Firefox Emergency Patch Update Virus Going Around

Satchman

Firefox Emergency Patch Update Virus Going Around

Post by Satchman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:28 am

Dear WOT,

I got this redirect twice on my Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 machine. Twice in the last two weeks. I am very cautious about what I click. This is a tricky one because according to Norton Internet Security, the URL changes daily. Mozilla is aware of the problem, but does not yet have a fix. The Virus redirect even shows strong encryption, so people might be fooled! Be careful!

Do not click on this update! The picture in the URL description will explain what it is about:

hxxps://community.norton.com/en/forums/fake-urgent-update-page-appears-daily-firefox-despite-nis

Satch

Satchman

RE: Firefox Emergency Patch Update Virus Going Around

Post by Satchman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:43 am

Dear WOT users,

If you get the "Urgent Firefox Update" screen which leads to a virus in Firefox if installed, a good idea is to use the Ad Block Plus extension if you have it and select "Report an Issue on this page", with the radio button "Firefox Does Not Block an Advertisement" selected. (Select the down arrow next to the icon and "Report an issue on this page. Include the screen shot of the fake update.)

A tip is that if you do NOT click the Anonymous Sample Submission box, your report will be given higher processing priority. Users with a different Ad Blocker, may be able to use similar steps to notify as many as possible about this malware.

Satch

Dutch Mountain

Post by Dutch Mountain » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:20 pm

Tx mate.......great info !

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:05 am

<quote user="dutch mountain">
Tx mate.......great info !
[/quote]

You're welcome Dutch Mountain.!