Another Feature Request

Sami

RE: Another Feature Request

Post by Sami » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:55 pm

<quote user="leofelix">
I find those notifications about scorecard I didn't comment an invasion of my privacy
[/quote]

We'll move from board notifications to something much better in future, but in the mean while, I'm not sure how an automated, private notification invades privacy. You are still the only one who sees the notification and the only one who knows that you rated the site.

Since most people do not leave comments when they rate a site, sending notifications based on ratings is the only way to reach them in case something has changed about the site, for example. If a site owner takes the time to verify their ownership and request a review, I think it's only fair to notify those who have rated the site. Of course, whether or not you wish to react to the notification is still completely up to you.

Sami

Post by Sami » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:00 pm

<quote user="kraftwerk">
It should be secret as your password: Encryted and nobody can read it. I think it's that way. Not sure though...
[/quote]

Ratings are private, which means you are the only one who sees them. However, the rating system must also know about them, or we wouldn't be able to show you your ratings, allow you to change or delete them, or actually compute reputations.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:01 pm

<quote user="scientific frontline">
One definition of secret: "kept from the knowledge of any but the initiated or privileged"

Leo don't make me jump on the next plane and slap you into submission.

Just say ok Heidi and all will be fine. ~smiles~
[/quote]

In italian is known as "Segreto di Pulcinella"

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segreto_di_Pulcinella

In english is just known as "Open Secret"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_secret

Pulcinella is a character in Neapolitan puppetry

I must confess that I prefer the italian definition ;)

Kraftwerk

Post by Kraftwerk » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:02 pm

<quote user="sami">
However, the rating system must also know about them, or we wouldn't be able to show you your ratings, allow you to change or delete them, or actually compute reputations.
[/quote]

That's what i meant with "password". Although no one can read it it's used by the system

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:09 pm

<quote user="sami">
We'll move from board notifications to something much better in future, but in the mean while, I'm not sure how an automated, private notification invades privacy. You are still the only one who sees the notification and the only one who knows that you rated the site.

[/quote]

Thank you for your reply.
It is a matter of principle, of course.
I expected a public announcement, something like "From today on, users will be notified about sites they rated even though they didn't comment" since this is the very first time that members are notified about site scorecards they never commented although ratings are apparently covered by a secret ballot

Sami

Post by Sami » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:09 pm

<quote user="kraftwerk">
That's what i meant with "password". Although no one can read it it's used by the system
[/quote]

Passwords are a bit different though. In order to check if your password matches, the server doesn't have to know what the password is. It can compute one way hashes of passwords and compare those. For example, your passwords are not stored on our servers, we store salted and stretched hashes of them instead. Ratings and their origins, on the other hand, must be known by the system in order to decide how they affect reputations.

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:00 am

I get requests to re-rate sites I never rated. It's not WOT's fault. It's OPs that don't understand they're spamming. They're just frustrated they posted a request for a rating that got no replies, and they decided to contact people who look like they are regulars here. It will probably be better now that there isn't a list of top posters for them to use to contact us.

I don't rate from blacklists, but if I did, I would appreciate WOT providing a handy list of sites no longer blacklisted. Most are innocent sites that were hacked, and most of them get cleaned up sooner or later. I think it would help WOT's own reputation to reduce stale ratings based on outdated blacklists.

I also think that when a domain registration expires, past the redemption period etc, all ratings and comments should be expunged. The website they refer to no longer exists, and any new owner should start fresh.

Armored

Post by Armored » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:40 am

<quote user="sami">
If a site owner takes the time to verify their ownership and request a review, I think it's only fair to notify those who have rated the site.
[/quote] I agree, and not only do I not have an issue with receiving the automated message I appreciate it.

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:15 am

<quote user="sami">
Ratings are private, which means you are the only one who sees them. However, the rating system must also know about them, or we wouldn't be able to show you your ratings, allow you to change or delete them, or actually compute reputations.[/quote]
When the rating system is used to send notices to join discussion, then the "system" breaches itself.
Because a user is registered to the forum, the rating system should not show disregard to the privacy assured by WOT concerning rating privacy. A [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_ballot t=_self]secret ballot[/url] means that the ballots are not "signed" when they are stuffed into the ballot box, otherwise they are no longer secret.
The secret ballot is a voting method in which a voter's choices in an election or a referendum are anonymous.
Admin notifications when a scorecard comment does not exist breaks that anonymity
[url=https://www.mywot.com/blog/anonymity-vs-democracy t=_self]Anonymity vs. democracy[/url]
While we do our best to protect your privacy, you shouldn't have to take our word for it. Therefore, we have built WOT so you don't have to register in order to vote. In fact, we don't expect you to tell us anything about yourself. I'm certain that the millions of non-registered users do not receive Admin Notifications based solely upon their ratings.

If a registered user elects to provide a comment, then they have publicly voiced an opinion and should expect invitation to a public forum discussion via an Admin Notification regardless of how or if they rated.
[url=https://www.mywot.com/wiki/FAQ#Ratings_vs._comments t=_self]Ratings vs. comments[/url]
If users want to share additional details about their experiences, they can also write comments to scorecards.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:15 am

<quote user="alphacentauri">I also think that when a domain registration expires, past the redemption period etc, all ratings and comments should be expunged. The website they refer to no longer exists, and any new owner should start fresh.
[/quote]

I don't think this would be a good idea. What's to stop the previous bad owners allowing expunging then buying the domain again, to get a clean record and back to peddling their stuff! Sooner or later scammers will be aware of the impact WOT has on their sites and will adapt to use this proposed change to their advantage.