Are comments now restricted to 1 on ALL scorecards?

Boonsiri

RE: Are comments now restricted to 1 on ALL scorecards?

Post by Boonsiri » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:45 pm

Thank you Alpha, for pointing out one of the reasons for my objections.

However, the issue I have with limiting comments to one only, would not be solved by allowing reply-on-reply. I also value that I can give a direct link (e.g. for a Registrar or a 3rd party like LegitScript) to the 2nd comment, be it to point out that a Registrar is very helpful in suspending abused domains, or if on the contrary a Registrar does take no action at all.

An example of direct links to both kind of 2nd comments:
https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/medicinewelnessreckitt.com/comment-65320213 and
https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/bestcanadianstocks.com/comment-65318297

I find it rather annoying that merely 3 months after WOT decided to keep allowing 2 comments (as stated at https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/33890-are-comments-now-restricted-to-1-on-all-scorecards?comment=196354#comment-196354 ), WOT now seems to want to disallow that 2nd comment and AGAIN without giving any motivation for it.

The only motivation given to me by WOT-staff are not arguments against the use of that 2nd comment, but only an argument in favor of 1 comment: " that can achieve all what could be achieved with two comments" (which is NOT true in all cases). Adding content to the original comment does NOT work the same as adding a 2nd comment. Besides the reply function mentioned by Alpha and the fact that it is no longer possible to link directly to the relevant part, editing the original comment also has the disadvantage of creating lengthy comments. Imo I might in that case as well simply replace the old comment with a new one, because few people will take the trouble to scroll down to read the original comment.

I have not been given any arguments WHY a 2nd comment seems to be considered undesirable. I can only guess that the reason is, that there is sometimes abuse of 2 comments. As far as I can see, that is mostly done by rookies who wrongly think that more positive comments will improve the reputation of a site. That kind of abuse could be easily prevented by allowing a 2nd comment only to members with a "Bronze" status and higher.

I had a look at the beta version in Firefox and like the new set-up and comment-tags; nice that clicking "Rate the website" also opens the comment window. For the time being I will use the old version until it is clear what happens to the 2nd comment.

nova7

Post by nova7 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:44 pm

I too sometimes do two and three comments per scorecard, often. I lean towards allowing more than one comment implemented in "some way", other than losing vote-ranking; otherwise vote-ranking loses it's worth.

My main reason (not the only reason) for more than one comment is to maintain high vote-ranking on particular scorecards so that my highly-voted-up comment is most likely to be read and provide my researched opinion (not just some non-data backed comments like many comments are) and not be thrown to the bottom of the comment poll years later when I update my opinion on the same scorecard with more evidence on the same category.

Implementing a one-comment per scorecard would simply cause me to no longer often update my comment with further relevant data to further justify my category comment (which I often do) and thus, maintain (at my option) a more important top-of-the-voting-in-your-eyes comment.

Added Edit:
The alternative to 1 comment for me is hyper-linking to a new posted forum topic from a scorecard comment ; even modified to simply insert a hyperlink. So, in essence I could move my comments from the scorecards to the forum.

Boonsiri

Post by Boonsiri » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:07 pm

I really would appreciate a response from Sami on this issue to learn if the new WOT will further limit the amount of comments or not.

If WOT indeed plans to introduce such limit, than please consider and comment on my suggestion to:
have WOT grant the right to submit more than one comments based on merit (linked to bronze/silver or an even higher level) instead.
That would cause that rookies would no longer be able to make 2 comments like Good site, Good customer experience, and abusers could simply have the reward to be able to post multiple comments revoked in case of abuse, just as applies to the MRT.

If there is a problem in implementing my above suggestion, than please explain what problem, and also in general, what the reason is that having more than one comment seems to again be considered problematic.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:03 pm

Comments are now limited to 2 per scorecard as posted in this thread, page #1 by [url=https://www.mywot.com/forum/33890-are-comments-now-restricted-to-1-on-all-scorecards?comment=196354#comment-196354 t=_self]Timo on Wed 10 Apr 2013[/url]

So why are people still arguing over "one comment" ?

Boonsiri

Post by Boonsiri » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:34 pm

<quote user="c۞g">
Comments are now limited to 2 per scorecard as posted in this thread, page #1 by [url=https://www.mywot.com/forum/33890-are-comments-now-restricted-to-1-on-all-scorecards?comment=196354#comment-196354 t=_self]Timo on Wed 10 Apr 2013[/url]

So why are people still arguing over "one comment" ?
[/quote] It started with a posting on Wed 03 Jul 2013<quote user="notbuyingit">...If you haven't already examined it, you may be interested in the beta version of WOT (announcement). You will likely be allowed to post only one comment on a scorecard; however you may select numerous categories as tags for your single comment, even a combination of favorable, adverse and neutral tags...[/quote](Text in snippet highlighted by Boonsiri).

Moreover, on my complaint-message which I wrote to Feedback after having read the quoted text, the relevant part of the reply I received by e-mail from WOT Support was:...In our opinion, there's nothing you cannot accomplish with one comment that you could with two.... I considered this to be a confirmation of the planned restriction.

I must admit that a board message from me to Timo went unanswered. I already considered that as out of character for him, which can be explained by the fact that Timo already knew that no such plan would be implemented, and that he was therefore having a problem to reply to my (as it now seems) unfounded protest.

c۞g, if I may understand that your post reflects the official position by WOT Staff, I understand that the above quoted statements were in fact only referring to a change that has been merely considered to be implemented in the beta version, but that this idea has fortunately been abandoned.
If that is the case, I am of course perfectly happy! As I already wrote, I like some of the new features in the beta version, so I consider your reply as great news. Thank you c۞g, and thank you WOT-staff!!

