RE: Hashtags

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:26 pm

@NotBuyingIt =

No matter how much I dislike the hash tag idea

Sir. Tim Berners-Lee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee

I admire him greatly, in particular for this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_Neutrality

I use Comcast, and they have slowdown on purpose the bandwidth, among other things, while I havw been paying premium for their [ monopolized ] speed

Just in that alone, he is morally a giant, without forgetting that he invented the World Wide Web, in my opinion, makes him a giant, when it comes to engineering
I have not idea as to why, the Nobel prize have not been awarded to him, which I believed that he has won, until now
He is next to, Albert Einstein and Sir Newton, my favorite scientist
Cheers !

Sorry, for the off topic post

Laidi

Post by Laidi » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:14 am

<quote user="notbuyingit">
It had never occurred to me that Sir Tim's Twitter account is somehow connected with any "negative associations their [hashtags] social use might bring to some." Rather, after reading the concerns expressed that hashtags are "unprofessional", a "stupid idea" etc., I was looking for relevant examples of professionals who are celebrated for their wisdom. I intended my recommendation, in fact, for general purposes (not specific to WOT scorecard comments) because I think that I've learned a lot from him about the web. Of course, I can see that other people may have a different attitude.

And that's about all I have to share.
[/quote]

Sorry, I wasn't referring to you about the negative associations part, but in general. That some people might have negative associations in general of the hashtags because of social media.

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:49 am

[cite]That some people might have negative associations in general of the hashtags because of social media. "[/cite] \

Regarding social media: The WOT statisticians and developers likely have a keen interest in the opportunities for crowdsourcing and data mining in social media. Their critiques would be far more insightful than any opinion I could offer, and they are in a better position to predict the value added by hashtags. I expect that people will include hashtags in their comments on WOT in the typical ways that people use hashtags on Twitter, for better or worse.

If one of the purposes of this thread is to survey the initial community reactions to the new feature, I am aggressively indecisive.

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:22 am

<quote user="laidi">That some people might have negative associations in general of the hashtags because of social media.[/quote]
The WOT service is community-driven while some call it Crowdsourcing, I prefer the term: Social collaboration; ergo WOT it is a form of social media so why not keep up with current trends and incorporate hashtags to enhance user feedback on websites?

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:51 pm

I notice some experimentation on the scorecards with hashtags, as if they may possibly get enhanced to interact with the categories. Good luck with the experiments, Fantozzi.

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:49 am

<quote user="notbuyingit">
I notice some experimentation on the scorecards with hashtags, [snip][/quote]
Precisely why:
  1. quantity of #hashTags should be limited (as is suggested with rating category selection)
  2. a description other than a slew of hashtags should be made before comment is saved:
    • idea:
      hashatgs should not be counted as part of the 30 character minimum descriptive text.

OctoberInTheChair

Post by OctoberInTheChair » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:55 am

<quote user="c۞g"
  • idea:
    hashatgs should not be counted as part of the 30 character minimum descriptive text.
[/list]
[/quote]
This is an excellent idea Imho. People who find the hashtags useful can use them, but those of us who don't would still have a description that we could understand without having to guess, search the net, or resort to asking our children what certain hashtags mean/imply. Guessing is problematic, searching takes time, and as NotBuyingIt previously mentioned, the ankle-biters can be quite smug in these situations :)

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:23 pm

In my opinion, pound, hashtag,numeral use, screams to the world that WOT capitulated to a fad from the social media that most of us, do not consider to be safe, when it comes to privacy, among other things
If the idea is to be part of the "in" fashion, when it comes to communication, then you got it, but whenever I am driving and I have to avoid another idiot that, is texting and walking at the same time, in the middle of the road or worse when they are driving and texting or even taking a "selfie" in a running vehicle

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -road.html

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/ ... e-3268870I
I realize that WOT using a hash tag, is coming across as a desperate player in the race to be the next Istagram or Pinterest, searching for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, which in this case it would be, advertisement revenues

Do we need to promote it, by implying that will have to ask our children to explain a "trending tweet" and that should be embarrassing?

I believe the opposite is the truth, is embarrassing and dishonest, to "surrender" to fads that we have discounted as untrustworthy in the net and now dangerous, in the real life and we are promoting at WOT

The World Wide Web, will keep on growing and so should WOT

Do not forget that once, when we were kids, we brought the economy to its knees

Because our elders believed that we knew better

[cite]"But did the kids [the often young dotcom entrepreneurs] dupe the establishment by drawing them into fake companies, or did the establishment dupe the kids by introducing them to Mammon and charging a commission on it?"[/cite]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-com_bubble

I believe and hope that today's kids, would be professionals and so should WOT

Hopefully by them, they would realize that privacy issues via hashtags,could be a major problem , in particular in a social media that does not use it at this moment

[cite]Including hashtags could be a huge security concern due to the wide array of ages and locations of users who may be searching or tagging the same content. Facebook displays the full names of users but allows users to choose what content is viewable by strangers. Facebook does not carry the same purpose to self-promote in the same manner that many bands and companies and individuals did with similar sites.[/cite]

http://guardianlv.com/2013/05/hashtags- ... r-facebook

Your choice, I made mine a long time ago

donsorg

Post by donsorg » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:08 pm

Hi,

we are ready to introduce a new section of WOT called WOT Groups Beta through which people can communicate and coordinate the use of tags. Some of the tags are "promoted" to be the starting point of a "group page" under which we collect information, for example, about all linked tags, most tagged domain names, popularity and most active taggers. We have also implemented basic social features such as following people/tags as well as a simple chat discussion board.

In order to be able to contribute hashtags and to participate to the discussion, you need to have a WOT account and also specifically join WOT Groups Beta. The group pages, however, will be visible to everyone.

Please note, that this new feature lives on beta.mywot.com.

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:10 pm

<quote user="donsorg">we are ready to introduce a new section of WOT called WOT Groups Beta through which people can communicate and coordinate the use of tags. [/quote]\
&nbsp;
I notice that the WOT staff members are engaged in the beta groups. Are they moderators? They have my best wishes.