Firefox 4 , my biggest disappointment

Firefox 4 , my biggest disappointment

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:46 pm

I have spent hours trying to recover a lot of data, lost to what I believed whats going to be a better Firefox

I would like to know if I am the only one with these problems, but the moment I downloaded Firefox 4 my opt outs from Google were not compatible with the new Firefox, the browser would tell me to wait, just to download add-ons from Mozilla in order to protect me

It is a pain to navigate, and I would not recommend it to no one, as it is the add- ons that I had with 3.06 not longer work

If anyone could suggest a better browser, I would try it, but Firefox have lost a member today

charrox

RE: Firefox 4 , my biggest disappointment

Post by charrox » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:45 pm

Try to move on to chrome. :) Only a suggestion. Its much faster than FF for me, but it eats up memory.

Jazspeak

Post by Jazspeak » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:57 pm

FF4 has built in opt-outs for Google, and whole load of other trackers. It is worth reading the FF help pages to see about this and other stuff such as getting the status bar back in view (necessary for Robtex et al to be usable).

The opt-outs are not engaged by default, and you have to activate them (in Windows) by going to Tools-Options-Advanced and select the box that says that you do not want to be tracked.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:40 pm

I stuck with FF 3.6 as I was aware there were issues with many addons. Will wait until these have been addressed before considering the move. May take a while but not a necessity for me at this time.

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:02 pm

I loved Firefox from around 2.0-3.5. After that, little problems just started escalating and escalating and even after freshly reformatting the machine and reinstalling Windows XP, Firefox would freeze, not work well with Java/Flash. Each version has become more and more of a resource hog.

I have this image of Firefox 4 being a big bloated mess, and I don't think the browser is going to get any better. Sure, they will add new features, and little doo-dad Mickey Mouse things. But the best for speed and slickness was below 3.5. Firefox has changed, and sadly, not for the better.

Satch

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:04 pm

Optimize Google works with firefox 4.0
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/optimizegoogle/

you can prevent google to track you

Ghostery works either
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ghostery/

Same for BetterPrivacy and Beef TACO
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/beef-taco-targeted-advertising/

However I do not like FF 4.0 either, hence I changed some settings to make it more similar to the previous v 3.6

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:05 pm

Some info here: http://www.howtogeek.com/56595/firefox-4-finally-released-and-it-looks-like-opera-screenshot-tour/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=230311&utm_content=emailsidebar

Note that FF 4 has changed the architecture for add ons, hence many add ons used on 3.6 won't work right now (as IssViews has already said).

Swapfire

Post by Swapfire » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:21 pm

Add ons will catch up, just be patient. Problem with FF4 is it's soooo slow... And it get slower and slower each day you use it (I'm sorry if it's not convenient for me to clean cache every several hours... Played with it for a week and went back to Chrome... Anyone know good Chromium release for windows 7 with "google watch" cut out?

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:27 pm

I found 4 addons that I rely on heavily were not compatible :( Stopped me upgrading.

Jazspeak

Post by Jazspeak » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:33 pm

"I have this image of Firefox 4 being a big bloated mess..."

FF4 is not a bloated mess in the final release version. There were obviously difficulties with the beta versions but the release version is much faster, more stable, and more secure than earlier versions. I would say that your image, Satchman, is not a true picture but an imagining (perhaps based on the beta versions), and I would go further and say that your posting shows that it is doubtful that you have even tried the latest release version.

Like all new things, the latest release of FF just needs a bit of time and use to become as familiar as previous versions. Of course, if people don't read the release notes and help pages then the learning curve will probably be too steep, in which case you might as well just stick to what you know and get left behind the rest of us who are willing to learn new things.

Although it seems that many of the old familiar addons do not work with FF4, most of those addons are incorporated, albeit in a different form, into FF4 and so they are not actually needed as addons. Sure, it takes a little while to find your way around setting up the various aspects and functions of the browser (it certainly took me a while to work out what had happened to the old padlock icon) but that is just a modest price of progress.