0-1)
67.214.139.0 - 67.214.139.255

http://hosts-file.net/?s=mmowned.com

In addition, one of the adverts on the mmowned.com forums sent NOD32 into a hissy fit;

hxxp://www.mmowned.com/adspot/adpeeps.php?bfunction=fetchad&uid=100000&cid=383830&aid=35&atype=2&bzone=left_bar_middle&bsize=160x600

Which loaded;

banner.adtrgt.com

Screenie:
http://hosts-file.net/misc/imgadtrgt.com_-_66.179.234.169_-_NOD32.gif

Regards
Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

MysteryFCM

Update ....

Post by MysteryFCM » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:19 pm

I've just spoken with Invision.com about this, and they've asked me to send them the information + evidence so they can take a look.

I'll post back if I hear back from them.

Regards
Steven Burn

iantuttle

This is unfortunate if true,

Post by iantuttle » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:25 pm

This is unfortunate if true, as the rating is quite high...

amishrabbit

Siteadvisor user comments

Post by amishrabbit » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:36 pm

Siteadvisor user comments mentioned that the ad host used by this site performs browser exploits. I visited the site using a VM. I'd urge anyone else who visits to be cautious and, at the very least, use Firefox with NoScript installed.

phantazm

Scammers delight

Post by phantazm » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:33 am

You're right, the subforum ( www.mmowned.com/forums/wow-scams/ ) is kinda 'interesting'. At the top one can read this: "We do not condone scamming, this section is meant for people to read about scamming so they can prevent being scammed themselves.". Really..? Clicking 'WoW Scams' reveals this, as one of the subforums first stickies:

"Basically seen alot of Scamming team threads and the looking for a partner thread is kinda old so here is a new one that ALL you scammer people w/e can post in looking for/offering services.
Looking for a partner template to use:
How long have you been scamming:
What are your specialties and what fields do you have experience in (IE phishing, data mining, trade scamming, etc.)
What you have to offer in a partnership:
Your average weekly account intake:
Your average weekly gold intake:
What you hope to accomplish in a joint scamming effort:
Your MSN/AIM/Email whatever you want people to contact you by"

http://www.mmowned.com/forums/wow-scams-help/240184-new-looking-partner-looking-setup-scamming-team-heres-your-place.html

There are plenty of replies to this thread, and none I read wanted to
"prevent being scammed themselves". Rather the opposite.

This site looks like a scammers delight...

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:23 pm

I've had it killed :o)

Regards
Steven Burn

Dragonshadow

You're an idiot, we were just moving ;)

Post by Dragonshadow » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:48 pm

I'm a moderator on the website, and no, you didn't have it killed lol

We were just moving hosts
http://mmowned.net has details on it

And trust me, the scamming section is one of the most hated sections on the site, its full of noobish leechers... We delete keyloggers and the like, but the section really IS meant to protect you FROM scams x_x

Its kinda just blown up

And to the original poster, don't say we are a trading post for that sh*t. The site is devoted to exploits & cheats for mmos, not scamming.

MysteryFCM

Just moving huh?

Post by MysteryFCM » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:11 pm

.... then explain why Invision informed me they'd shut off the hosting for the site, and further, explain why the sites owner sent me the following a few hours ago?

*********************************************************************************
Name: Roger Kipe
E-mail: [REMOVED]
How did you find us?: Other
... Other: I own mmowned.com
Site navigation: Very easy
Comments:

Mr. Burn,

It is my understanding that you have instigated the shut down of one of my sites. This site is a large community that plays world of warcraft and they talk about it mostly. We have always removed anything that is malicious at the first site of it or at any complaint. If you have sent complaints to our host they have not forwarded them on to us. I take these things very seriously and would have resolved it immediately.

Do you have specific links to any malware or anything else that was on our site that I could take off when I get the sites up and running again. Also it should be noted that you claimed we develop and distribute
1. Exploits
2. Malware
3. Phishing packs

This is simply untrue. We are a community of users and while it is possible that someone posted a link to a URL that held a Malware program, it was certainly not developed or distributed by us. It would have harmed our users as well and we would have removed any such item as soon as we found out about it. We have several Moderators whos job it is to ensure these type of things do not take place.

Roger
*********************************************************************************

Regards
Steven Burn

phygar

I can't explain that...

Post by phygar » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:29 pm

I can't explain that... But it is up http://mmowned.com/