Do you consider your antivirus software reliable?

MyWOT-Team

Do you consider your antivirus software reliable?

Post by MyWOT-Team » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:45 am

This year we've seen several serious flaws in popular antivirus software from the most famous vendors.

What are signs you look for that can show your AV might not be 100% up to the job?

Do you believe that these programs are reliable tools against malware? What additional steps do you take to ensure your own security?

ScamKiller73

RE: Do you consider your antivirus software reliable?

Post by ScamKiller73 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:04 pm

Thank you for creations of a similar subject.
In my opinion any antivirus won't be able to provide to 100% protection against all threats. Even in test laboratories reports on checks show that protection approaches 99.9%. I think that the good antivirus has to have all necessary modules of protection, such as: HIPS, SandBox, Firewall, Web Protection, Parent Control. On one signatures it won't turn out to provide good protection now. But even despite such modules of protection in an anti-virus product, all the same there are admission cases. I consider that the best antivirus is the user if the user makes thrifty use of protection of the computer, then he will be able independently to protect from all threats, but if there was any mistake from the user, then the antivirus surely will help. I prefer to use complex antiviruses or two various products, but to make so that supplemented each other. Also I use additional extensions of safety for the browser. For periodic check I use various scanners to make sure that the computer is pure.

CharlesS1

Post by CharlesS1 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:54 am

I do not use any antivirus software, but I make use of preventive measures to avoid computer virus, such as:
- Websites can't store cookies, only those safe, like: Outlook, Yahoo Mail, MyWot and others;
- I don't run all .exe, only those who are safe;
- Use the VirusTotal website to check for virus in a few .exe;

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:44 pm

I use Windows Defender on Windows 10 and have never had any issues with viruses,

I like it because it is so light on resources and is fully automatic where the user does not have to do anything. It is much improved from earlier days and is a "set it and forget it" program. Windows 10 does add a nice feature of enhanced notifications that you can use in Windows Defender to tell tell you about things with your computer. It's enabled by default.

All the others Avast, Avira, AVG, Panda have become very bloated and the free versions try to up-sell the paid versions. Some even have low grade adware like toolbars and crap. I just want a light simple AV that will auto update and protect my PC. I don't want to have to renew a yearly license, modify settings I don't want. I don't want my machine slowing down excessively. Often computer speed is sacrificed for higher protection.

From what I have read, another light AV product is Bit Defender Free. However, if you are careful, don't open unknown files, don't visit shady websites, keep up with Windows Update, Windows Defender should be fine.

Satch

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:04 pm

Several years Norton would false-positive my software product under "WS.Reputation.1" however that trouble seems to have gone away, as I have had no detections in my past two releases despite forgetting to submit it for whitelisting.
McAfee's McAfee-GW-Edition reliably false-positives my installer (but none of the .exe or .dll file), and they have never responded to removal requests.

destinationtruth

Post by destinationtruth » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:33 pm

I'll stick with ESET Smart Security

hotdoge3

Post by hotdoge3 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:43 am

it's a know think all not very good

htxxtp://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36672002

Symantec security software had 'critical' flaws

Computer security company Symantec has patched eight security holes discovered in its own security software.
Researchers at Google's Project Zero informed Symantec of "multiple critical vulnerabilities", which they said were "as bad as it gets".

htxxtps://googleprojectzero.blogspot.co.nz/2016/06/how-to-compromise-enterprise-endpoint.html

Symantec has published advisories for customers, available here.
CVE-2016-2208: Vulnerability Details

williKi

Post by williKi » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:18 pm

Any AV product is preferable to none at all. As for me, I use AVG 2016, Malwarebytes Premium, Anti-Exploit, and Anti-Ransomeware (I know, probably overkill.) I also use browser add-ons, such as Ad Blocker Ultimate, No Script, and Ublock Origin. With the Avast acquisition of AVG, I'm into wait and see.