Time to switch adblockers?

Site-rater

Time to switch adblockers?

Post by Site-rater » Tue May 03, 2016 10:54 pm

Popular adblocker AdBlock Plus now has a potentially iffy new partner.
[red]http[/red]://arstechnica.com/business/2016/05/adblock-firm-teams-up-with-pirate-bay-founder-on-new-micropayments-system/
They are now teaming up with Flattr, a company founded by convicted copyright infringer Peter Sunde (his most famous website is blacklisted as [strike][yellow]WRZ[/yellow][/strike] (edit: [red]EMD[/red]) on WOT-trusted source hpHosts) who goes by the pseudonym brokep.

Perhaps it is time for ABP users to make the switch to a safer adblocker?

Note that flattr.com has a free-tier CloudFlare MITM certificate, and flattrplus.com has a domain validated certificate. A legitimate financial-related service should in my opinion have an [green]EV[/green] certificate in order to validate the identity of the organization.

Apollo702

RE: Time to switch adblockers?

Post by Apollo702 » Wed May 04, 2016 2:44 am

[green] There is a far better solution: Stop using direct adblockers entirely and go with something more effective.

Let us start with the issues with the common adblockers:

[*] They are heavy on resources. They may even slow or crash your browser- especially if you run slow, heavy browsers such as [/green][yellow] Chrome [/yellow][green] or [/green][yellow] Failfox[/yellow][green]. Run PaleMoon instead.

[*]They do little or nothing to block [/green][red]spying[/red][green]. They may block the formation of the ad- but not necessarily the underlying mechanisms.

[*] They may be selling which ads are being blocked while allowing "[/green]acceptable[green]" ads that they likely got paid to let through. The whole business model may be a racket.

[*]They almost all rely on subscriptions. How does one know what the subscription is doing?

[*] They give nearly zero user control.

Now lettuce look at a vastly superior way of doing it:

Run NoScript in conjunction with Request Policy and perhaps Ghostery( set it to block nothing. It also sells data on what is getting blocked and it functions best IMO as a labeler- not a blocker. The other 2 handle the blocking and duplication leads to complication.) I then would supplement them with other blockers such as Quickjava, Cookie Whitelist With Buttons and Better Privacy- to name a few.

The advantages of taking this route:

[*] There is no 3rd party. Nobody can sell any data or [/green][red]spy[/red][green] on you. You can completely shut these things down!

[*] You have total control. You can allow or block anything you want.

[*] Unlike the automatic guillotines you can use them to nearly completely research a site and everything attempting to run in the background.

[*] They are far lighter on resources and bandwidth. In fact, when run properly one can vastly lower the resources consumed per page.

[*] You can make bad word plays when you run them such as turning "[/green]let us[green]" into "[/green]lettuce[green]."

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Wed May 04, 2016 2:46 am

Please don't turn this thread into a flamewar. This thread is not about defaming first-tier web browsers.

Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 » Wed May 04, 2016 3:04 am

[green] I gave the solution to the question you asked. If you don't want to listen you are free do to whatever you want. Others can harvest this and actually solve the problem.

Have a nice day.[/green]

OctoberInTheChair

Post by OctoberInTheChair » Wed May 04, 2016 7:51 am

<quote user="apollo702">
[green] I gave the solution to the question you asked. If you don't want to listen you are free do to whatever you want. Others can harvest this and actually solve the problem.

Have a nice day.[/green]
[/quote]

I found your reply very informative and helpful. I have used ghostery for years and never thought about what should have been clearly obvious. I also use AB plus. Time to rethink both.

I have the palemoon browser. I'm gonna mess around with it a bit later today. Thanks!

Nimbex

Post by Nimbex » Wed May 04, 2016 2:26 pm

I'm using Firefox and do have AdBlock Plus, but also running NoScript, Self-Destructing Cookies, Better Privacy, Ghostery and Webutation. Webutation rates web pages and scans for viruses, it is similar to WOT. The collusion with AdBlock Plus and Flattr is making me very nervous. I can probably go without AdBlock and not even notice any difference.

