Are comments now restricted to 1 on ALL scorecards?

Boonsiri

RE: Are comments now restricted to 1 on ALL scorecards?

Post by Boonsiri » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:13 pm

<quote user="c۞g">
I have not said to "move this discussion" to the Public Beta thread.[/quote]My misunderstanding. I see that you did indeed write: The correct thread for beta discussion is: https://www.mywot.com/beta/introducing-the-new-wot-beta not here. My wrong to post at the blog instead at that link.
I still would however have preferred if the discussion had been continued here.
Currently the public release of the WOT add-on - not WOT beta - you can leave 2 comments per user per scorecard
as [url=https://www.mywot.com/forum/33890-are-comments-now-restricted-to-1-on-all-scorecards?comment=196354#comment-196354 t=_self]Timo posted[/url]
This is a reinstatement of multiple comments for the current release.
This is not a "promise" to maintain multiple comments per user per scorecard in future releases of WOT, including the current beta where you can leave only 1 comment.
I consider this to be a somewhat fallacious way of reasoning. At the time of the statement WOT-staff must already have been fully engaged in, or at least aware of the development-stage of the beta-version. The statement by Timo which you quote, was a compromise reached after opposition against a - few months old proposal - to limit multiple comments (>2) to ONE-only.
It was not a reinstatement but a compromise in which multiple comments were in the end not limited to one, but (as announced in that statement) limited to two. It would only have been a reinstatement if the old situation - more than 2 comments - would have been maintained, which has not been the case.

And true, Timo wrote: "We have heard your critique against one comment rule on scorecards. I have made a change that allows two comments per scorecard for all users" without adding "for eternity".
But, as I mentioned that WOT-staff must have been already well aware of the upcoming beta-version, I do think it has significance that Timo also did not write
"I have made a change that allows two comments per scorecard for all users, for the next few months".
Having made the statement as it was, with the included apology I still consider that statement as a promise, that surely should also apply to a future release WOT-staff was at the time already working on.

Claiming that it was not a promise would in a rather cynical way imply that the statement should in fact have been: "I have made a change that allows two comments per scorecard for all users, - for now - because we will soon limit the amount of comments in the upcoming beta-version to only one anyhow."
Beta discussion should be posted on the [url=https://www.mywot.com/beta/introducing-the-new-wot-beta t=_self]Public Beta Thread[/url] and not in the [url=https://www.mywot.com/blog/441-the-new-wot-beta-is-now-released t=_self]Blog Announcement[/url]
IMO The "no-more than-1-comment-issue" is not a specific beta-issue, but part of an ongoing issue, which would still have better been kept in this thread. Of course it would have been better still, if WOT-staff had paid closer attention to Timos words:
"We have heard your critique against one comment rule on scorecards. I have made a change that allows two comments per scorecard for all users. I hope it's enough for most cases.

I agree that we communicated this change poorly. We should have been more open about this change and not just changing the functionality."

and would not have made the same mistake by again wanting to limit amounts to one, when WOT has so short ago correctly concluded, that this is not in accordance with the needs of users, which made the earlier compromise and statement by Timo necessary.

Finally, I want to add that I am not fully happy with the situation that you and I, as 2 users, discuss and interpret WOT's actions and the significance of such actions. Just as I am not happy, that the communications I have about this issue with WOT-staff, are done through private board messages.

Of course it is no problem that users exchange opinions and that WOT-staff replies to a board message through an initial board message-reply. But, as this is a discussion on the issue of WOT - again - trying to limit the amount of comments, something that affects all WOT users, WOT should discuss this issue in public in a discussion thread like this one, as I have already requested more than once like in my post:
https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/33890-are-comments-now-restricted-to-1-on-all-scorecards?comment=211148#comment-211148

RE: Are comments now restricted to 1 on ALL scorecards?

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:19 am

<quote user="boonsiri">
My misunderstanding. I see that you did indeed write: The correct thread for beta discussion is: https://www.mywot.com/beta/introducing-the-new-wot-beta not here. My wrong to post at the blog instead at that link.
I still would however have preferred if the discussion had been continued here.

I consider this to be a somewhat fallacious way of reasoning. At the time of the statement WOT-staff must already have been fully engaged in, or at least aware of the development-stage of the beta-version. The statement by Timo which you quote, was a compromise reached after opposition against a - few months old proposal - to limit multiple comments (>2) to ONE-only.
It was not a reinstatement but a compromise in which multiple comments were in the end not limited to one, but (as announced in that statement) limited to two. It would only have been a reinstatement if the old situation - more than 2 comments - would have been maintained, which has not been the case.

And true, Timo wrote: "We have heard your critique against one comment rule on scorecards. I have made a change that allows two comments per scorecard for all users" without adding "for eternity".
But, as I mentioned that WOT-staff must have been already well aware of the upcoming beta-version, I do think it has significance that Timo also did not write
"I have made a change that allows two comments per scorecard for all users, for the next few months".
Having made the statement as it was, with the included apology I still consider that statement as a promise, that surely should also apply to a future release WOT-staff was at the time already working on.

Claiming that it was not a promise would in a rather cynical way imply that the statement should in fact have been: "I have made a change that allows two comments per scorecard for all users, - for now - because we will soon limit the amount of comments in the upcoming beta-version to only one anyhow."

IMO The "no-more than-1-comment-issue" is not a specific beta-issue, but part of an ongoing issue, which would still have better been kept in this thread. Of course it would have been better still, if WOT-staff had paid closer attention to Timos words:
"We have heard your critique against one comment rule on scorecards. I have made a change that allows two comments per scorecard for all users. I hope it's enough for most cases.

I agree that we communicated this change poorly. We should have been more open about this change and not just changing the functionality."

and would not have made the same mistake by again wanting to limit amounts to one, when WOT has so short ago correctly concluded, that this is not in accordance with the needs of users, which made the earlier compromise and statement by Timo necessary.

Finally, I want to add that I am not fully happy with the situation that you and I, as 2 users, discuss and interpret WOT's actions and the significance of such actions. Just as I am not happy, that the communications I have about this issue with WOT-staff, are done through private board messages.

Of course it is no problem that users exchange opinions and that WOT-staff replies to a board message through an initial board message-reply. But, as this is a discussion on the issue of WOT - again - trying to limit the amount of comments, something that affects all WOT users, WOT should discuss this issue in public in a discussion thread like this one, as I have already requested more than once like in my post:
https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/33890-are-comments-now-restricted-to-1-on-all-scorecards?comment=211148#comment-211148
[/quote]

I fully agree
It may be simplistic , but is to the point of how I feel