Hashtags

NotBuyingIt

OT: professional looking

Post by NotBuyingIt » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:08 pm

<quote user="octoberinthechair">
Wot needs to both look professional enough to be trusted yet accessible enough that the average person can understand it.
[/quote]<quote user="alphacentauri">
^ This.
[/quote]

I doubt that hashtags will in any sense lower the professional look of WOT scorecards wherein variously racist, homophobic, defamatory and paranoiac comments have long been allowed (although technically discouraged).

#octoberinthechairrocks #alphacentauriguiidingstar

c۞g

RE: Hashtags

Post by c۞g » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:33 pm

<quote user="mysteryfcm">Without the details, the hashtags are useless.[/quote]
Agreed.

I've noticed that when creating a comment and starting with the number sign # you'll see a drop-down list to select from.

However these "system enabled hashmarks" are strictly negative.

I feel WOT should not concentrate on just the "bad" sites, people should have the ability to use a #tag for whatever reason, regardless, the rating(s) offered, or the rating categories selected.

To offer a source of hashtag - reasonable description, this wiki article was created: https://www.mywot.com/wiki/Hashtag
To simply place 1 or a few #tags in the comment box without an actual comment, even if links are included, would be irresponsible

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:58 pm

And for my opinion
#stupid idea

OctoberInTheChair

Post by OctoberInTheChair » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:49 pm

<quote user="destinationtruth">
#stupid idea[/quote]^ Absolute Truth :)

donsorg

Post by donsorg » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:43 pm

<quote user="c۞g">
I feel WOT should not concentrate on just the "bad" sites, people should have the ability to use a #tag for whatever reason, regardless, the rating(s) offered, or the rating categories selected.
[/quote]

Exactly. "Bad" tags were introduced first only for the reason that those threats are well known here, on the forum. More positive tags describing specific areas and topics will be beneficial for users when WOT will reveal the next product updates.

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:11 pm

Is this does not describe, how idiotic and immature the # "application/function or whatever you want to call, appears " then, nothing will
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57dzaMaouXA
Now if anything good, has come out of this conversation, is the proposal to work on the scorecard
This is what I expected, from beta
@CoG, great idea !
#HappyCustomer | #GoodCustomerExperience
you have favorable experience with the goods and/or services supplied by the site.
see also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Customer_experience
#recommend
you would share the site with others such as family, friends, or co-workers.
https://www.mywot.com/wiki/Hashtag
Maybe
How suitable is the website for children?
Could be adapted to a simple comment yes [full green] no [full red] instead of the rating scale, we have now for the safety of minors
Which that reminds me that Bobjam came out with the idea for @ before the username to make sense during the conversations, I wonder how much we owe him, in royalties :)

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:20 pm

@timberners_lee may be an exemplary Twitter account from which to learn how to properly wield the hashtag.

Just saying.

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:41 pm

<quote user="notbuyingit">
@timberners_lee may be an exemplary Twitter account from which to learn how to properly wield the hashtag.

Just saying.
[/quote]
We need his influence badly!
Thanks for sharing :)

Laidi

Post by Laidi » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:55 am

<quote user="notbuyingit">

Just saying.
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing, but why do you think that Tim Berners Lee consists such a great example? He uses a lot of hashtags which sometimes also don't have a vocabulary explanation but they are sentences, such as #anyonegotacopy or #waytogoDanny.
He also makes use of "trending" words such as #fail.

I don't disagree that he makes a good use of hashtags in general, which are descriptive. But a lot of people out there make good use of hashtags. We should try to get inspiration of them and not just focus only on the negative associations their social use might bring to some.

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:59 pm

<quote user="laidi">
Thanks for sharing, but why do you think that Tim Berners Lee consists such a great example? He uses a lot of hashtags which sometimes also don't have a vocabulary explanation but they are sentences, such as #anyonegotacopy or #waytogoDanny.
He also makes use of "trending" words such as #fail.

I don't disagree that he makes a good use of hashtags in general, which are descriptive. But a lot of people out there make good use of hashtags. We should try to get inspiration of them and not just focus only on the negative associations their social use might bring to some.
[/quote]

It had never occurred to me that Sir Tim's Twitter account is somehow connected with any "negative associations their [hashtags] social use might bring to some." Rather, after reading the concerns expressed that hashtags are "unprofessional", a "stupid idea" etc., I was looking for relevant examples of professionals who are celebrated for their wisdom. I intended my recommendation, in fact, for general purposes (not specific to WOT scorecard comments) because I think that I've learned a lot from him about the web. Of course, I can see that other people may have a different attitude.

And that's about all I have to share.