Avira has partnered with Uniblue and ASK toolbar

Avira has partnered with Uniblue and ASK toolbar

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:43 pm

Avira has partnered with Uniblue and ASK toolbar.

more informations:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r259734 ... re-Vendors

http://www.calendarofupdates.com/update ... t_id=95954

http://www.avira.com/en/support-for-hom ... /faqid/861

RE: Avira has partnered with Uniblue and ASK toolbar

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:29 pm

Another installer incoporating unwanted addons in their products. :( Looks like you can opt out of this toolbar although anything that has the Ask toolbar I iwont trust.

Warxas

Post by Warxas » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:03 am

Disgusting, I knew about them partnering with Uniblue, but not ask...
Time to install Avast I guess. :/

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:28 am

While it's not necessarily unusual for free software to seek ad support, and I can sympathize with that tactic in some cases . . . c'mon, the Ask Toolbar? Bad business decision, IMO.

This excerpt from the dslreports link:
  1. "People trust their security software companies. When they find that trust has been misplaced, winning it back may be impossible. For a company such as Avira, that has worked hard for and earned a stellar reputation in the security community, an ill-advised business decision can be a financial disaster."
My hero is still BillP with WinPatrol . . . the only one I can think of that has not pulled that nonsense yet.

Is this cause to think Avira has declined in detection rates? I don't think so.

Is this cause to select another vendor? For those of us that have a dim view of the Ask toolbar and anybody who partners with them . . . probably.

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:21 pm

Thank you all for your replies.
It is really a shame, I'm used to warn my friends and collegues about Ask toolbar and other unwanted or undesiderable add ons.
Hopefully this "Avira toolbar" even if you uncheck it, won't install AskInstallChecker.exe anyway

http://www.online-armor.com/oasis2/file ... xe/2644086

Moreover I fully agree with BobJam
[cite]My hero is still BillP with WinPatrol[/cite]

I started using Winpatrol about ten years ago and it is the first software that I usually install in any computer with Windows

phantazm

Post by phantazm » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Quoting from the first link that leofelix provided:

"Until now, Avira has always detected ASK toolbar as malware as they have also detected Uniblue products until now."

How absurd! I haven't tried Avira before, but sometimes recommended them as on of the free offers. From now on I won't...

jeff134

Post by jeff134 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:07 am

I can understand bundling with an installer to try to create revenue, however bundling with someone that you had once listed as malware... and then removing them from the database is just like saying "Yes, we are for sale... but trust us we won't let anything bad happen to your systems."

It is easy to forget that these free products do cost something, either in bandwidth charges, updates to the software scanner or db, or a large majority of other things... but there are good ways to make money... and then bad ways.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:45 pm

<quote user="jeff134">
I can understand bundling with an installer to try to create revenue, however bundling with someone that you had once listed as malware... and then removing them from the database is just like saying "Yes, we are for sale... but trust us we won't let anything bad happen to your systems."

It is easy to forget that these free products do cost something, either in bandwidth charges, updates to the software scanner or db, or a large majority of other things... but there are good ways to make money... and then bad ways.
[/quote]

Love what you said and agree completely.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:46 pm

<quote user="phantazm">
Quoting from the first link that leofelix provided:

"Until now, Avira has always detected ASK toolbar as malware as they have also detected Uniblue products until now."

How absurd! I haven't tried Avira before, but sometimes recommended them as on of the free offers. From now on I won't...
[/quote]

Me two avira = Trashbin

No more recommendations!

alamctg

Post by alamctg » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:55 pm

Seriously?! Wth! I love Avira just as much as I hate Ask! I dont know what came into their minds but this is absolutely a bad move! Ask, the way I see it, is like a virus. Come on Avira people, you gotta be kidding me!