Forum improvement proposal.

Dutch Mountain

Forum improvement proposal.

Post by Dutch Mountain » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:30 pm

Hi everyone,
I HAVE AN IDEA TO IMPROVE THE FORUM SECTION “SITE EVALUATIONS” !

The problem I’m faced with is that it happens so many times that we put energy in analyzing a site from an evaluation request and the O.P. ( original poster ) doesn’t respond anymore.
I don’t think I’m the only one. Right !
Even if you have questions, remarks or whatever that needs to be solved – NADA / NOTHING !

Many of these newbies seem to think that their job is done once they’ve thrown their message into the forum section “Site evaluations” .
I know we can’t expect a nice “Thank you” all the time. But it’s getting pretty annoying that it’s quite common now not to respond at all. And I want to do something about that, because we all want to be taken serious…………….

MY PROPOSAL :
To solve this I want to suggest that WOT carries out a small change that I’ve abstracted from Linkedin discussion groups.

I’m now and then active in several of these groups. And every time you post something there, or leave a comment on someone’s posting, you get notified on your E mailbox when someone writes a reaction on your message. And if you don’t want to follow the ( mostly short ) discussion anymore you can easily disable the function again ( for that discussion ).
I like that system and use it often.

This could be a good idea for WOT as well. Let every O.P. in the section “Site evaluations” give their E mail address to WOT HQ ( not to us in public in the forum ) when they fill in the form for an evaluation request. Once a member comments, HQ will then send an E mail to the O.P. automatically
In that way we’re sure that the O.P. will be notified when someone has responded in the forum and a discussion starts in a thread. And it’s a nice service to the newbies as well !

It can help improve the forum and it can also avoid members leaving us after getting unmotivated.
I know that has happened already several times and through that we’ve lost some valuable members.

Just a thought that maybe needs some polishing.
Reactions please………….
Peter.

Note I'm posting this now from the USA ( Houston ) on my way to Central America.
I hope to have internet connection there. If not, I can't join the discussion for a week.
Work to do you know......

Curious what you think of this.

Jazspeak

RE: Forum improvement proposal.

Post by Jazspeak » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:42 pm

On the other hand, some of these threads can get quite long and so the proposal to send e-mails could result in lots of e-mails all saying much the same thing filling up the OP's inbox.

I certainly agree that there are a lot of site owners who stick around just long enough to get what they want, or realise that they aren't going to get what they want, and then are never heard of again. Not even a "So long, and thanks for all the fish". However, I don't think that those site owners should be coerced into receiving compulsory e-mails, especially not from WOT.

Armored

Post by Armored » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:01 am

<quote user="dutch mountain">
Let every O.P. in the section “Site evaluations” give their E mail address to WOT HQ ( not to us in public in the forum ) when they fill in the form for an evaluation request. Once a member comments, HQ will then send an E mail to the O.P. automatically
[/quote] I got nothing against the idea as long as it's a voluntary option that the OP can select. It is annoying when they don't reply especially when your trying to help. To be honest though OP's really should use RSS feeds and bookmarks-but if email notifications will help I'm all for it.

<quote user="jazspeak">
I don't think that those site owners should be coerced into receiving compulsory e-mails, especially not from WOT.
[/quote] That can be overcome by simply making it voluntary to accept the emails.

<quote user="jazspeak">
On the other hand, some of these threads can get quite long and so the proposal to send e-mails could result in lots of e-mails all saying much the same thing filling up the OP's inbox.
[/quote] As Dutch Mountain mentioned above It would be an option that can be easily disabled at any time.

Heck it can even be designed to only give a notification for the first 2 replies. if somebody doesn't respond to the thread by then, they aren't worth notifying anyway. I don't think that will be necessary though, as having the option to opt-out from the emails before and during the evaluation request should be enough to alleviate any of the problems mentioned.

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:57 am

Possibility 1
Option to receive, selected by default. If selected:
Option to receive each time there is a reply or each n days that there are replies, set to "each reply" by default.
If set to "each reply": Degrades over time from "per reply" to "per day", then 2, 3, 5, 8, 12, 17, 23 days, then stops.
If set to "n days": Degrades by the same schedule, starting at "n days".
Each notification contains an opt-out and a reminder of why the message was sent.
If the opt-out is used, the topic is marked to say the OP is done with it.

Caveat:
I (a trickster) get someone else's email address,
I sign up for WoT membership,
I start a flurry of topics,
the target gets a flurry of emails,
the target reports the sender (WoT) for spamming and yowls about it to the world.
To counter this, there would need to be an initial "Did you submit this?" email - could seem messy for seasoned members.
Unless it was only applied to Rookies. This already seems messy for the programmers.
But DM was only thinking about Site Evaluation requests - which are sometimes started by Rookies in the wrong Forum.

Possibility 2
Upon creation of a topic, a BIG MESSAGE prompts the OP to immediately subscribe to his RSS feed, or save a link or bookmark, or otherwise religiously follow and respond to his topic, because volunteers - Volunteers! - are offering their (limited) time to assist him.

