An unhappy site owner started an email campaign against WOT

Sami

An unhappy site owner started an email campaign against WOT

Post by Sami » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:30 am

We received a copy of an email someone has been sending to website owners whose site has been rated poorly. I thought you might find this interesting:
Dear Mywot.com victim,

like hundrets of other websites today you got rated very bad on mywot without any need. Youre try to fix this ended up in one of this inquisition processes on the mywot forum, where some mywot powerusers ruined the reputation of your website for fun.

And here is what you can do against that.

Go to the reviews Site for mywot on mozilla.org and rate their plugin with one star.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... l/reviews/

The have only 700 four and five star ratings on their plugin. If we get it even down to two stars nearby no one will install that plugin. And who cares about the website rating by the mywot plugin when nobody is using it anymore :)

Feel free to invite youre friends or employees to also rate their plugin.

Best wishes for you and the success of youre website :)
I suppose this explains the flood of strange, negative reviews on the Firefox Add-ons site in the past couple of days. For some reason, these people are under the impression that the reviews on the Firefox Add-ons site would have a significant impact on our user base.

I am going to omit the sender information that was included in the message, because it might be fake, but it appears whoever is sending these emails is from Germany.

Edit: For site owners who found this thread through a search engine and are wondering what to do about their site's reputation, here's a good place to start. It's probably a good idea to read about the common misconceptions too, before falling for all the misinformation out there.

Kraftwerk

RE: An unhappy site owner started an email campaign against WOT

Post by Kraftwerk » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:46 am

[cite][...]but it appears whoever is sending these emails is from Germany [/cite]

Why am i not surprised?

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:06 am

That type of email woud hit my spam folder and be reported to anti-spam services then disregarded. It's simply a hate mail campaign, probably run by a kid. One thing is for sure, he/she is leaving a nice electronic trail for the authorities to use against them at some point ;)

Kraftwerk

Post by Kraftwerk » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:44 am

<quote user="issviews">
It's simply a hate mail campaign, probably run by a kid.
[/quote]

Wouldn't be sure about that. There have been lots of site owners from Germany who tried to manipulate their ratings, attacked Mywot and so on.

I don't say that this person is very clever, but i don' think it's a child.

<quote user="issviews">
he/she is leaving a nice electronic trail for the authorities to use against them at some point ;)
[/quote]

Yes. Unfortunately, they won't care..

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:12 am

Pathetic, hope you can do something about this, all these hate attacks just prove how efficient your addon is ;)

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:26 am

<quote user="kraftwerk">
Wouldn't be sure about that. [snip...]
Yes. Unfortunately, they won't care..
[/quote]

Yeah, you're probably closer to the truth. This may be stemming from Germany but it doesn't mean they are German (multi racial society we live in today).

<quote user="omnia quaerite ac dubitate">Pathetic, hope you can do something about this, all these hate attacks just prove how efficient your addon is ;)[/quote]

Agreed and also how often people jump to conclusions when first viewing their site scorecards without reading the WOT FAQ and familiarising themselves on how things work here.

Kraftwerk

Post by Kraftwerk » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:58 am

Great

[cite]And then the Developer comments the negative post with comments wich suggest that the guy who rated "just do not understand the system and the greate possabilities to fix a wrong rating at his website" People wich are writing a half site of text about a plugin to warn other people to use it, are knowing exactly how it works and why it is bad. [/cite]

So if you write a lot (means: Know lots of words and enjoy trolling)that's the proof that you know about what you are writing :D

liquid_dragon

Post by liquid_dragon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:35 pm

Much easier to attack someone else that improve your site or business practices. That is one the many problems the world faces today - someone offends you, get even; especially in the digital realm where they never see the other person face-to-face. If there site is really as bad as those who scored them say their reputation will get around with or without WOT.

all4HIM

Post by all4HIM » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:47 pm

Well I've seen a lot of great sites that are perfectly safe and trustworthy with very poor ratings and until WOT can actually require users to prove their accusations it will and can be used as a tool for political purposes . Which leaves the reputation of WOT to be suspect to say the least and why I no longer trust WOT without scrutiny. I am neither condoning or condemning the actions above but all should take into account that when you misrepresent and falsely publish damaging comments about someones business it will come back to haunt you someday somehow and the old but now unpopular saying of "honesty is always the best policy" always is the best, it just seems most people don't care much about that anymore . They think that whatever they heard and they agree with must be the truth without investigating to find out what is the absolute truth !

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:54 pm

<quote user="all4him">
They think that whatever they heard and they agree with must be the truth without investigating to find out what is the absolute truth !
[/quote]
Is this what you heard without researching?

Many of us here research sites very well.
Keep in mind WoT is about opinions too, just because one may differ from yours does not make the opinion any less valid.