Hashtags

c۞g

RE: Hashtags

Post by c۞g » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:04 pm

<quote user="donsorg">
That's true. Current implementation is far from the destination point.
[/quote]
Curious, what is the "destination point"?

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:28 pm

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:28 am

Hashtags allow a standard way to designate keywords which users may sometimes wish to declare. Supported scorecard hashtags provide users with a convenient way to add hyperlinks to the definitions of keywords pertaining to their comments. I can't predict their popularity or their full potential.

For example, I used my stock phrase "spam stooge site" frequently for several months. (I must have liked a lot of alliteration.) I think that the hashtag #gateway in such comments would have provided clarity and so would have been useful to me and the reader.

Users who regret the loss of some "obsolete" scorecard categories should be delighted with c۞g's suggestion:
<quote user="c۞g">
Positive comment reviews
#Useful - for sites offering user interaction; ex: archive.org | wikipedia.org
#Informative - for sites having good reference towards one or more subjects; ex: thesaurus.com
#Entertaining - sites providing amusement or enjoyment; ex: laurel-and-hardy.net WOT
#HappyCustomer - sites which you have experienced a good customer experience; ex: paywithisis.com

[/quote] Well, the last hashtag reminds me of a Chinese restaurant menu 井happyfamily

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:39 am

<quote user="notbuyingit"> Well, the last hashtag reminds me of a Chinese restaurant menu 井happyfamily[/quote]
I stole it from DreamHost, A happy DreamHost customer
I thought it was simpler to write than #GoodCustomerExperience, although that is listed here as well.

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:12 am

<quote user="notbuyingit">
Hashtags allow a standard way to designate keywords which users may sometimes wish to declare. Supported scorecard hashtags provide users with a convenient way to add hyperlinks to the definitions of keywords pertaining to their comments. I can't predict their popularity or their full potential.

For example, I used my stock phrase "spam stooge site" frequently for several months. (I must have liked a lot of alliteration.) I think that the hashtag #gateway in such comments would have provided clarity and so would have been useful to me and the reader.

Users who regret the loss of some "obsolete" scorecard categories should be delighted with c۞g's suggestion:
Well, the last hashtag reminds me of a Chinese restaurant menu 井happyfamily
[/quote]

Whilst they may make sense to us, that's not the case for users. "#gateway" for example, gateway to what?

These hashtags don't seem to provide anything that the current categories don't already offer. All it would take is to have it auto-detect certain words and linkify them and voila, you've got the same thing but without the silly hash character.

Perhaps it's just my age, but I find the use of hashtags (not just here) childish.

OctoberInTheChair

Post by OctoberInTheChair » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:02 pm

<quote user="mysteryfcm">
Whilst they may make sense to us, that's not the case for users. "#gateway" for example, gateway to what?
[/quote]
I keep thinking about how confused and sometimes upset people get when we who work in hospice accidentally let slip a non-layman's term. To have a bunch of confusing terms preceded by the ridiculous # sign does nothing but make Wot difficult for people who don't have the specialized knowledge (nor the time to learn it) that some of our best users have.

It may also make some users feel "behind the times" (or even stupid) and drop Wot for something more simple like Kaspersky URL advisor.

I also think using hashtags makes Wot look more like some sort of social network thing. What's next: downvoting posts made to the forums? Collecting "Likes" that display below one's activity score?

Wot needs to both look professional enough to be trusted yet accessible enough that the average person can understand it.

This # thing is a ridiculously bad idea IMHO.

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:41 pm

<quote user="mysteryfcm">childish[/quote]<quote user="octoberinthechair">ridiculously bad[/quote] Furthermore, it's plain embarrassing to have to ask one's children to explain trending tweets to you. (Those smug ankle-biters.)

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:35 pm

<quote user="octoberinthechair">
Wot needs to both look professional enough to be trusted yet accessible enough that the average person can understand it.
[/quote]

^ This.

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:44 pm

<quote user="mysteryfcm">These hashtags don't seem to provide anything that the current categories don't already offer.[/quote]
I feel they can expand upon the current selection of rating tags.
Many [green]positive[/green] comment selections were removed in WOT 2.0
Only 4 rating categories exist, each with a limited selection of rating tags.
Example: this comment category / rating tag no longer exists: #adware

It's been awhile since I've researched malware sites, but if I recall hashtags have been used in VirusTotal user comments for quite sometime.

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:14 pm

But again, the hash tags just seem to go to a search, they don't say what they actually are, which negates any usefulness they could've provided, and doesn't help Joe Average understand what they're actually meanings are.

The same could be done by simply picking up on certain words and likifying them to the same thing, be it adware or anything else.

VTC does indeed use hashtags, but you'll notice (not with all of course) that those using them, do also provide details of what they are, negating the hashtag. e.g.;

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/b64a ... /analysis/

Without the details, the hashtags are useless.