How valid is a rating from a member who rates a site every 6 seconds?

Edith Lincoln

How valid is a rating from a member who rates a site every 6 seconds?

Post by Edith Lincoln » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:12 pm

How can you take a rating serious when a member simply writes "Good site", "Informative", 'Good site", Informative site", "Good site for buying pants", every six or ten seconds. What are they rating? How fast they can type?

RE: How valid is a rating from a member who rates a site every 6

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:20 pm

Perhaps their volcabulary and intelligence does not allow for much broader comments ;o)

Dutch Mountain

Post by Dutch Mountain » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:41 pm

<quote user="issviews">
Perhaps their volcabulary and intelligence does not allow for much broader comments ;o)
[/quote]
Or does this have to do with MRT use ?
Note : The O.P. is a silver member.
Nothing wrong with that of course, but he / she is hence unfamiliar with MRT.

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:20 pm

<quote user="dutch mountain">Or does this have to do with MRT use ?[/quote]
you do not need the MRT ...
Paste this URL into a new tab

Code: Select all

https://www.mywot.com/scorecard/
and append a domain name suffix.

https://www.mywot.com/scorecard/mywot.com
Then after a quick rating and inserted/pasted comment
replace the domain name with another from a text file, click "Enter"
repeat.until domain list is exhausted.

Edith Lincoln

Post by Edith Lincoln » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:22 pm

The person that I noticed rating that way was a silver member who recently moved to a gold member. It did not appear that the person had an MRT.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:34 pm

<quote user="edith lincoln">
The person that I noticed rating that way was a silver member who recently moved to a gold member. It did not appear that the person had an MRT.
[/quote]

MRT is only available to Platinum members. Rare exceptions exists where WOT gave this facility before reaching this status. That person you saw probably did what c۞g said.

NotBuyingIt

me too

Post by NotBuyingIt » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:34 pm

How can you take a rating serious when a member simply writes "Good site", "Informative", 'Good site", Informative site", "Good site for buying pants", every six or ten seconds. What are they rating? How fast they can type?
\

During the past few days, I've noticed a member who joined at the beginning of the year and who currently has a Gold activity level doing something like that. For all that I know, the comments could be fairly accurate although (I agree) uninformative. My guess is that after the member achieves Platinum status, the number of those stereotypically terse comments will diminish. Another member who also currently has a Gold activity level is posting numerous identical comments: "Site blacklisted". That sort of comment, which could be fairly accurate, tends to drive several of the old hands into frensied indignation.

I've been told that when the WOT system estimates the quality of a user's rating, it completely ignores the quality of any corresponding comment.

Edith Lincoln

Post by Edith Lincoln » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:24 pm

<quote user="c۞g">
you do not need the MRT ...
Paste this URL into a new tab

https://www.mywot.com/scorecard/
and append a domain name suffix.

https://www.mywot.com/scorecard/mywot.com
Then after a quick rating and inserted/pasted comment
replace the domain name with another from a text file, click "Enter"
repeat.until domain list is exhausted.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. That is very useful. But it still would not help if a member is giving positive reviews as if they had actually spent time on the site. If the site has a bad reputation from numerous sources that are up to date, I can see that as being useful. But when reading a positive review a person would assume that the reviewer had spent some time there, not several seconds. Or am I missing something?

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:44 pm

Thanks for the info. That is very useful. But it still would not help if a member is giving positive reviews as if they had actually spent time on the site. If the site has a bad reputation from numerous sources that are up to date, I can see that as being useful. But when reading a positive review a person would assume that the reviewer had spent some time there, not several seconds. Or am I missing something?[/quote]

I do not spend time tracking other users and since your topic is not about a particular user (thank you for that) let's use my previous example for a user wanting to comment on local sites. These sites may or may not have earned a reputation, but they are sites a user frequents which are not "main stream"
Examples:
my_local_pharmacy.com
my_local_library.com
my_local_school.com
my_local_scout_troop.com
my_local_ym/wca.com
my_local_grocery_store.com
etc.
etc.
etc.

including other sites one may have saved in their "favorites / bookmarks"
It's not difficult to copy/paste URL's of your saved links, strip them to a simple domain name and then rate the "list" Most people offering a Good site rating will not offer as lengthy of a comment as one for a negative review. Personally, I seldom leave a comment for a site I rate [green]High[/green].

On the flip side...
Consider microworkers spamvertising good comments as part of some agreement.
Generally they have multiple user names registered and though their comments are visible, their ratings hold no weight.

Remember: Comments are not ratings

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:34 pm

But it still would not help if a member is giving positive reviews as if they had actually spent time on the site. If the site has a bad reputation from numerous sources that are up to date, I can see that as being useful. But when reading a positive review a person would assume that the reviewer had spent some time there, not several seconds. Or am I missing something?
[/quote] \

@Edith Lincoln,
Perhaps you are getting the words comment and review improperly conflated? As I previously stated, comments have no bearing upon a site's reputation. An error in your assumption appears to involve exaggerating the significance of scorecard comments. This is a bit perplexing because you've demonstrated enough savvy to recognise when a comment may be superficial or otherwise unhelpful. The circumstance should be entirely obvious: WOT has millions of users. Of those who choose to participate, the effort and talent that they contribute will vary widely, as is typical on very many websites with similar facilities. I don't see why it should matter to you if a few of the millions of WOT users post comments which you don't respect.

BTW, I read some of your recent scorecard comments. They appear terse, to-the-point and witty. However, you cannot expect absolutely everybody else to do as well as you.