CAPTCHAs for new members?

Warxas

CAPTCHAs for new members?

Post by Warxas » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:22 am

Since we just had the biggest forum spammer that WOT ever had. I believe it bumped over 130 old threads to add spam.

I thought that maybe, it would be a good idea, to make a new user correctly input a CAPTCHA, before a forum/blog/poll post could be submitted.

Now, I am saying new users as in, registration date. Not new users as in, how many ratings or posts they have acquired. As this could encourage frivolous ratings, just to be able to post something.
Perhaps a CAPTCHA would no longer have to be inputted, after 30 or so days. Or, if they were proven not to be a spammer. (Although, I'm not sure how they would prove they were not a spammer.)

Good idea, bad idea?

I think it's

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:33 am

a good idea. I would add that perhaps more than 30 days if the user continues to spam.

Sami

Re: CAPTCHAs for new members?

Post by Sami » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:55 am

We are going to add some limits for new users when it comes to posting to the forum or the blog. We could add a CAPTCHA too, but I suspect that wouldn't slow them down too much. Of course, we can try that too later if the limits aren't sufficient.

Timo

Comment limits

Post by Timo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:03 am

We now have limits for forum and blog comments. New users can post at most one comment in every 10 minutes. This limit applies only to users whose account was created in the last seven days.

TheAnon

Fantastic Idea. Posting

Post by TheAnon » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:27 am

Fantastic Idea.
Posting every 10 minutes should be completeley fine as unexperienced user.

I would extend the 7 day

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:02 pm

I would extend the 7 day limit as spammers could simply create accounts and leave them for say two weeks then mass spam.

Perhaps it would be more beneficial to say set the 5 or 10 minute rules on accounts that are below say gold membeer status fo they will not be able to spam the blog, forum and users..

www.issviews.com for views and news of the starte of digital security. Add your comments/.feedback on your existing security software to help others choose what's right for them and what isn't. Read up on the latest rogue software and threats too.

TheAnon

I suggest, it would be

Post by TheAnon » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:13 pm

I suggest, it would be enough to only have rookie members bound on this timeperiod

Nulander

---

Post by Nulander » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:04 pm

Yeah. But, when you have some more time, can you add even a "Report to Moderator" on Blog/Forum posts? Just to ease the notification system.
-----
MF IT-UESC - Protecting your Digital Experience. Now.

TheAnon

Mostly the spammers only do

Post by TheAnon » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:05 pm

Mostly the spammers only do a few spams. And you would decrease the change to be active when making a 10 posts per day block on scorecard.

c۞g

10 minute limit

Post by c۞g » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:03 pm

Is that users registration date ≤ 7 days from current date?