Hashtags

the_f18hornet

RE: Hashtags

Post by the_f18hornet » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:54 am

Now everyone is going to abuse them.
MyWot, you made serious business into a joke.
#selfiesunday
#selfieswaglol
#mywotwhywhywhydoyoudothistome
To Protest against this, my signature is changed, you can see it below

donsorg

Post by donsorg » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:04 am

<quote user="notbuyingit">
Here are the currently available Russian hashtags along with their translations by Google and Yandex. I only understand what MLM and pyramid mean. Please, would someone provide clearer translations?
[/quote]

#дорвей - doorway
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doorway_page

#смсподписка - smspodpiska (SMS subscription?)
Yes, it means "unexpected" subscription to a mobile info service. Usually, scammers try to get a user to enter her phone number and then confirm the subscription by entering verification code from received SMS, misleading the user by a message "please prove that you are not a bot by entering verification code".

#ссылкопомойка - ssylkopomoyka (link scrapyard?)
That means Link farm: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_farm
Though in russian we tend to use words "trash", "garbage", "rubbish" and similar by the meaning.

donsorg

Post by donsorg » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:07 am

<quote user="c۞g">
Curious concerning the #hashtag search facility, can more than 1 #hashtag be included in a comment?
If so, should their be a space between them or is it OK to blend them?
#hash1 #hash2 | #hash1#hash2
[/quote]

Hashtags will be only recognised if there is a space or new line before. One should not blend them. In the sequence "#hash1#hash2" only first tag is valid.

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:16 pm

I'm not entirely sure I see the value in them to be perfectly frank (bad enough seeing them on social networks, at least with one of them it's due to the character limitation). I'd much rather user comments on scorecards contain the actual descriptive reason rather than just a hashtag, as this is easier for the general user.

evilfantasy

Post by evilfantasy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:39 pm

I agree with MysteryFCM but also have had another concern. I was waiting to see if it would happen and it didn't take long.

This comment/quote is just the tip of the iceberg.
<quote user="the new kid">Even endorsed by big name talk show hosts. #murica[/quote]

#murica - While I get that murica is often used light heartedly it also does not describe me as an American. There are plenty other examples. Hashtags will create abuse. Plain and simple. Hashtags are heavily driven by the use of slang words. Slang can be very offensive.

I say if WOT feels the need to come up with something new for descriptions then please find a way to help members stick to the facts and not push us ANY closer to an opinion based system. Hashtags are mostly internet slang words and therefore not factual but fiction. We don't need fiction. You need to look in the internets Urban Dictionary to find out what internet slang means, not the Oxford Dictionary. IMHO we are leaning much too close to an opinion based WOT already. Facts have taken the back seat.

In the words of Sgt. Joe Friday. Just the facts, ma'am.

OctoberInTheChair

Post by OctoberInTheChair » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:12 pm

<quote user="mysteryfcm">
I'd much rather user comments on scorecards contain the actual descriptive reason rather than just a hashtag, as this is easier for the general user.
[/quote]
Agreed. I don't use Twitter and I'm not sure what this is all about...am I supposed to summarize my comments to #somethingrealshortbutmeansalotifyoukeepalistofdefinitionshandy or something now? (I don't know if that is even proper usage...)

@EF Oh man I agree. What's next, #crazy for religious sites, #Satanist on atheist sites - I mean, we all know those kinds of tags would be created by misinformed/confused people! Now add the people who are just out to be trolls and mix with the vast variety of sites on the internet...the horrible possibilities for nastiness are endless.

I'm gonna pass on the pound sign. [strike]# # #[/strike]

donsorg

Post by donsorg » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:50 pm

The difference between Twitter / FB and WOT that WOT is able to give a weight for any content the user is putting into it. That means WOT can to filter out tags from users who have not enough reputation. Same way it is done with categories.

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:48 pm

<quote user="donsorg">
The difference between Twitter / FB and WOT that WOT is able to give a weight for any content the user is putting into it. That means WOT can to filter out tags from users who have not enough reputation. Same way it is done with categories.
[/quote]

This still doesn't detract from the fact they're just hashtags and not real information. The average user doesn't want to have to click to another page to see what the hashtag actually means, they want the information on that page to say why x is y.

donsorg

Post by donsorg » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:38 am

<quote user="mysteryfcm">
The average user doesn't want to have to click to another page to see what the hashtag actually means, they want the information on that page to say why x is y.
[/quote]

That's true. Current implementation is far from the destination point.

gmurray

Post by gmurray » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:39 am

Maybe there should also be a standard hashtag for sites which do not let you leave them - eg by blocking the action of the 'back' button so that you cannot get back to the page containing the link to the offending site.