Getting WOT reviews into Google search results

alphacentauri

Getting WOT reviews into Google search results

Post by alphacentauri » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:33 pm

I have been posting on SiteAdvisor.com for some time. Some of the investigations done by its bot are useful, especially leaving an email address on each website and reporting whether that address began to receive spam. But while they are prompt at rating phish and malware, they move glacially slowly in rating fraud. The bot can't tell there is a fake Better Business Bureau seal or a fake pharmacy license displayed, for instance. And instead of leaving sites "grey" during an evaluation period, if no malware is found, they are bumped up to "green."

The user reviews are the only safety net, and they have no effect on the red-yellow-green rating a site receives. Many clearly fraudulent sites are yellow (if on a spam blacklist) or even green instead of red. WOT's user-controlled rating system has a clear advantage with fraudulent sites, and such sites are probably the majority of the ones people need information about.

But if someone is considering buying from an online pharmacy and does a Google search on the domain name, SiteAdvisor comes up near the top of the list and WOT won't appear at all.

It occurs to me that part of the reason SiteAdvisor gets so much more visibility in Google results is the way the SA site is structured. The ten top users in several categories are listed on the "reviewer central" page. That page links to longer lists of fifty top reviewers for each category. Then, each user's name links to their profile, which links to their 500 most recent reviews. No login is needed to view any of that. Google apparently visits "reviewer central" hourly, as it picks up reviews even from bulk reviewers who are doing hundreds of reviews a day (so their list of the most recent 500 is quite ephemeral).

In contrast, WOT requires a login to view reviewer profiles. From what I can see (and admittedly, I'm new here and may be missing something), only a short list of the most recent reviews by all reviewers are publicly visible to visitors who are not logged in. While an unregistered visitor can go directly to the scorecard for a particular domain by typing in the domain name, I don't see the sort of cascading series of links that quickly get review pages indexed by Google on SiteAdvisor.

I think it would be a tremendous service to people who are at risk of being scammed to make WOT more visible. Fraudulent sites get rated red here much more quickly than on SiteAdvisor. Is there some site index page I'm missing that creates a web of links to reviews on the Web of Trust? If not, could there be one?

Nulander

---

Post by Nulander » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:47 pm

> And instead of leaving sites "grey" during an evaluation period, if no malware is found, they are bumped up to "green."

Bad. This practice is unreliable.
-----
MF IT-UESC - Protecting your Digital Experience. Now.

It would be a good idea to

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:40 am

It would be a good idea to enable people to look at profiles even if they are not registered here.

alphacentauri

Doesn't have to change the profile page settings

Post by alphacentauri » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:26 pm

It doesn't have to be the profiles; that's just one way of getting a broad number of pages linked to a single entry page. It could be as simple as an invisible index page that is submitted to Google webmaster services that has a list of the most recent 20,000 scorecards which have been edited. It just has to be accessible to a nonregistered user. (I realize some forums make Google and other search engines registered users, but they still seem not to index registered user only pages.)

c۞g

Agree

Post by c۞g » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:19 pm

I think it would be a tremendous service to people who are at risk of being scammed to make WOT more visible.

This might also increase WOT's user base; gaining higher results listing.
It's fine for WOT users, bt those who do not know about WOT seeing a WOT [scorecard] reference would help.

Example, Google this site: [url=http://www.google.com/#q=canadianpharmacymeds.com t=_self]canadianpharmacymeds.com[/url]
SA is mentioned on page 3 for me, checking the first 12 pages, there was no reference to WOT or the site's scorecard.

SA has it green: http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/canadianpharmacymeds.com
but clearly the site is fraudulent: http://www.mywot.com/scorecard/canadianpharmacymeds.com
including a [url=http://www.legitscript.com/ t=_self]LegitScript[/url] reference.

-------
WOT Services Ltd. - gives us safety through Web of Trust.
WOT Community - gives us security through unity.
Thank you all
- G7W

I agree

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:49 pm

They seem to have some real users.

alphacentauri

not the best example

Post by alphacentauri » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:57 pm

canadianpharmacymeds.com isn't the best example. If you check the site, they do require identification and valid prescriptions from a physician, just like Medco or Caremark. And you can go to the Canadian International Pharmacy Association, ciparx.ca, and find that the pharmacy is a member in good standing.

The issue is whether a pharmacy that is selling legally to Canadians may ship to residents of the U.S. It violates U.S. law, which is why LegitScript gives them a thumbs down. But there are some state governments who arranged to have their employees fill their prescriptions through online Canadian pharmacies to save money for their taxpayers. It's much like the medical marijuana issue, where some states have decided they don't agree with the federal law and have chosen to ignore it. I wouldn't lump those pharmacies together with ones like "Canadian Pharmacy" or "My Canadian Pharmacy" that aren't operating legally in any country or on any planet.

c۞g

The issue

Post by c۞g » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:04 am

The issue with LegitScript is not just shipping to US residents which does violate US [federal] law, but the fact that what they ship is not necessarily the same product or the same source they offer to resident Canadians. As John informed me a few times, Canadian pharmacies are restricted from shipping out of Canada, so these pharmacies collect orders from US residents then "drop-ship" from other companies located in other countries to those US orders. I think he mentioned that in these forums sonewhere, not sure, would have to search for user LegitScript and review past posts.

This is getting off topic...

BTW, check out ns1.nj-3.org | ns2.nj-3.org
example:
http://www.robtex.com/ip/217.23.1.104.html
http://www.robtex.com/ip/217.23.1.105.html
http://www.robtex.com/ip/217.23.1.106.html

there's a new look for Online Pharmacy worth a screen capture: hxxp://online-pharmacy-store.org/

giedrius

Then again, do they provide

Post by giedrius » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:02 am

Then again, do they provide real, legit service for Canadians? I would say that yes. Would WOT rating be erroneous in Canada then? Probably yes. I am not saying that they are the best, or one should use them. Just that here is no single correct rating for them.

tluke

this WOT is not what I EXPECTED

Post by tluke » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:46 pm

downloading add-on software i was hoping the light rating system would be integrated with my search engine and give instant ratings as i surfed the various web sites and put me on alert to these bogus/scam pharmacy companies, Oh well, if you could do THAT- it would make this invaluable as it is I am afraid the service is too tedious and laborious to really catch on.

BEST OF LUCK IN THE FUTURE.