Free hosts

Sherincall

Free hosts

Post by Sherincall » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:32 pm

I've noticed that with some free hosts (Taking www.ifastnet.com as an example here), new users/websites inherit the hosts reputation.. Most hosts have a 'yellow' reputation (No idea why, but I wont question it) and our sites that are hosted there have the same.. Here are a few examples:

www.sherincall.ifastnet.com

www.leopold.ifastnet.com

www.leka.ifastnet.com

The sites have definitely not earned themselves such a reputation, and some haven't been online long enough for people to testify (except me).

Is there a reasoning behind this?

Sami

re:Free hosts

Post by Sami » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:00 pm

Until the system has enough data for a specific subdomain, the parent domain's reputation (in the DNS hierarchy) will affect the subdomain's reputation. Once the system considers the data it has for a subdomain to be reliable, the parent's reputation no longer matters.

Similarly, the reputation of each subdomain contributes to the parent domain's reputation. If a domain has lots of untrustworthy subdomains, its reputation will suffer, and therefore, the reputation of any new subdomains will suffer as well.

Now, considering probably the majority of the websites on many of the free hosting sites are created by scammers of some sort, this naturally leads to any new subdomain to be considered suspicious at first. This is a feature in the WOT system that we feel models the way trust works in real life quite nicely.

You might also be interested in this blog post:

http://www.mywot.com/en/wot/blog/2007/3/29/

Sherincall

re:Free hosts

Post by Sherincall » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:45 pm

Thank you for the response.

~Sherincall