An unhappy site owner started an email campaign against WOT

alphacentauri

RE: An unhappy site owner started an email campaign against WOT

Post by alphacentauri » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:34 am

<quote user="sami">
Speaking of that, have you seen [url=https://www.mywot.com/support/how-wot-works t=_self]this page[/url]? We are trying to find a way to explain the concept in a more understandable way to those who might not be as technically savvy as the folks here on the forum. What do you think?
[/quote]

I don't know if it will make WOT more clear to the people who can't figure it out from the information you have already provided. They don't take time to read. The graphic didn't make it more clear to me. There's so much going on that it's hard to see where you should begin to read, so you don't get the sense that there is a step-by-step explanation.

I think any graphic should address the misunderstandings we see over and over. For example:
- WOT is not an antivirus/antimalware/cybernanny
- WOT is about trust, and it tries to overcome the fact that trust is subjective by collecting opinions from multiple users
- Users who have proven reliable in the past get higher weights, but it's not related to the number of posts once a minimum amount of contributions are made to establish a reputation
- Comments are not ratings.
- The WOT seal is only available to sites that already have a good reputation, so buying one is not a condition of getting rated well.
- As in the real world, when people discuss religion and politics, things can get weird.

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:25 am

<quote user="alphacentauri">
I don't know if it will make WOT more clear to the people who can't figure it out from the information you have already provided. They don't take time to read. The graphic didn't make it more clear to me. There's so much going on that it's hard to see where you should begin to read, so you don't get the sense that there is a step-by-step explanation.

I think any graphic should address the misunderstandings we see over and over. For example:
- WOT is not an antivirus/antimalware/cybernanny
- WOT is about trust, and it tries to overcome the fact that trust is subjective by collecting opinions from multiple users
- Users who have proven reliable in the past get higher weights, but it's not related to the number of posts once a minimum amount of contributions are made to establish a reputation
- Comments are not ratings.
- The WOT seal is only available to sites that already have a good reputation, so buying one is not a condition of getting rated well.
- As in the real world, when people discuss religion and politics, things can get weird.
[/quote]

I thought the same about the new WOT page. (I didn't comment or come up with any suggestions as I have pre-occupied with other things outside of WOT.) The suggestions you came up with here, pretty much hit the nail on the head and should be given serious consideration by WOT in their implementation.

Peter Joans

Post by Peter Joans » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:25 am

Thats pretty bad. When someone gets bad rating from WOT users.He/She starts a campaign against WOT instead of improve their website.

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:32 am

<quote user="peter joans">
Thats pretty bad. When someone gets bad rating from WOT users.He/She starts a campaign against WOT instead of improve their website.
[/quote]

Indeed. Such is the obstinate nature of those people.

Scott Ellis

Post by Scott Ellis » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:43 am

Unhappy with WOT Is this a new Thing? Most of the webmasters that have a negative WOT ranking are always Unhappy with WOT.

SherriH

Post by SherriH » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:03 am

<quote user="kraftwerk">
Great

And then the Developer comments the negative post with comments wich suggest that the guy who rated "just do not understand the system and the greate possabilities to fix a wrong rating at his website" People wich are writing a half site of text about a plugin to warn other people to use it, are knowing exactly how it works and why it is bad.

So if you write a lot (means: Know lots of words and enjoy trolling)that's the proof that you know about what you are writing :D
[/quote]

Don't you think there is some truth to this? I have seen sites get bad ratings because people do not agree with what the site says. MyWoT is not always the most effective in determining safe sites because of this.

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:28 am

<quote user="sherrih">
Don't you think there is some truth to this? I have seen sites get bad ratings because people do not agree with what the site says. MyWoT is not always the most effective in determining safe sites because of this.
[/quote]
Here is a site that is technically safe to visit (no malware, etc) - chimpmania.com.
I gave it a bad rating just because I "do not agree with what the site says".

"Always"? Nothing is always.

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:43 pm

I cannot believe the lies and spam at Mozilla

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/wot-safe-browsing-tool/reviews

It seems that the one star users have lowered our rating , my concern is that potential users of WOT may turn away from WOT

I have rated my experience with WOT, I invite everyone that can and want to review WOT , to go to Mozilla and give their honest opinion about WOT

Thank you

Kraftwerk

Post by Kraftwerk » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:49 pm

Actually it seem the rating improved. The last time i checked it it was 2 1/2 stars, now it's 3. That's good. Not true imo, since it should be better to reflect the real quality and usefulness of the add on, but still better;)

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:48 am

<quote user="superhero58">I cannot believe the lies and spam at Mozilla

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/wot-safe-browsing-tool/reviews
[/quote]\

On the other hand, the stock replies by the WOT representative(s) are models of restraint and dignity.