FF 5

RE: FF 5

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:58 pm

Leofelix =

" Coming back to Firefox I think that Mozilla is going awry.
As far as I could see, too many people are no longer happy with Firefox "

Agreed and I hope they listen, and remember why they started the whole project to begin with -

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:58 pm

<quote user="leofelix">
Coming back to Firefox I think that Mozilla is going awry.
As far as I could see, too many people are no longer happy with Firefox
[/quote]

That makes 2 of us :) I have stuck with 3.6.18 (just updated from 3.6.17) as I am neither impressed with 4..01 or the 5.0 at present. Hopefully 6.0 will be far better but if this is anything like the last two versions, I guess I will move browsers to Orca as suggested by MysteryFCM.

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:12 pm

The browser wars are heating up again, especially with Chrome now in the market.

FF (I am at 3.6.17) seems to view their role in the competition as a blank check for bloat.

The advantage of FF was it's customizability while still maintaining a LOW footprint, and it's security. Now it seems to have lost some cutomizability, ALL of any advantage it might have had for a low footprint, and in the security arena . . . well it seems to have suffered ironically by it's own success. It's getting attacked more often as malware writers realize it's getting more market share.

I have in the past messed around with Chrome and Opera . . . both are expanding their add on capabilities, particularly Chrome . . . one of the advantages that FF held previously. Chrome and Opera are catching up fast.

And both, with the exception of Chrome being related to Google and questions of privacy, aren't too shabby in the security arena . . . especially Opera.

I agree with many in this thread who have speculated that FF is going down the wrong path.

A shame, because at one time FF was far above the competition . . . IMO. Now they seem to have lost that edge and are rapidly turning plain vanilla and blending in with the rest of the pack . . . and in some cases even going to the back of the class.

For a time I was a Chrome kinda' guy and then switched back to FF again. Now I think I might go back to Chrome or dance some more with Opera.

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:29 pm

<quote user="bobjam">
FF (I am at 3.6.17) seems to view their role in the competition as a blank check for bloat.
[/quote] The newest FireFox is intended to substantially reduce the bloat, I believe. Rather, it is Mozilla's SeaMonkey (kitchen sink* not included) that glorifies its bloat. Typically, multi-platform browsers haven't been successful at reducing bloat for very long.

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:44 pm

FF5 (en) running on Win7 x32 (en) since last night.

No issues whatsoever. I only noticed minor interface changes and two of the less-famous addons I use failed to comply to the new FF version (my text-editor fixed that - LOL).

Feels a bit speedier than before - but benchmark says no. Whatever. Works - that's the most important thing.

I agree to the bloat. Some things could have been left out indeed. Give me that plain and simple browser, not a beast with 1001 options.

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:53 pm

Im still rocking 3.6 on my main host. I am unhappy with ff 4 let alone 5. I was really unhappy when I saw the similarity between chrome and Firefox 4.0.

Whatever I use them all for checking web designs in different environments.

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:03 pm

<quote user="uhka tutka">

I agree to the bloat. Some things could have been left out indeed. Give me that plain and simple browser, not a beast with 1001 options.
[/quote]

Right on target that was the reason I avoided Vistas, from day one!

Now I am tired of being tracked by Google, there is no way you can disable the auto-detect and is bothersome to constantly change location

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:18 pm

<quote user="superhero58">
I am tired of being tracked by Google, there is no way you can disable the auto-detect and is bothersome to constantly change location
[/quote]

I use this one: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/always-com-googlecom-in-englis/

Maybe it helps you too.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:56 am

Google toolbar add on is not compatible with ff5.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:02 am

@ uhka tutka =
Thank you , for that add on , it will help me greatly !

Edit = I am afraid I did not express my problem properly -

" Automatically detected location

To provide you with the most relevant results, Google attempts to automatically detect your location and customize results based on that detected location. A location that's labeled "Auto-detected" is chosen based on the following factors:

* Your IP address .

This feature of Google, is feeding from your IPS, Google will know where you are, unless you enter a different location, but the moment you erase that cookie [ and there is no way to make it permanent ] the default auto detect kicks in -

" The customization of search results based on location is an important component of a consistent, high-quality search experience. Therefore, we haven't provided a way to turn off location customization, although we've made it easy for you to set your own location or to customize using a general location as broad as the country that matches your local domain."

I wrote to Google, but not results so far

I do thank you for the add on, regardless and I apologize for going off topic!