Appeal to WOT Staff

Appeal to WOT Staff

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:34 am

Dear WOT Staff,

I would like to humbly suggest adding a mechanism or algorithm to detect and stop spam down-voting.

I run a development firm where all we do is develop websites and develop open-source (and free) security software for websites that is published to Wordpress.org.
This software is highly vetted by universities and considered clean and secure by both Wordpress and other file distribution websites (like Softpedia).

Our company maintains a 100% customer satisfaction by surveys we take and those who use our software properly love it, because it simply works. Our company has maintained a A+ BBB score for over 3 years (without being accredited), and a A+ Angie's List Rating (without ever paying for a listing). From every metric we have, our customers love us, we follow all local and federal laws, even laws we don't have to such as the California (COPPA) Act just ensure our clients have the best services possible.

The problem is, every time we update our own anti-spam algorithms for our software, we get hit with spam down-votes. That is, we have developed software that will globally block spambots. The software is also used on major spammers websites (think of a lockpicker using your locks to understand the credibility that offers) so this is the only thing we can conjure that would upset folks, but that is an extreme minority.

For nearly 3 years we maintained a perfects score on WOT, then two years ago, we released a huge update for our free software, and was bumped down to a score of 70. After posting here about that incident, the community responded by spam-up-voting (I think) or some moderators were able to see spam votes and removed them because the score was restored to a near-perfect score of 95.

Then, just recently I noticed the score has dropped again to 70, 1 shade from a warning. Every comment on our page is "Good site" or some positive note with no rating at all, but nothing negative.

I'm pleading to please look into your metrics and make it a little harder for a spammer or group of spammers to so drastically affect a website's score.

Thanks,

Mike W
Goldsboro Web Development

https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/gold ... opment.com

A440

RE: Appeal to WOT Staff

Post by A440 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:35 am

Your complaint is noted by me and I have supplied a rating by me, at least.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:07 am

<quote user="a440">
Your complaint is noted by me and I have supplied a rating by me, at least.
[/quote]

Did you notice the immediate spam-down-votes you got on your comment?

t-

Post by t- » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:05 pm

<quote user="wells.michael">
[/quote]

Don't worry about it, those comment downvotes don't mean anything. It just shows someone is really sad and has nothing better to do. As for your website it is safe and I'll rate it green.

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:29 am

<quote user="wells.michael">
[/quote]

Looks like A440's scorecard comment got only one "spam-down-vote", but three spam-up-votes - or is it only "spam" when you disagree? Are you hoping to be (1) famous, and yet (b) spotless? I've yet to see that happen in business, politics, or religion.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:38 pm

<quote user="myxt">
Looks like A440's scorecard comment got only one "spam-down-vote", but three spam-up-votes - or is it only "spam" when you disagree? Are you hoping to be (1) famous, and yet (b) spotless? I've yet to see that happen in business, politics, or religion.
[/quote]

As soon as he replied, the second he replied he got a downvote. Over the course of a few hours, sure, he got up-votes. But I'm sorry when someone comments and immediately gets a downvote, there is a bot attending to the scorecard because it's not like we're a multi-national corporation with thousands of pissed off customers.

Look at the scorecard again. The confidence and overall rating of the site are higher for "child safety". It is 81% with a confidence of 1. The main rating is 62% with 0 confidence. Seriously, how is that even possible or logical?

This his honestly shattering my trust in WOT. From the beginning we were told spamming was impossible, and we were told that vote manipulation were impossible. Neither of which seem to me to be true :(

I don't want to be famous OR spotless. I'm happy with the "Child Safety" of 81%, even though I don't understand how my site could harm a child in the least, but to each his own. What I'm not happy about is having 100% customer satisfaction, A+ BBB rating, A+ Angie's List rating, a very transparent Privacy Policy, very transparent terms of service, and somehow, SOMEHOW, we have just a hair higher than 50% user safety rating on WOT. So, someone do explain to me how I'm supposed to trust WOT.

All I want is an honest rating, not one tainted by some pissed off script kiddy that can't crack our security software that we give out freely.

