Another Feature Request

Another Feature Request

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:41 pm

When a site is removed from being blacklisted by a "Trusted Source" I would like to see one of the following actions put in place.

1. Inform those that have rated.
2. Make an updated list available on the "Community" page.
or
3. Make a RSS feed with the blacklisting Change.

This change would be a very proactive approach on the part of WoT to help keep scorecards more precise.

Myxt

RE: Another Feature Request

Post by Myxt » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:03 am

I get an auto PM when an owner requests evaluation of a site I've rated. Why not also when a Trusted Source drops it?

On the other hand, I tend to merely consider Trusted Sources when rating, rather than basing my ratings on them.

It seems like people would be less likely to monitor a separate list than PMs. An RSS feed could become unwieldy.

Dutch Mountain

Post by Dutch Mountain » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:13 pm

<quote user="myxt">
I get an auto PM when an owner requests evaluation of a site I've rated. Why not also when a Trusted Source drops it?

On the other hand, I tend to merely consider Trusted Sources when rating, rather than basing my ratings on them.

It seems like people would be less likely to monitor a separate list than PMs. An RSS feed could become unwieldy.
[/quote]

In general not a bad idea to get informed by PM.
Personally I don't prefer RSS feeds.
Echo Myxt when it comes to "Trusted sources" . For me it's just minor additional information and I also don't base my rating and comment on that.
But when a Trusted source drops a blacklisting, it can mean change in the situation, e.g a website owner has improved his security and "cleaned" the server from - let's say - PUP's.
Of course that site owner can come to the forum for a re-evaluation too.
But still : being informed by PM can make life easier.
When a rating ( and possible comment ) isn't justified anymore, it should be updated.
Peter

Jicé

Post by Jicé » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:14 pm

<quote user="scientific frontline">
When a site is removed from being blacklisted by a "Trusted Source" I would like to see one of the following actions put in place.

1. Inform those that have rated.
[/quote]

Hello @Scientific Frontline and thank you for this suggestion,

I recently found a sad consequence of this lack of communication!
In December I had positively rated a site (previously unrated), and two weeks ago, while I was checking my last comments, I had a surprise : this site (Scorecard) was Blacklisted by Yandex malware. I checked and rated according to the new situation. One month elapsed between the publication of the blacklist and my correction. During that time the site has kept a [green]good rating on WOT[/green] (It seems that the influence of blacklisting was weaker than mine, this is gentle from WOT to give me its confidence but then shouldn't I be informed of changes in blacklists? (for the sites I evaluated)).

So, Yes, I think this new feature is needed! And in both sense, I mean
1. When a site is removed from being blacklisted by a "Trusted Source"
2. When a site is added to a blacklist by a "Trusted Source"

I would like the WOT user who commented a scorecard (or possibly just rated the site concerned) to be informed.

Cordially Jicé

Dutch Mountain

Post by Dutch Mountain » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:37 am

<quote user="jicé">
Hello @Scientific Frontline and thank you for this suggestion,

I recently found a sad consequence of this lack of communication!
In December I had positively rated a site (previously unrated), and two weeks ago, while I was checking my last comments, I had a surprise : this site (Scorecard) was Blacklisted by Yandex malware. I checked and rated according to the new situation. One month elapsed between the publication of the blacklist and my correction. During that time the site has kept a [green]good rating on WOT[/green] (It seems that the influence of blacklisting was weaker than mine, this is gentle from WOT to give me its confidence but then shouldn't I be informed of changes in blacklists? (for the sites I evaluated)).

So, Yes, I think this new feature is needed! And in both sense, I mean
1. When a site is removed from being blacklisted by a "Trusted Source"
2. When a site is added to a blacklist by a "Trusted Source"

I would like the WOT user who commented a scorecard (or possibly just rated the site concerned) to be informed.

Cordially Jicé
[/quote]
Just a remark by me JIce :
The risk of making two seperate comments is that one day they don't stand next to eachother when a scorecard gets filled with many comments.
If others agree or disagree then, it can happen that one comments stays on top ( or nearly ) while the other "sinks down" to e.g. page two.
Than the combination of information you want to express isn't together available anymore and others may miss what you wanted to make clear.
If you do it like this, all info stays together. The only thing is that you need to mention the dates of placing info in the comment
See : https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/mvanveenbv.com
If seen others do it this way too and I prefer that.

Jicé

Post by Jicé » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:33 am

<quote user="dutch mountain">
Just a remark by me JIce :
The risk of making two separate comments is that one day they don't stand next to eachother when a scorecard gets filled with many comments.

[/quote]

Hello @Dutch Mountain,
Thanks for your advice, your right and I usually post comments in this way but in this precise situation, no one else has posted comments on this scorecard and I watch this site regularly. If I stop the surveillance and if the infection remains or if other comments appear, I will make my two comments into one.

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:34 pm

<quote user="scientific frontline">1. Inform those that have rated.[/quote]
I would certainly hope not.

Ratings are cast by secret ballot
Only comments are visible on scorecards.

WOT does not communicate to users based on their ratings but may send Admin Notices to those who have commented on a site which has recently requested a Site Evaluation.

Concerning WOT's trusted sources...
They are separate from the Add-on user and for good reason.
IF users rate based on a "list" it is their responsibility to recheck those lists and adjust their comments and ratings appropriately,

However.
It is more important for the domain owner to ensure the safety of their site visitors which will also keep their domain off of these "lists" so neither WOT not a WOT user offers poor ratings.

Who's to say that the WOT user didn't notify the list owner to have the domain included?
When researching Malware, I generally rate/comment before I submit to other sources, some of these being "lists" WOT uses as well.

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:33 pm

<quote user="c۞g">
I would certainly hope not.

Ratings are cast by secret ballot
Only comments are visible on scorecards.

WOT does not communicate to users based on their ratings but may send Admin Notices to those who have commented on a site which has recently requested a Site Evaluation.

Concerning WOT's trusted sources...
They are separate from the Add-on user and for good reason.
IF users rate based on a "list" it is their responsibility to recheck those lists and adjust their comments and ratings appropriately,

However.
It is more important for the domain owner to ensure the safety of their site visitors which will also keep their domain off of these "lists" so neither WOT not a WOT user offers poor ratings.

Who's to say that the WOT user didn't notify the list owner to have the domain included?
When researching Malware, I generally rate/comment before I submit to other sources, some of these being "lists" WOT uses as well.
[/quote]

Well with all due respect. . . Find most of what you say nonsense, because this is the flaw. PM to those would still be anonymous.
A feed or public list of recently removed from blacklist would even be more so.

Yet I defend your right to have an utter nonsense opinion. ~smiles~

Sami

Post by Sami » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:46 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. We do have plans to provide you guys with this type of information and other improvements in the way you can manage your ratings and comments. However, there are some other new features in the pipeline before that. We will keep you posted when we have something to share.

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:42 pm

Looking forward to seeing what you all come up with.
Thanks for the info