Of course this is for me reason to apologize for my recent not always friendly remarks on this subject: both in my post from Wed 17 Jul 2013 "annoying" and in my posts to Feedback and Timo.

I am glad to say that with this my trust in WOT keeping its promise, as worded in the announcement quoted by c۞g, has been fully restored.

As a final note to this happy ending, I kindly request that nobody will blame "messenger" NotBuyingIt, as his statement was immediately thereafter - but as it seems by mistake - confirmed by WOT-support. Apparently both had received premature news about a "brainstorm", which - caused by some communication error - was mistakenly mentioned or interpreted as a policy proposal.

c۞g

off topic

Post by c۞g » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:44 am

@ Boonsiri

I see
You're posting about WOT beta in a non-beta thread :/
This would be like comparing apples to oranges.

The correct thread for beta discussion is: https://www.mywot.com/beta/introducing-the-new-wot-beta
not here.

The beta only allows for a single comment with the ability to select multiple category tags.
Currently you must leave a comment via the scorecard, with the beta you can create a comment from the rating window (pop-up)
Also, using the beta add-on MRT only one comment is allowed as opposed to the current MRT which allows for up to 3 comments. Any comment created using the beta MRT deletes all existing comments and saves the new MRT comment with selected category tag(s).

The beta is a complete redesign of WOT enabling a simpler user interface. Restricting comments to 1 per user per domain reduces clutter as well as spam, something which should have been implemented at the onset of introducing textual comments. As for existing multiple comments... I'm not sure how they'll be handled, hopefully a LIFO purge to remove multiples (newest comment retained, older comment deleted).

nova7

Post by nova7 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:11 pm

"I'm not sure how they'll be handled, hopefully a LIFO purge to remove multiples (newest comment retained, older comment deleted)."

That seems to be the deletion of more than one scorecard comment per user, with no review--taking away the merits of people with more than one comment.

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:24 pm

<quote user="nova7">
"I'm not sure how they'll be handled, hopefully a LIFO purge to remove multiples (newest comment retained, older comment deleted)."

That seems to be the deletion of more than one scorecard comment per user, with no review--taking away the merits of people with more than one comment.
[/quote]

That disscussion is already part of the beta thread. Make your follow-ups there in order to avoid confusing duplications.

Boonsiri

Post by Boonsiri » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:47 pm

This thread is called: Are comments now restricted to 1 on ALL scorecards?
c۞g's action to move this discussion to the beta-blog would have been okay, if the title had been:
Are comments now restricted to 1 on ALL scorecards? Pre-Beta version only!!". As the title is, the comments were not off topic

Having kept the issue here would have been much better, because the issue is about "only 1-comment", so comments on that subject were nicely kept together. Moving it to the beta-blog was a - too - hasty made decision.
This was not a specific beta-issue but an existing issue that was revived by developments in the beta-version.

At the Beta-blog are - of course - also other issues about the beta-version posted. That causes that the "only 1 comment-posts" are not kept together and even, that posts from this thread need to be linked to, or repeated in the beta-blog.
Though I do not doubt the good intentions of c۞g, the decision to move this discussion, has made it more difficult to follow, than it would have been if it had been continued in this thread.

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:03 pm

<quote user="boonsiri">
This thread is called: Are comments now restricted to 1 on ALL scorecards?
c۞g's action to move this discussion to the beta-blog would have been okay, if the title had been:
Are comments now restricted to 1 on ALL scorecards? Pre-Beta version only!!". As the title is, the comments were not off topic

Having kept the issue here would have been much better, because the issue is about "only 1-comment", so comments on that subject were nicely kept together. Moving it to the beta-blog was a - too - hasty made decision.
This was not a specific beta-issue but an existing issue that was revived by developments in the beta-version.

At the Beta-blog are - of course - also other issues about the beta-version posted. That causes that the "only 1 comment-posts" are not kept together and even, that posts from this thread need to be linked to, or repeated in the beta-blog.
Though I do not doubt the good intentions of c۞g, the decision to move this discussion, has made it more difficult to follow, than it would have been if it had been continued in this thread.
[/quote]

I have not said to "move this discussion" to the Public Beta thread.

Currently the public release of the WOT add-on - not WOT beta - you can leave 2 comments per user per scorecard
as [url=https://www.mywot.com/forum/33890-are-comments-now-restricted-to-1-on-all-scorecards?comment=196354#comment-196354 t=_self]Timo posted[/url]
This is a reinstatement of multiple comments for the current release.
This is not a "promise" to maintain multiple comments per user per scorecard in future releases of WOT, including the current beta where you can leave only 1 comment.

When you discuss about the beta in this thread, you are not discussing the WOT add-on as it is currently, this thread does not mention the beta in the OP: Seems like users are no longer able to post more than 1 comment on scorecards, regardless if "comment votes are disabled" or not.

Is this a new feature or a bug?
Has anybody else noticed this?

It could be a good idea if it's a feature. .

Beta discussion should be posted on the [url=https://www.mywot.com/beta/introducing-the-new-wot-beta t=_self]Public Beta Thread[/url] and not in the [url=https://www.mywot.com/blog/441-the-new-wot-beta-is-now-released t=_self]Blog Announcement[/url]