FBI trying to force Apple to write malware!

Site-rater

FBI trying to force Apple to write malware!

Post by Site-rater » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:34 pm

hxxps://www.apple.com/customer-letter/ (this one's EV SSL hosted on Apple's own IP space! EDIT: According to SSL Labs has some IP addresses proxied by Akamai and others)
hxxp://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/02/17/467096705/apple-the-fbi-and-iphone-encryption-a-look-at-whats-at-stake
hxxp://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2016-02/17/tim-cook-apple-encryption-iphone-san-bernardino

It appears the FBI obtained a court order that pretty much demands that for an investigation Apple write a special, malicious iOS firmware, to disable all security features in order to potentially help the FBI in an investigation.
Of course the problem here is that if that were to get into the wild or if FBI were to have possession of that code, it could, if it were possible to create, undermine the security of every iPhone in circulation!

Apple plans to appeal.

A440

RE: FBI trying to force Apple to write malware!

Post by A440 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:09 am

Senior management in the FBI or politicians are behind this bone-headed ploy.

williKi

Post by williKi » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:39 pm

Government should save their cash and get some of the stuff already floating around the Internet. Just saying.

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:16 pm

What amazes me is that they could not open the phone, I had some German friends that used to be invited to the Vegas convention
htxtps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEF_CON
that would play around that device, like an expert in resolving a Rubik's cube ........... in seconds
BTW, the only way I resolved the problem was even easier = a 20 pounds sledgehammer, don't forget to wear protective glasses

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:13 am

This was quick:
hxxps://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/apple-privacy-petition
Already at 2.5k signatures at the time of writing!

williKi

Post by williKi » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:24 pm

Just signed the petition. I hope they get stopped cold.

Ivan Blue

Post by Ivan Blue » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:23 pm

I am sure the FBI can hire professional hackers to access information in that phone even if Apple doesn't build a backdoor for the government to walk through.

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:59 pm

Unfortunately the petition has become fragmented - hXXps://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/respect-peoples-right-privacy-inhibiting-governments-compulsion-tech-companies-create-backdoors

Please don't sign this one; flag it instead because it is a duplicate. Sign only the first one I mentioned, which is now up to 5.4k votes.

Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:29 am

<quote user="ivan blue">
I am sure the FBI can hire professional hackers to access information in that phone even if Apple doesn't build a backdoor for the government to walk through.
[/quote]

Real hacking generally doesn't work that way. Sorry, I don't have time to type out some of the methods that really work- just know that virtually none of them are as Hollywood as people think.

destinationtruth

Post by destinationtruth » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:20 pm

For me it's simple. Let Apple open it yet not give the method used for this phone only, and a warrant should be acquired first. There is no difference here then getting a warrant to search one's premise with reasonable cause. This may just save lives.