My problem with it?
Digsby offers 2 download options
- The first is clicking the big DOWNLOAD button that transfers a file (Windows OS) - setup_digsby.exe (4.97 MB)
- As noted on the download page:
Clicking this Download button starts InstallIQ™
It manages your installation. Learn More
we all know, or should know the relationship of W3i and freeze.com, it's been discussed before.
To refresh a little, freeze.com is associated with Phishing, Adware, Spyware, and Browser Exploits
There is an alternate download in the fine print that downloads a non-InstallIQ setup file - digsby_setup.exe (15.2 MB) SA has this file Yelllow and rightly so
Both setup files have several options:
- The InstallIQ setup options - reference this comment
There are 4 Agreement acceptance buttons:
- is for installing "Digsby" it self
- for installing "PC Confidential" - Author's Scorecard
- for installing "Registry Power Cleaner" Author - same as above
- the last Acceptance button was to agree to make "My.Freeze.com" as your default homepage.
- After the InstallIQ is finished and downloads the actual digbsy setup file (the 15.2MB one) and you actually install digsby you are then presented with these pre-checked selected options:
- Run Digsby now
- Start Digsby when my computer starts
- Make Google Powered Digsby search my homepage
- Make Google Powered Digsby search my search engine
- Add Amazon and Ebay search to my browser
Now deselecting all options to close upon installation does not terminate digsby... it opens your browser to the digsby site with a "thank you" notification.
If these options were not pre-selected and left up to the user to click to add during install, I would give digsby a Green to go rating.
But as we all know, most people, especially young people, do not read EULA's, privacy policies, or even review pre-selected install options, they just click "install" "OK" "Submit" to the installation is quick and they can try out their new "toy." The digsby developers, and freeze.com are well aware of this and that's why everything is preset to install all this other garbage with the simple IM.
BTW 39MB / over 2,000 file in over 35 folders is a bit much for a "simple chat."
Digsby is coded in Python and requires an interpreter to load it's base files on Windows
So with the freeze.com spyware, the browser exploits, and the adware... why is WOT rating tis Green?