I do think too many people don't realize we are volunteers, otherwise we would not need to tell them so often - it wouldn't hurt to be a little more verbose about it where it matters, like when starting a new topic, WoT account, Site Evaluation request, etc. The word "community" is visible everywhere (and sounds nice) but, to the over-quick, may not translate all the way to "volunteers". Just a thought.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:04 am

The saying "You can lead a horse to water but you can't force it to drink" springs to mind.

A site owner comes here for an initial website evaluation or to contest his curent rating so they are aware of this service and, like anything else, it is their responsibility to check the progress of their thread/complaint, not any one elses. I also get the impression that many disapear when they are faced with things they don't want to hear or are reccomended changes to their site that they don't know how to implement or want to.

Your idea of a website owner leaving a contact email address to notify them of new posts to their site request, new comments placed on their scorecard or changes to the site rating i.e. goes from green to yellow sounds fine but shoud be optional imo, if ever implemented by WOT.

1. Website owners would have to leave a site contact address i.e. <username> or <position> [at] <domain> dot com, net, etc.
2. Free mail providers would not be acceptable. The mail should be registered and addressed someone to their domain only.
3. An opt out will need to be available for the site owner as they may not want to hear of updates to posts forever more.
4. A disclaimer by WOT to avoid being accused of spam. i.e. we have seen many accounts try scorecard/thread manipultaion with one liner praise for the site. Getting an email every time a new post is made, can be very frustrating once your email inbox starts to get several mails a day.

Although you have come up with a good suggestion, I personally believe it would not make much of a difference or encourage site owners to be any more communicative than they already are. I base this on malware removal requests for help submitted to many prominent free and AV company sites where a person asked for help and the thread is eventually closed (unresolved) because the person stopped responding to, or following the help given. I have no doubt the same would happen with WOT.

Is it, or should it be, WOTs responsibility to chase people! No, imo.

webhawk

Post by webhawk » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:15 pm

in general a good idea. it would be already quite a good point if wot is telling them that we put a lot of time into this and that they should thank us for this.

on the other hand, with all the mass-ratings I am not sure if they will.......

mentalist3d

Post by mentalist3d » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:28 pm

I would support this idea. I see some people have expressed concern over the amount of emails that you may end up receiving, but there is a solution to prevent multiple emails.

I can't remember what site uses the technology, but how it works, is that if you subscribe to the comments section, you will receive a notification of replies only once, and to continue to receive notifications you have to visit the page you were subscribed to. If you don't visit, no more notifications. You are also free to unsubscribe at any time.

If a method to subscribe via email was implemented, I would also consider adding a small notice to each evaluation request made by an OP which states something like:
The OP has subscribed to receive notifications for new replies
or
The OP has chosen not to receive notifications for new replies
I use the RSS to subscribe to some threads, but not always, other threads, like site evaluations, I would choose to subscribe by email, as I check my emails daily, but not my RSS feeds.

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:31 pm

Most forums send notifications by default. Lots of people wouldn't know how to sign up for an RSS feed for a single thread. They're probably assuming that since they didn't get any emails, no one responded to their requests.

I would also favor voluntary notifications, box checked by default.

Dutch Mountain

Post by Dutch Mountain » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:01 am

<quote user="jazspeak">

I certainly agree that there are a lot of site owners who stick around just long enough to get what they want, or realise that they aren't going to get what they want, and then are never heard of again. Not even a "So long, and thanks for all the fish". However, I don't think that those site owners should be coerced into receiving compulsory e-mails, especially not from WOT.
[/quote]

To me only an E mail send after the first reaction is placed seems more than enough. Like Issviews said > you can lead a horse to the water but can't force it to drink. So one notification is enough. And that's something Mentalist also said.

BTW Sorry for my late reaction. I'm in Central America for work and didn't have a decent internet connection available.
This is my first chance to respond from a hotel near the airport. Flying home tomorrow, I'll be 19 hours on the way, WOW !
I'll be back , if needed, in a few days.
And sorry for the lousy typing, this keyboard is doing weird things.
I'm glad that most of you are positive, though making good remarks
To be continued
Peter

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:46 am

To request a Site Eval, you're supposed to claim your site
also, you must be registered.

A Site eval reply => notify OP is a good idea.
This should be via user notification, an automated system to Site Evaluation OP's similar to those _we_ get from "Admin" stating something like:
Hi,
The following replies have have been posted to your site's evaluation discussion.
Please read and respond to these replies as you have requested.

As for email notification, there should be an option when creating the SE topic.
However, it should be OPT-IN meaning the offer is there but OP must select to choose it.

I have 2 more ideas is addition to OP notification :)
  1. IF 1 or more reply is made
    AND the OP does not respond (reply in discussion) in ... 21 days (3 weeks)
    THEN the OP is automatically locked and no new eval topic could be made for that domain
  2. Site eval's for ADULT related domains
    Should have a check box for admin to confirm
    IF selected
    then WOT should have an overlay stating
    This site contains content not suitable for children, please use discretion.
    Continue? [_} No | [_] Yes
The adult child safety warning idea came from this site eval: [url=https://www.mywot.com/forum/30532-mysexyshop-org t=_self]mysexyshop.org[/url]
This child warning would be good for new / existing topics as well through out the forums.