Affiliate programs are NOT scams

FreeiPhone4

Affiliate programs are NOT scams

Post by FreeiPhone4 » Fri May 25, 2012 3:36 pm

Tbh I don't think I need to post more than title! However, I will...

I have noticed throughout WOT many affiliate programs and sites have been listed as scams.

I agree that there are many sites out there that get you to sign up and then text you, or mail you etc with weekly fees which are very costly (eg Sign up to win an iPhone, enter your mobile number... oh, and it'll cost you £10 a week!) - That is a scam.

However, there are many other Affiliate programs that are NOT scams:

Amazon affiliate program
LOVEFiLM affiliate program
Netflix affiliate program
Intuit affiliate program
Kudos affiliate program
Little Bid Tasty affiliate program
Xpango affiliate program
GoDaddy affiliate program
Commission Junction affiliate network
Freebiejeebies affiliate program
APPLE iTUNES affiliate program
Google Adwords affiliate program

+thousands more legitimate affiliate programs!

It's simply how people make money online.

And for those of you who are unfamiliar with the concept of an affiliate program then have a read of the "How Stuff Works" explanation: http://money.howstuffworks.com/affiliate-program1.htm

So anyway, I hope that list opens your eyes a bit and not just list any website that makes money through advertising as a scam website.

alphacentauri

RE: Affiliate programs are NOT scams

Post by alphacentauri » Fri May 25, 2012 9:19 pm

Some of the programs you mention have good reputations because they enforce their terms of service very strictly.

Whatever procedure Amazon uses to prevent its affiliates from spamming, it is very effective. Netflix, on the other hand, is frequently involved in those schemes where people are promised some expensive "free" item, but only after purchasing items and taking out loans that will end up costing them far more than just buying the promised reward would have. However they are managing their affiliate program, it's not preventing that kind of abuse.

So you are right, affiliate programs are not intrinsically evil, but too many companies think it's an easy, cheap way to market themselves and they don't realize how much of a commitment it will take to prevent abuse.

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Fri May 25, 2012 9:49 pm

So we have established that some affiliate programs are scams (fake web traffic, magic beans, ponzi schemes) and some are not.

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Fri May 25, 2012 10:41 pm

Code: Select all

1] complete offer 
2] refer friends
3] receive "free gift"

Now these types of "affiliate offers" are simple scams.
For example: (IP:95.154.244.116)
3ds-downloads.com
freebiejeebiesworld.com
freeidevice.com
goodies4free.com
newgadgets4you.com
quickfreeiphone.com

Post by Guest » Sat May 26, 2012 12:35 am

"Amazon affiliate program"
@OP = I am a customer of Amazon and I do intend to complain about this scheme today !

This excerpt comes a micro affiliated response in another blog

[Note this would not be shown to the general public and I would not mention mturkforum on the hits - so this would not be considered advertising and thus it would not break any Amazon policies]

Amazon have weathered all kind of economic problems by being transparent in their business transactions , but they have been duped in this program
I cannot trust any company that will use micro workers to enhance or manipulate a system of trust , let it be Amazon or WOT for it would be a lie and a scam !
I will rate red ALL sites that promotes this manipulation as I wrote once , this is the latest threat to net and is a big one
There is someone who deserves the credit for an amazing job done in this area , when the time comes I do hope this is done
In the mean time I recommend reading
https://www.mywot.com/en/blog?page=1

Thanks

jeff134

Post by jeff134 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:46 am

Are you really trying to come and say that Freebie Jeebies is the same as Amazon's affiliate program?

With Amazon there is typically some type of referral commission paid when a customer clicks on an ad that an affiliate has placed. Then when the customer BUYS a product there is a commission.

Pretty straight forward.

With your apple.freebijeebies.co.uk it clearly states on the first page: Apple iPad 2. Free.

How is it free, affiliates get paid for sending people to this page, to fill out a form, to sign up for something which costs money in order to get something for "free"

Affiliate programs are not all scams, there are just a lot of affiliates that push the boundaries

I looked through your ratings and noticed they were pretty heavy on some of those sites so just assuming they are yours, or you are an affiliate for them, could be wrong and off side to assume that.

I just take issue to sites that say FREE IPAD or whatever....... all you have to do is............ that costs money that is not up front.

Protactinium

Post by Protactinium » Sat May 26, 2012 4:21 am

Tricky thing, the English language.

What the OP said was "Affiliate programs are NOT scams," but this statement is ambiguous in meaning, because it's not clear if it carries existential import or not.

What he probably really meant was "It is NOT the case that affiliate programs are always scams."
But nobody talks that way except logicians and armchair philosophers.

Generally speaking, in the absence of specific qualifiers, the tendency is for people to assume a general meaning rather than an absolute one. "Pizza is tasty" doesn't mean "Every pizza ever made and that ever will be made is tasty." It means that IN GENERAL, in the speaker's experience, pizza tends to be tasty.

FreeiPhone4

Post by FreeiPhone4 » Sat May 26, 2012 6:38 am

<quote user="jeff134">
Are you really trying to come and say that Freebie Jeebies is the same as Amazon's affiliate program?

With Amazon there is typically some type of referral commission paid when a customer clicks on an ad that an affiliate has placed. Then when the customer BUYS a product there is a commission.

Pretty straight forward.

With your apple.freebijeebies.co.uk it clearly states on the first page: Apple iPad 2. Free.

How is it free, affiliates get paid for sending people to this page, to fill out a form, to sign up for something which costs money in order to get something for "free"

Affiliate programs are not all scams, there are just a lot of affiliates that push the boundaries

I looked through your ratings and noticed they were pretty heavy on some of those sites so just assuming they are yours, or you are an affiliate for them, could be wrong and off side to assume that.

I just take issue to sites that say FREE IPAD or whatever....... all you have to do is............ that costs money that is not up front.
[/quote]

I'm trying to say that I have used every single affiliate program in that list I made successfully. I have always been paid and have made a fair amount of money. And this has never been at the expenses of someone else as be it a click-through link or referral program, the user has always got through to what they were looking for.

With regards to Freebiejeebies that was mentioned, just because it has free products doesn't mean your stuck with choosing them; personally I've received over £2k in bank transfers, as well as products. It works in the same was as a commission based program, each referral earns you £20. Furthermore, it is clearly stated (on the official website and all affiliate websites linking to it) that an offer must be completed. This activates your account and helps towards covering the cost of your gift (eg you sign up to Lovefilm and buy 2 months for 1 (£9.99)... Freebiejeebies get paid by Lovefilm (£40)... You get some of that from Freebiejeebies (£20)... If you look on the home page of quickfreeiphone.com you'll see that it's clearly explained!

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Sat May 26, 2012 7:28 am

@Protactinium - Language in general is peculiar. "Tasty" does not always mean "good tasty", it just refers to intensity.
Logicians are effective. Armchair philosophers are not. That's why generalists hire lawyers, mechanics, and programmers.
@FreeiPhone4 - [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TANSTAAFL t=_blank]TINSTAAFL[/url]

FreeiPhone4

Post by FreeiPhone4 » Sat May 26, 2012 7:42 am

<quote user="myxt">
@FreeiPhone4 - [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TANSTAAFL t=_blank]TINSTAAFL[/url]
[/quote]

Agreed, which is why I explained the completing an offer bit. The company pays FJ more than FJ pay you for signing up to the company. So the company get a new customer, FJ make a profit, you get paid. Nothing about a free lunch but everyone is happy!