Additional security functions and WOT – where do we go next?

coolstud

Additional security functions and WOT

Post by coolstud » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:00 pm

Would like to see the security settings passworded so no one can change the settings like the parent controllers on most security packages.

Deborah S.

Additional security functions and WOT – where do we go next?

Post by Deborah S. » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:13 pm

We received interesting feedback and requests from the recent user survey about how WOT should develop its security protection. So just how far would you like to see WOT go? What is a likely next step?

Esa S.

Parential control features

Post by Esa S. » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:08 am

Thank you for a good idea Coolstud. Password protection could be added to settings, and also to the warning / blocking screen to enable the bypassing. Since WOT is technically an add-on, we can't prevent children from disabling the entire add-on by using the browser menu (or deleting the entire browser and re-installing it without WOT).

YoKenny

It would take any Internet

Post by YoKenny » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:23 pm

It would take any Internet savvy youngster about as fast as they can log on to the Internet and see that WoT is active to disable it if they desire.

Responsible Parenting is needed here and the responsible use of the Internet taught to today's youngsters that know everything the minute it is on Twitter or Facebook.

Agree

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:28 pm

Yes, YoKenny, I certainly agree with the notion of responsible parenting.

"I don't know what's wrong with these kids these days . . . I don't know what this world is coming to."

Our parents said that when we wanted to see Elvis Presley on the Ed Sullivan show, and now we're saying it (at least I am anyway). Guess it's a perpetual refrain for every generation.

wehaveitall

My previous suggestions

Post by wehaveitall » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:29 pm

I still am pushing for the Ideas I had recommended a while ago in this post: http://www.mywot.com/en/forum/1443-new-wot-features

WOT ROCKS!

Lozfan

Here is an idea....

Post by Lozfan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:14 pm

On any site that would be blocked by the user's security settings, block any scripts on that site. Some scripts might be hidden enough that they can install various malware even if the warning pops up. (ie. viruses, keyloggers,ect.) If added, make sure WOT still works if combined with addons like Firefox's NoScript.

coolstud

It would take any Internet

Post by coolstud » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:52 am

hi yokenny

"Responsible Parenting is needed here and the responsible use of the Internet taught to today's youngsters "

thats what i am doing three steps ahead of my children i have blocked editing the brower with userchrome.css thats why i love firefox and WOT will just make my perfect browser if passworded.

greyfoxsylux

agree to password feature

Post by greyfoxsylux » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:09 pm

i entirely agree to the password feature. My brother's constantly end up in sites despite the fact the WOT warns them so they simply bypass it and then wreak havoc on my computer and then everything is destroyed. Having the password code would most certainly help.

YoKenny

Just don't let him use

Post by YoKenny » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:26 pm

Just don't let him use it.

"There is no technical solution to a management problem!"