Could Belgium Bring Down Scientology?

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:26 am

'Scientologists may be facing their most daunting court case yet, and all it took was for someone to stop calling them a cult. After a years long legal battle, federal prosecutors in Belgium now believe their investigation is complete enough to charge the Church of Scientology and its leaders as a criminal organization on charges of extortion, fraud, privacy breaches, and the illegal practice of medicine.

"The decision follows years of investigation that was triggered by a complaint by the Labour Mediation Service in the Brussels Region. Labour mediators were unhappy with a number of labour contracts," reads the report from Flanders News. "The matter ended up on the desk of examining magistrate Michel Claise, who ordered raids on Church of Scientology premises in 2008.

During the raids police managed to seize a wealth of evidence," they add. And (with the help of Google translate) Belgian newspapers De Tijd and L'Echo are both reporting that the Belgian federal attorney is now seeking prosecution.'

I thought this article would be of interest to you all. :)

Jazspeak

RE: Could Belgium Bring Down Scientology?

Post by Jazspeak » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:44 pm

The answer to the question will undoubtedly be a resounding, "No". The Belgian authorities might be able to take action against arrested individuals but they are not in a position to bring down a whole organisation.

If you want to know how effective such action by the Belgian authorities is likely to be then just take a look at the way they mishandled their home-grown paedophile ring.

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:33 pm

<quote user="jazspeak">
The answer to the question will undoubtedly be a resounding, "No". [/quote]

This could be viewed as a rather pessimistic statement by those who still hold solid faith in the justice system however, as you have rightfully pointed out (and has been seen so much of late in the media), prosecutions against anyone but the common man have been proven to stall for long periods of time, may never reach a final verdict or result in trivial sentencing.

Do you remember the saying "Crime doesn't pay"? Not an expression used much today and when you look at what is happening in this world, it clearly shows the opposite. :-(

Jazspeak

Post by Jazspeak » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:50 pm

<quote user="issviews">
"...those who still hold solid faith in the justice system..."
[/quote]

Those who hold such solid faith in the justice system are those who have never suffered injustice.

I have boxes and boxes of documentary evidence that the UK Police and Courts permit, encourage, aid, abet, and reward those who commit serious criminal offences. I see no reason to assume that the Belgian authorities behave any differently to the UK authorities.

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:33 pm

<quote user="jazspeak">
Those who hold such solid faith in the justice system are those who have never suffered injustice.

I have boxes and boxes of documentary evidence that the UK Police and Courts permit, encourage, aid, abet, and reward those who commit serious criminal offences. I see no reason to assume that the Belgian authorities behave any differently to the UK authorities.
[/quote]

I have to agree. Nothing more prominent in many countries then "legal Injustice."
Scientology will always find away to scam.

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:59 pm

But discovery in one country could help obtain subpoenas in another ...

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:14 pm

<quote user="jazspeak">
The answer to the question will undoubtedly be a resounding, "No". The Belgian authorities might be able to take action against arrested individuals but they are not in a position to bring down a whole organisation.
[/quote]

Ever heard of the fact that countries cooperate? Probably not. I bet you're also wondering why the wikileaks owner is hiding in an embassy. ;)

<quote user="jazspeak">
If you want to know how effective such action by the Belgian authorities is likely to be then just take a look at the way they mishandled their home-grown paedophile ring (hxxp://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002/jan/25/wo ... ch.dutroux).
[/quote]

So you missed the fact that Belgium took down around and about 12 paedophile groups counting more than 1000 members in total (including Frenchies and Krauts) while they were at it. You know, being misinformed is no excuse. If I were to guess, I would say Belgium hunted down more paedophiles in that year than your country hunted down in ten. But who's counting? It only takes one of them to ruin my day.

Jazspeak

Post by Jazspeak » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:26 pm

@ OutsideTheBox (aka e-sushi, Umbrella Corps, uhka tutka, etc.)

Shooting from the lip is not a good idea on this forum. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Edit: BTW, referring to the French and Germans as "Frenchies and Krauts" is not only disrespectful (see Forum Guidlines) but could be indicative of underlying racism. I suggest that you curb such tendencies before you upset other members.

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:53 am

<quote user="jazspeak">
Shooting from the lip is not a good idea on this forum. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
[/quote]

Right.

I'm sure your UK newspaper provides more accurate information than the documents and proof that were used at the related, successful trails in Belgium and Germany.

I bet you're also confident enough to think you know more than a computer forensics guy who had to puke while securing some of the audio and video material that never was shown to the general public, but which was part of the material evidence presented at court. Maybe I should tell you that "someone" has been involved in tracking down and securing some of the related dirt in Germany and Belgium on a CF taskforce and "someone" has been following the progress and outcome accordingly because it's always nice to see the positive results of several years of work. One thing is sure: that "someone" wasn't you. We would have met along the way.

<quote user="jazspeak">
Edit: BTW, referring to the French and Germans as "Frenchies and Krauts" is not only disrespectful (see Forum Guidlines) but could be indicative of underlying racism. I suggest that you curb such tendencies before you upset other members.
[/quote]

[green]Being a french Kraut myself[/green], I can't really confirm your worries.

But it's lovely how you try to put up a smoke-screen by using the terms "disrespectful" and "indicative of underlying racism" to give yourself a glimpse of chance to be authoritative towards me. If you check the word "racism", you'll learn that it is usually defined as "views, practices and actions reflecting the belief that humanity is divided into distinct biological groups called races and that members of a certain race share certain attributes which make that group as a whole less desirable, more desirable, inferior or superior." I can not discriminate myself, my own kind, my country of origin or my country of residence as I am involved and related to all of them, because there is no such thing like "self-discimination" or "ego-discrimination".

Let me give you a tip: telling someone he's shooting from the lip is not nice if you base it on personal impressions alone, proving that "disrespectful" has many faces (see Forum Guidlines); including the one you're giving it.

But I'm probably over-reacting. UK newspapers also write things like [red]"The Scallop Wars! French attack our boats with rocks in battle over shellfish"[/red] ( http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -Navy.html ) as if a next world war has been started, so I am not really wondering about the misinformation you're subject to.

Blame the media, not the messenger.

No need to fight me: I may be half-french, but I'm not interested in your scallops (or anything else). ;)

Jazspeak

Post by Jazspeak » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:12 am

@ OutsideTheBox (aka e-sushi, Umbrella Corps, uhka tutka, etc.)

Do you have a useful contribution to this thread topic or are you just going to continue your off topic obsessing about paedophilia?