I apologize if I come across abrasive, but I'm at my witts end with WOT at the moment.

A440

Post by A440 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:52 am

I understand your concern since your business does seem legitimate.
IMHO, there could be a problem considering how the site is rated. I simply do not find any reasons to downgrade this sites' reputation.

I noticed that your facebook page contained spam for bestfblikes.com – a known "promoter fake social credibility, popularity, and/or value of online accounts, artifacts, persons, products, services, web sites, and/or other assets." which suggests to me that someone could be going after your WOT rating as a means of soliciting your interest in boosting your site.

I am only guessing at the causes at this time, though.

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:53 am

Sorry to say, Michael, but if your product is truly effective against bad actors, they will certainly try to give you a black eye. WoT is resistant to manipulation, but not impervious - no one is. A few bucks will buy thousands, even tens of thousands of micro-workers who individually have negligible clout but collectively can manage to move the needle, so to speak.

From another angle, if I were some uppity snob dev, I might ding your site for laying claim to majesty with spinach in your teeth:
"circunstances"? - from GWD's front page ("Your web site doesn't have to be intense").

Don't you have any customers who would be willing to rate your site (without compensation)?

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:08 am

Design suggestions: &nbsp; _https://www.woorank.com/en/www/goldsborowebdevelopment.com
Controversy is a reputation risk: &nbsp; _https://twitter.com/leewells2000 &nbsp; _https://twitter.com/olblindjimmy

GWD isn't wildly popular, yet it has been DDoSed more than once:
_https://www.facebook.com/goldsborowebdevelopmen ... 7102896626
Someone willing to go to this much effort may go further.

Ignore the "thumbs up/down" flags in WoT scorecards; they have zero effect on your aggregate trust score and color.

NotBuyingIt

just a wild guess, but

Post by NotBuyingIt » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:48 pm

Perhaps Goldsboro, North Carolina boy scouts or maybe a shocked and displeased client might have rated goldsborowebdevelopment.com (scorecard) less-than-perfect in the areas of ethics or of discrimination. Unfortunately, no scorecard comment currently discusses it, so I'm merely guessing based upon a preliminary web search.

2013 controversy: "Our Recent Decision | Goldsboro Web Development" from Google's cache of https://goldsborowebdevelopment.com/article/2013/05/our-recent-decision/ (as it appeared on Jan 30, 2017 09:28:00 GMT.) The URL currently returns an HTTP 404 ("not found") error.

Last week, the Boy Scouts of America made a decision to repeal a ban on homosexual boys.... However, as a volunteer, as a donor, and as a father of two boys in the program closely watching this decision unfold, it was far from harmless. ”

Safety and Security issues published soon after the events that unfolded opened the eyes of many people including myself. Issues such as CDC articles stating that of all adolescents diagnosed with HIV in the past TWENTY (approx) years NINETY-ONE PERCENT of those are homosexual boys.... ”

This lead to our decision that we would sever all ties with the Boy Scouts of America including funding, benefits (such as giving parents and employed leaders time off for their meetings and Eagle Scouts hiring preference), and sponsorship. ”

We are first and foremost a company whom was founded on the principals of Christianity and a commitment to both our customers and our employees. ”

About the Author
A US Army Veteran and a veteran CEO, Michael brings leadership and technical know-how to the table with a high level of ethics and expectations from his team. ”

[Edit: Added 03-March-2017 15:25 UTC] I haven't rated Wells' website. However, I may need to disclose that I am giving the following scorecard comment which I just now noticed, a "thumbs-down" for its misunderstanding.
wells.michael &nbsp; &nbsp; 02-05-2016
I'm done. After seeing the score of this twitter page based solely on the man's political views, I'm uninstalling WOT as of this comment and I do not plan to ever return. It is ridiculous how the liberals that run rampant here tout "FREEEEEEEEEEEDOM OF SPEEEEEEEEEECH" and then rate websites down in effort to SILENCE them because they don't align with their beliefs. This, WOT has become the epitome and text-book definition of BIGOTS.
※ I trust
&nbsp;