Changes to the forum

DeanC_UK

Changes to the forum

Post by DeanC_UK » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:10 am

Hi all,

Over the next week we will be continuously rolling out improvements to the forum. You probably have noticed that we now have categories listed on the main forums index page, but there's lots more to come. Some of the future changes:

• No more comment nesting. Comments on the forum will be flat, like on most forums online to make following long discussions easier (especially across multiple pages). To aid this when you click the reply button it will automatically insert the users post you are replying to in a quote, into your post. <span style="color: #508233">Complete</span>
  • Consistent breadcrumb navigation across the whole of the forum <span style="color: #508233">Complete</span>
  • Improved visibility of staff members to make it clearer when we pass judgement or make an important comment within a topic. Note that only posts we feel need highlighting as a staff member will be made as such.<span style="color: #508233">Complete</span>
  • Improved site review process (integrated into the forum). A lot of topics on the forum are based around people requesting that our community review their website, so we want to make this process more organised and standard <span style="color: #508233">Complete</span>
  • And more...
If you notice any problems or have any suggestions please leave them in this topic.

Thanks,

Dean

i☆

RE: Changes to the forum

Post by i☆ » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:08 pm

I suppose the layout is nice, but I would still like a way to have ALL of the threads listed so I can check for replies, etc. without clicking on each individual category.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:36 pm

Personally I like the new changes and am curious to see the new categories as I think this will lead to the forum being more managable and user friendly. This change is a big step in the right direction as the forums should be a place everyone finds informative, easy to use and inviting. The old system was a bit disorganised imo and severely lacking compared to forums in general.

@ DeanC_UK

Slightly off topic but your avatar has intreagued me over the weeks. Is that really you and was this picture taken on a balcony at <a href="http://www.qype.co.uk/place/242725-nelson-mandela-house-london">Nelson Mandela House<a> ~wink~

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:58 pm

Navigation

Very used to seeing all new posts via all forums on entry page.
This method restricts that but no big deal

What is a "big deal" is that to change forum, I need to click Forum then select.

IDEA!

Currently:
Forum

All Forums > General discussion > Changes to the forum

Include forum selection in each forum index, where is current forum is text and remaining are linked.

change to:
Forum
General discussion [label / currently active] | Website review requests [linked] | Technical advice [linked]
All Forums > General discussion > Changes to the forum[/i]

Having to click "All Forums" to get to a forum "list" is not "accessible navigation."

[edit: 27 April 2011 - 02:35am UTC]
orig post date: # Fri 15 Apr 2011
# 03:58:31 PM UTC

test, post edit date: remain or change?

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:00 pm

Not really good to me, for the first time I thought, how to understand, what is this, uncomfortable a bit, I think previous forum was more comfortable than now, maybe habit.

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:11 pm

No more comment nesting

Will this affect previous discussions?
If so... then those forum topics are going to look "out of place" since many replies were intended for the post "above"

Since "flat" is to be used, I would like to see an auto-generated:
@ user name topic title [link]
embedded as first line when clicking "Reply" to ensure the reply is correctly targeted to the intended post.

The nice thing about flat is no more replies on page 1 in a 5 page discussion, which makes it difficult to see the remaining "new" turned to "recent" postings.

Post deletion
previously deleting a post deleted replies "under" that post.

MISTAKE
*-> mistake reply 1
* ----> mistake reply 1 REPLY

delete MISTAKE
all replies deleted as well.

How will the new forum system work when they are formatted in "flat" style?
Do the MISTAKE reply and sub reply remain or are they still deleted?

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:42 pm

Flat comments = great. Else they get embedded where they are overlooked.
Major categories = good. Should be separated, will get mixed, need to open+review 3 locations instead of 1.
Breadcrumbs = great.
Staff visibility = great.
Improved reviews = great.
Automatic citing = WOOF! Current cite tag is better than reproducing some volumous post in it's entirety. If this must be, can it go inside a scrolling box? What happens when this reply is subsequently replied to (and replied to)? It would resemble a massive chain letter. Should automatically include "@whoTo".

Noted: stuff posted in WOT forum is searchable on Google within mere minutes.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:27 pm

to reply to the poll.

No, I prefer the forum as it was before

I have to be honest, I am completely lost and I cannot see any real improvement at the moment (ie: the 2 important "sticky" threads are no longer immediately visible to all)

Probably it is only a matter of time and I'll get accostumed.

I have a suggestion even if I'd like to talk about it through private message to DeanC_UK, Sami, annaleena, Timo and I would add some of the most active members like g7w, BobJam, shazza and a few more
I hope you would not mind.

Thank you

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:14 pm

I have a suggestion even if I'd like to talk about it through private message

No problems but is it fair to involve a select few in this private message correspondence and not the rest of WOT? Isn't that what this topic is for, to talk freely so that other can support or object to any proposal?

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:24 pm

@ DeanC_UK,

At the moment I don't like the change, BUT . . .

When Windows 95 came out, I went kicking and screaming from 3.1. But after about a month, I thought 95 was great. Then when 98 came out, I went kicking and screaming from 95. Than when XP came out, I went kicking and screaming from 98.

My point is this: Most of us don't like change, but ultimately we adjust to it, and then think it was better than the last iteration.

So I suspect my own evaluation right now. To me, making a judgement after only a day or two of exposure is much too much premature.

No, I don't like it right now, but then I've been using the same old interface for over two years.

My suspicion is that a novice who started out with this UI would think it was pretty slick, and when shown the old UI would think it was pretty clunky.

So most of us that have been around for a while will suffer from "the good old days" syndrome for a bit.

Nothing lasts forever, and the ability to adjust to change is essential for survival. So I'm not sure you can draw any valid conclusions from a poll right now.

If people still find this objectionable after about a month, I might be more inclined to think it was a bad idea. But right now, it's too early.

One thing going "flat" is going to emphasize is the need to indicate WHO you are responding to by using the "@" symbol convention.

Some do it now, but many still don't.

If you think people are confused now, they're going to be a heck of a lot more confused if this "@" thing isn't implemented with the new "flat" UI.