I will probably disable AdBlock Plus and see how it works out, then decide if I should go without it or switch to another ad blocker.

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Wed May 04, 2016 4:08 pm

<quote user="apollo702">

Have a nice day.[/green]
[/quote]

Your post like a lot of your posts is full of browser bashing. The subject at hand is the collusion between an adblocker and a micropayment service run by a convicted copyright violator. Personally I have switched to uBlock Origin which does not have any built-in whitelists for this junk and is supposed to be more lightweight than ABP. And yes uBlock Origin is perfectly compatible with Palemoon as well as most of the more popular browsers.

Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 » Wed May 04, 2016 8:13 pm

<quote user="site-rater">
Your post like a lot of your posts is full of browser bashing.
[/quote]

[green] Indeed it is indeed full of browser bashing as I am chair of The Browser Bashing Society and I have a proposal for you:

[*]Install and run PaleMoon- not even with my modifications, maybe just run a stock model, and run [/green][yellow]FF[/yellow][green], and[/green][yellow] Chrome[/yellow][green]. If you instead run a conventional adblocker with any of them expect the results to significantly worsen.

[*]Then open up 100 varied tabs in each and see which browsers can handle it. Repeat the process one at a time with those same 100 in each browser.

[*] Repeat step one- but this time open up 500 tabs and see which browser[strike]s[/strike] hasn't completely melted down.

[*]Open up 1000 tabs and see which browser[strike]s[/strike] [strike]haven't[/strike] hasn't crashed your entire computer and which one hasn't flinched.

[*]If you have the processor and the ram do it with more and see which browser still is as snappy as if you had only 1 tab open. With any other browser at this point you probably would have had to manually powered down your computer as it likely would be completely seized up...

The bottom line:
---------------------------------------------------------

Just because something is big name doesn't mean we owe them a thing. Most corporate browsers steadily are getting worse- fortunately, there are greener pastures out there. [/green]

hxxp://www.palemoon.org/

hxxp://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-win32.shtml

hxxp://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-win64.shtml

[green]Thank you everybody for reading and for your time. [/green]

destinationtruth

Post by destinationtruth » Thu May 05, 2016 11:58 pm

<quote user="apollo702">
[green] Indeed it is indeed full of browser bashing as I am chair of The Browser Bashing Society and I have a proposal for you:

[*]Install and run PaleMoon- not even with my modifications, maybe just run a stock model, and run [/green][yellow]FF[/yellow][green], and[/green][yellow] Chrome[/yellow][green]. If you instead run a conventional adblocker with any of them expect the results to significantly worsen.

[*]Then open up 100 varied tabs in each and see which browsers can handle it. Repeat the process one at a time with those same 100 in each browser.

[*] Repeat step one- but this time open up 500 tabs and see which browser[strike]s[/strike] hasn't completely melted down.

[*]Open up 1000 tabs and see which browser[strike]s[/strike] [strike]haven't[/strike] hasn't crashed your entire computer and which one hasn't flinched.

[*]If you have the processor and the ram do it with more and see which browser still is as snappy as if you had only 1 tab open. With any other browser at this point you probably would have had to manually powered down your computer as it likely would be completely seized up...

The bottom line:
---------------------------------------------------------

Just because something is big name doesn't mean we owe them a thing. Most corporate browsers steadily are getting worse- fortunately, there are greener pastures out there. [/green]

hxxp://www.palemoon.org/

hxxp://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-win32.shtml

hxxp://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-win64.shtml

[green]Thank you everybody for reading and for your time. [/green]
[/quote]

Sorry this time going to disagree. Palemoon just is annoying and fails to accept add-ons I prefer.
Now really a thousand open tabs. . . Not my browser that will crash and burn, but me; even at one hundred tabs is a pointless task.

NotBuyingIt

Off-topic posts will be removed

Post by NotBuyingIt » Fri May 06, 2016 6:10 am

@Apollo702,
I removed your off-topic comment because it was hijacking the OP's thread. You are invited to start your own thread for your discussion.