Desktop

tomtheriault

Desktop

Post by tomtheriault » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:46 am

Hi,

I install the desktop plug-in for safari and I see that "WOT" can access and transmit sensitive information from all web browsers.

Now, I am sure WOT would never do this but everybody is hackable, everybody.

So, who's to say that some hacker couldn't hack WOT and based on all those plug-in people have installed, and some set the "Auto Update" which would now auto update a hacked version ... sending all web transaction to some unsavory individual.

Sorry WOT ... I "Uninstalled" the plug-in.

I am getting scam attempts every single day. And every company eventually gets hacked. The most reset scam is coming form "SendGrid" ... this is disgusting ... these guys never said a word until they were force to admit it, then they said it wasn't really anything, then again ... force to admit that they were hacked and all information was take.

Why would you design an app / plug-in that would allow information from my web browser to be sent somewhere ??

Site-rater

RE: Desktop

Post by Site-rater » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:54 am

Is this a troll post based on a bit of code that has since been removed?
If your addon contains within its code any references to secure.mywot.com then it is a version that needs to be immediately updated.

The source code to the Chrome version of the WOT add-on is found in the folder %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\bhmmomiinigofkjcapegjjndpbikblnp when it is installed (on a Windows system, other platforms have different directories).

Kraftwerk

Post by Kraftwerk » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:45 am

<quote user="site-rater">
Is this a troll post based on a bit of code that has since been removed?
[/quote]

Actually he pretends to have installed it now so what he claims isnt true.

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:10 pm

<quote user="kraftwerk">
Actually he pretends to have installed it now so what he claims isnt true.
[/quote]
Actually, version 3.0.6 of the WOT extension for Safari is available at
https://safari-extensions.apple.com/?q=wot
Upon installation via the Safari Extensions Gallery, the browser user is immediately notified
“WOT” can read, modify, and transmit content from all webpages. This
could include sensitive information like passwords, phone numbers,
and credit cards.
and is presented with an Uninstall button if those terms aren't acceptable.
&nbsp;

kevin mitchell

Post by kevin mitchell » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:35 am

I've received the same info as you did, Desktop, so I came on here to see what it's all about as well, and the only responses to your concerns are ones claiming that you're trolling or that you only pretended to install it. Not very helpful, and actually quite demeaning responses at that. I'm with you, I'm uninstalling - I don't want my passwords accessed by this plug-in.