Bad encryption program

tkdzach

Bad encryption program

Post by tkdzach » Sun May 04, 2008 5:28 pm

I have downloaded a program called folder lock. This program installs a rootkit called sccfg.sys. This rootkit is very hard to remove and can damage your computer by hiding file and viruses and spyware. I would stay away from the folder lock program.

lordpake

Hmm?

Post by lordpake » Sun May 04, 2008 7:55 pm

Basically every rookit-like software can be abused. However I doubt there are malware out there that specificly targets Folder lock in an attempt to abuse it in order to hide itself.

Other than that, sounds like bad luck installing and/or uninstalling. This is why I usually shutdown my security applications(s) when installing/uninstalling something that goes deep.

woova

If tkd is talking about the

Post by woova » Sun May 04, 2008 9:30 pm

If tkd is talking about the same "FolderLock" app I checked out a while back, his/her post may be an example of "end-user suspicion, based on confusion".

The FolderLock app, by design, incorporates arguably rootkit-like functionality. As lordpake mentioned, any installed security software may "identify" it as such.

Certainly the size of the FolderLock-installer userbase is WAY to small for a malware author to count on it being installed & available for abuse...but, as lordpake pointed out, if FolderLock *is* installed, a malware author might hide data by interspersing it within blocks of FL data.

ref: "alternative data streams" in NTFS
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysint ... reams.mspx