i cant rely on WOT to protect me from harmful sites

Meow1964

i cant rely on WOT to protect me from harmful sites

Post by Meow1964 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:54 pm

no ironclad protection from malicious websites..wheather its a good rating or bad rating. i joined wot because support for vista will soon cease by next april. even my anti virus wont protect me. iam in the process of saving to buy a newer pc by late august -oh joy! with that said..nothing is fool proof. i do hope my ratings to sites listed hasnt had any negative effects. i will continue to search websites and give ratings based on my personal observations and investigations and try to help wot community. but there will always be one or two instances where my rating for a website is questionable. but that is to be expected. iam not perfect.

-rawrrr!

destinationtruth

RE: i cant rely on WOT to protect me from harmful sites

Post by destinationtruth » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:06 pm

WoT never claimed to be used instead of an AV.

Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:44 am

<quote user="destinationtruth">
WoT never claimed to be used instead of an AV.
[/quote]

Exactly. And I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but the OP needs to hear some things that (s)he probably wont like:

* You sound overly reliant on WOT for doing things that it can't possibly do.

* You are relying on the eternally overrated and sometimes downright harmful AVs.

* You are running a terrible decades old operating system on a computer that likely is a powered by shoveling coal into it. Now is a good chance to build a desktop and install Windows 7 or even experiment with Linux instead of buying brand name and getting stuck in the rut of being at the mercy of others.

* You haven't learned more about how privacy/security truly works.

The tone of the above text will sound harsh- but I also say this in the spirit of encouragement. You can take the areas in which you are deficient and use this as an opportunity to learn and grow. In tech(much like the rest of life) there is a journey to get to where you want to go.

Good luck!

A440

Post by A440 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:36 am

I might encourage you to try a Linux box unless you *absolutely* must run specific software in Windows.

williKi

Post by williKi » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:05 pm

The WOT browser add-on is a nice tool when used with others to avoid the pitfalls of today's Internet. I myself also use NoScript and Adblock plus with a fully updated Mozilla Firefox. I also advise you to check out Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.

Meow1964

Post by Meow1964 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:23 am

much obliged to your replies guys. @Apollo702 your reply wasnt harsh at all, no worries. i hope to continue to be an active member of wot and learn as i go along.

Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:56 am

Thank you for taking the time to read it and I really do want to see you and everyone else succeed. I myself am now launching a .com that takes tech and makes it work for average people- and not long ago I didn't know how to turn a computer off.

I totally missed the original .com boom as I had better things to do at the time. For a long time I thought that people sitting on the computer were weird when they could be out on the Lost Wages strip. When I got my first PC I initially did not know how to turn it off and used the power button the first couple of times. I had no idea that (at that time) one had to hit "
Start" in order to stop it. Dohhhh!!

The point is everyone has to start somewhere. Nobody gets it all in the first few minutes- but if you hang in there you can get to where you want to go.

Meow1964

Post by Meow1964 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:18 pm

<quote user="apollo702">
Thank you for taking the time to read it and I really do want to see you and everyone else succeed. I myself am now launching a .com that takes tech and makes it work for average people- and not long ago I didn't know how to turn a computer off.

I totally missed the original .com boom as I had better things to do at the time. For a long time I thought that people sitting on the computer were weird when they could be out on the Lost Wages strip. When I got my first PC I initially did not know how to turn it off and used the power button the first couple of times. I had no idea that (at that time) one had to hit "
Start" in order to stop it. Dohhhh!!

The point is everyone has to start somewhere. Nobody gets it all in the first few minutes- but if you hang in there you can get to where you want to go.

[/quote]

salutations to you!

ders

Post by ders » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:20 am

Without punting any OS too hard, why not try a LiveCD of Ubuntu, see if it works for you? I've found it the friendliest for new users to the Linux environment.

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:44 am

I would also suggest using NoScript with your browser. It blocks websites from executing programs like javasript unless you specifically whitelist them. It is much more difficult to get a drive-by download if they can't run javascript, flash, etc. until you authorize it, after you've had a chance to see what the site is about. A lot of danger is in the casual clicking on search engine results and visiting sites you know nothing about, and that can be greatly reduced. If you have the patience to re-authorize each time you visit a trusted website, it also protects you if a trusted site gets compromised.