Beware Mac osx Users!!!

Beware Mac osx Users!!!

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:22 am

Recently it has seen that Mac os attacks increased now ..
A new trojan which is in beta stage as it say and it warn that there will be more infection when it will be final release ...
Naked Security report
http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/02/26/mac-os-x-backdoor-trojan-now-in-beta/

siblingshot

RE: Beware Mac osx Users!!!

Post by siblingshot » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:49 am

Interesting, @Anonymouse.

I recently switched over the Sophos HE after running ClamXav for some time as a precaution.

Those shell scripts - and the (root, even) password phishing - in this newly identified trojan are a harbinger of darker days to come.

mentalist3d

Post by mentalist3d » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:12 pm

I moved over to sophos as well, as I prefer an active scanner. I've still never had a virus on the MAC though but at least I'm prepared for when the time comes.

The only thing that worries me about MAC viruses, is the legion of fans that think they are immune so never take any precautions.

Jazspeak

Post by Jazspeak » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:40 pm

"the legion of fans that think they are immune"

Unfortunately, the same applies to many Linux users, and now that the Mac OS is being more visibly attacked maybe the Linux OS users will take heed.

siblingshot

Post by siblingshot » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Yes. I remember reading criticism of Apple being cavalier with code - Darwin 9.0 - around the time the gameplan shifted to accommodate the transition from PPC to Intel. I don't know how much truth there is in that.

The more prosaic reality is that as Steve Jobs consolidated Apple's share of the marketplace with the proliferation of innovative design (more so than any seamless integration with Open Source developers), so OS X and Unix becomes a viable target for new strains of trojans and worms.

Jazspeak

Post by Jazspeak » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:45 pm

"...Apple being cavalier with code...to accommodate the transition from PPC to Intel."

Not forgetting that Microsoft bought a controlling interest in Apple at around that time. Coincidence?

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:51 am

I better download an AV to my mac! I'll probably go with sophos.

A440

Post by A440 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:47 am

Yes, but this news comes from a provider of anti-virus software for OSX, thus I wonder.:

. . . "Fortunately our products can detect and remove Trojans like this, and for home use they're free! If you would like to install Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition, click on the banner below." . . .

Were that this came from a source that does not have a vested interest in viruses on OSX. Additionally, this sort of attack comes from running pirate-ware, though Sophos claims it may be inserted into a browser.

siblingshot

Post by siblingshot » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:32 am

"Not forgetting that Microsoft bought a controlling interest in Apple at around that time."

Exactly. Not so much a coincidence, I don't feel. A lot of people would argue that security was irrevocably compromised.

siblingshot

Post by siblingshot » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:40 am

"Yes, but this news comes from a provider of anti-virus software for OSX...

Were that this came from a source that does not have a vested interest in viruses on OSX."

A valid point. Sophos HE, however, is provided free for home users. Of course, it would not necessarily surprise me if that were to change at some future date.

ClamXav is a good alternative - thoroughly trusted, and a good starting point for users looking to exercise caution - but a lot bench tests out there seem to confirm that Sophos will detect infections ClamXav routinely misses.