CAPTCHA

alphacentauri

CAPTCHA

Post by alphacentauri » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:15 am

Okay, CAPTCHAs are officially out of hand.

I just got a reCAPTCHA when I posted a WOT comment that included this mathematical forumula:

βσ2t-1

Not only did it include Greek characters, the 2 should have been a superscript and the t-1 a subscript. I had to use Microsoft Word to get the beta and sigma to paste it in, as I don't have a Greek keyboard.
Yes, WOT has a wiki. Check there first for fast answers to many questions like "Why is my site rated red, and how do I fix that?"

You could have just

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:26 am

You could have just requested a refresh of the Capatcha and would not have had to go through that pallaver. ;)

Sami

Re: CAPTCHA

Post by Sami » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:49 am

It seems reCAPTCHA has turned up the difficulty level recently... :)

Yes, requesting a new one should solve the problem.

Cant say I have seen any of

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:02 am

Cant say I have seen any of these hense my previous comment. I must admit that this too would give me a headache when faced with it. Lets hope the new one does the trick.

alphacentauri

It's supposed to have a purpose

Post by alphacentauri » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:38 pm

The whole idea of reCAPTCHA is that only one of the images is the test. The other is something in a literary source that OCR software is having trouble identifying. Having people who solve CAPTCHAs also help decipher those is useful to digitizing books, especially works whose only hard copies are aging and at risk of being lost. ("Stop spam. Read books.")

If you know which is which, you can enter anything you want for the literary source image and still be able to get credit for solving the entire CAPTCHA. It isn't really necessary to ask for another, as the whole reason the second image is there is that there is no right answer for it yet. But you're potentially poisoning the statistics used for the OCR software. That's why I did go to some trouble to provide an accurate answer. There's examples of how it works here: http://www.google.com/recaptcha/digitizing

If they're going to give examples that use non-English keyboards, they need to find a way to matching it with users using those keyboards. Perhaps they used to and it's gone on the fritz?
Yes, WOT has a wiki. Check there first for fast answers to many questions like "Why is my site rated red, and how do I fix that?"

Kraftwerk

Re:

Post by Kraftwerk » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:43 pm

Not exactly. In fact, both are from books that couldn´t be read. But one is identified, which means that you still can enter something different, like change a letter, and it will work. The other could be neglected. It´s pretty easy to see which one should be entered.
Blueberry Cake Level Member of the WOT Community

@ all

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:21 pm

Excuse my ignorance , but downloading an online Greek keyboard , could that have helped ?=== if only for a few characters == @ ARGΗ = sorry for leaving with those" flowers " I never imagined , that it would turn so ugly ===== very proud of the way you handled it === you are a great rater == sorry for going off topic for a moment =

Kraftwerk

Re:

Post by Kraftwerk » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:22 pm

I don´t think that you have left (if i understood you correctly). And it didn´t went that ugly :o) So there´s no reason to excuse IMO
Blueberry Cake Level Member of the WOT Community

I don´t think that you have left

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:16 am

sorry I meant to say about "leaving you with roses " == I read the posts , and I could not understand why OP would not listen , but that is life = b/w ARGH = do you think , that a key board in Greek [ down loaded ] could have resolved the problem of using some words to create a password ? thank you

Nulander

---

Post by Nulander » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:36 am

@AlphaCentauri

Consider it just another Anti-Bot check. Who knowing the fact that cannot reproduce such characters, would try to write that two words, instead of simply ask for another couple? ;o)