How do I protect myself against pop-under ads on Mediafire?

IMMeen

How do I protect myself against pop-under ads on Mediafire?

Post by IMMeen » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:45 pm

Mediafire has pop-under driveby ads when you download.
I'm curious if we could get links to block or ways to prevent this, since they're annoying and I don't use anti-viruses/linux.

Site-rater

RE: How do I protect myself against pop-under ads on Mediafire?

Post by Site-rater » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:24 pm

Check your system for malware first. If it is clean, then time to rate down Mediafire accordingly for bad advertising.

IMMeen

Post by IMMeen » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:50 pm

<quote user="site-rater">
Check your system for malware first. If it is clean, then time to rate down Mediafire accordingly for bad advertising.
[/quote]
Although my system probably doesn't have malware because I click away real fast, the ads are still sketchy and may contain hidden malware. Anti-Viruses are too much work for me, and the fact they have pop-unders, malicious or not, makes me not trust them anymore. Mediafire redirects to dangerous sites anyways, whether malware, scams, etc

hotdoge3

Post by hotdoge3 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:23 am

htxxtp://www.urlvoid.com/scan/mediafire.com/

Safety Reputation 2/27
Domain 1st Registered 2002-08-11 (13 years ago)
Server Location Flag (US) United States
htxxtp://www.malware.com.br/
htxxtp://www.scumware.org/search.scumware
Win32/Injector.AXUC trojan
Mal/Phish-A
Date 02-01-2016
Date 18 June 2016 SCUMWARE Alert View more details...

Best to stay a way get a new download site some firefox addons may help but you still get google pop ads you can get a free Anti-Virus scaner. so you don't send it in you email virus not good.

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:17 am

I agree,

Update your anti-virus definitions and run a full scan to check for malware. If none is found, give the site an unsatisfactory or negative rating on WOT. Lastly, do you use a pop-up blocker? I have used Ad Block Plus for years and it stops about 99% of the ads. If an ad blocker does not work, rate down the site.

Satch

hulwiabd

Post by hulwiabd » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:49 pm

Try something like Ad Block Plus? If that doesn't work, maybe Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:58 am

[green] Running an [/green][yellow]AV[/yellow][green] is attempting to stuff the genie back into the bottle.

It would be far better to stop it in the first place with tools such as NoScript. Run it correctly and there won't be any [/green][yellow]AVs[/yellow][green] infections to scan for.

It sounds like heresy- but the real battle is on the internet for almost all users. Win that battle and you will have zero infections- and not need a [/green][yellow]AV[/yellow][green]. [/green]

hotdoge3

Post by hotdoge3 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:08 am

NoScript is good but Mediafire not like it why you get the popup

For FireFox and Chrome, there is a plugin called BehindTheOverlay which may give you what you want (similar to AdBlocker but for overlay). Chrome also has an extra plugin called overlay blocker. It is not perfect for many reasons and as already mentioned, do it at your own risk (as it may stop some sites working as intended).

htxxtps://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/behind_the_overlay/

BehindTheOverlay 0.1.1.1-signed.1-signed No Restart (PS I put it on firefox works ok to kill the popups)

NanoPi

Post by NanoPi » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:13 pm

right-click the download button, open link in new tab.

you might need to block the site from receiving context menu events, and right-clicks

Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:06 pm

[green] There also is one called "[/green]KillJasmin[green]" that I also use in case the main script also adds the pop-unders- but still the direct pop-under killers should be a secondary line of defense. There still are the fundamental questions of just what kind of sites use such things? Are those the kinds of sites to even hang around on in the first place?

In another post I recently said that advanced users tend to run no [/green][yellow]AV[/yellow][green] at all. One big component of that is half of privacy/security is offline- AKA user behavior. One can have all the fanciest schmanciest defenses in the world- and they won't do a lick of good when the user does foolish things. [/green]