Bad Negative Ratings

AutarchSeverian

Bad Negative Ratings

Post by AutarchSeverian » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:12 am

Anybody else get the impression that there are malicious negative ratings posted about harmless sites? I've had two warnings like that today.

It seems to me that these ratings are from competitors of the site, people who have some personal problem with the company/organization, or possibly WOT competitors who want to damage the accuracy of WOT warnings.

I'm not sure how much can be done about this, but I really believe some of the negative ratings are nonsense.

RE: Bad Negative Ratings

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:35 am

Welcome
you wrote
It seems to me that these ratings are from competitors of the site, people who have some personal problem with the company/organization, or possibly WOT competitors who want to damage the accuracy of WOT warnings.

You may want to read:
http://www.mywot.com/wiki/FAQ#Reputations_are_easy_to_manipulate

Reputations are easy to manipulate

When someone first hears about the concept behind WOT, their first objection is that someone could easily spam the system with tons of ratings and rate down their competitors or otherwise manipulate reputations, but that's not true. We designed the reputation system to be as fair as possible and very resistant to manipulation.

Brothers

Post by Brothers » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:46 pm

Full agreement with leofelix. You just can't fully avoid any bad purposes in any system. WOT is trying to be as fair as possible.

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:41 pm

Anybody else get the impression that there are malicious negative ratings posted about harmless sites? I've had two warnings like that today
Let's assume that example.com is a blog whose primary purpose is to discuss widgets.
In my opinion the information this blog suggests is misleading and lacks evidence to verify it's claims.
You see, I happen to have some of these widgets and my experience with them contradicts the exaggerated statements made on the site. I would rate the site in the red for trustworthiness and vendor reliability. Let's also assume my single rating causes the reputation to lower which signals other WOT users by displaying the warning screen.

You have a different opinion, you agree with the content of the site and wonder why the warning page was displayed...

Rather than posting a forum thread all you need to do is rate the site in the green.
WOT never warns you about sites you trust. Also, your rating(s) may help increase the overall reputation so the color changes from red to yellow, which by default does not display a warning screen. As more WOT users visit and rate the site the reputation displayed is achieved with a higher confidence and becomes more reliable.

Trust is subjective.
What you and I trust may be different but neither of us are "wrong" - everyone has their opinion.

Sami

Post by Sami » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:22 pm

If you are referring to [url=https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/marion.lib.in.us/comment-67663405#comment-67663405 t=_self]these type of cases[/url], the reputation is not poor, the site simply doesn't have enough ratings to have a reputation at all yet. If you mean something else, please post an example.

kristenpickles

Post by kristenpickles » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:04 pm

As i have experienced I visited one of negative rated site and that is actually a bad site , that was a wall paper download site and i was not able to download any wall paper.