Is Microsoft Going too Far With the Deceptive Windows 10 Update?

Satchman

Is Microsoft Going too Far With the Deceptive Windows 10 Update?

Post by Satchman » Tue May 31, 2016 7:42 pm

Dear WOT,

Do you think that Microsoft is going too far with the Windows 10 Upgrade. This article seems to say yes. For the most part, I like Windows 10, but clicking the X to close the Window does not mean "cancel" if you get the update. It means your system will update at the designated time:

hxxp://www.computerworld.com/article/3074548/microsoft-windows/microsoft-has-been-conning-windows-users-for-two-months.html?utm_content=bufferf18af&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Source: Computerworld.com

Satch

№3344

RE: Is Microsoft Going too Far With the Forced Windows 10 Update

Post by №3344 » Tue May 31, 2016 11:37 pm

I am a Win 7 home/ultimate user at this moment, and I think it is enough for me to use Win 7. I am a bit tired of clicking "X" every time I went to my computer. It seems that MS are not willing (or do not want) to understand that I am NOT planning to upgrade, even for free.

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Tue May 31, 2016 11:54 pm

Have either of you tried uninstalling the KB3035583 update, then running Windows Update to hide it?

hotdoge3

Post by hotdoge3 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:49 am

hard to stop Never10 and GWX Control Panel stop working mic just go and Delete

htxxtps://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/kb/3080351

The computer or device is serviced through WSUS and has not had update 3035583 applied.

Non-automatic scenarios (No fun way to stop):- free upgrade why is it free ?

№3344

Post by №3344 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:11 am

Oh no!

This is what I see now _http://s33.postimg.org/u7qxjdy3z/win10upgrade.png
The system has planned upgrade at this weekend without informing me in the first place! If not opened the upgrade advisor window by chance, I would not have been aware of this.

@Satchman
Sorry Satch, you have asked me some questions, but I can't reply because your board is closed :-(

Edit (Sun 19 Jun 2016 12:05 AM): live link disabled

№3344

Post by №3344 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:45 am

<quote user="site-rater">
Have either of you tried uninstalling the KB3035583 update, then running Windows Update to hide it?
[/quote]

I am afraid of removing system components (no, not because of lack of experience), because my OS behaves strangely when I use Windows update to manage update settings, it can cause my PC to hang, it downloads updates that have already been installed so it's installing them over and over again, it gives lots of "failed" updates in the update logs... Because of that I have reinstalled my OS several times before getting it to work at least more or less adequately. To be honest I am tired of experiments with system.

BTW: I have used not very fresh edition of Microsoft install DVD...

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:02 pm

<quote user="nick vini">
I am afraid of removing system components (no, not because of lack of experience), because my OS behaves strangely when I use Windows update to manage update settings, it can cause my PC to hang, it downloads updates that have already been installed so it's installing them over and over again, it gives lots of "failed" updates in the update logs... Because of that I have reinstalled my OS several times before getting it to work at least more or less adequately. To be honest I am tired of experiments with system.

BTW: I have used not very fresh edition of Microsoft install DVD...
[/quote]

You may wish to try _https://support.microsoft.com/ru-ru/kb/947821

№3344

Post by №3344 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:16 pm

<quote user="myxt">
You may wish to try _https://support.microsoft.com/ru-ru/kb/947821
[/quote]

Totaly forgot about that one, thanks.
Used DISM successfully on Vista when encountered same issues.

Surprisingly and strangely, major update failure occurs only on Lenovo's and HP's
Using, for example, Acer or iRU for installing OS from that DVD: the system placed there doesn't show any problems with Windows Update...

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:18 am

<quote user="nick vini">
Totaly forgot about that one, thanks.
Used DISM successfully on Vista when encountered same issues.

Surprisingly and strangely, major update failure occurs only on Lenovo's and HP's
Using, for example, Acer or iRU for installing OS from that DVD: the system placed there doesn't show any problems with Windows Update...
[/quote]

I don't know about Lenovo, but HP computers tend to be shipped with an outdated, buggy "HP Support Assistant" intended to be your "go to" for system maintenance - as if the PC owner is to believe that HP brings all good things. Many problems, including Windows Update issues, were resolved by updating HP Support Assistant, and then limiting what it can do. You could simply uninstall it, but it is useful to pick up new compatible drivers.

This was on Windows 8.1. To return to this topic, I have to say that I originally installed Windows 10 on one machine and found it to be quite stable and quick. Most defects were mainly cosmetic - now mostly fixed. Its UI handles like a compromise of W7+8. It handles new and older programs and all my peripherals. I turned off all of the "sharing" apps and I don't use connected Microsoft user accounts or Edge.

I can tip my hat to Windows 7: It is everything that XP and Vista should have been, but in retrospect it is a "plateau": it's the best they could be, and not more. I think Windows 10 is more, so it is now on all of my computers.

It's possible to not install Windows 10. If it were impossible, then I would call it "forced" - and it would be going too far; but economically, I see no reason to retain an OS with a relatively limited lifespan, for which fewer and fewer apps will be developed or even maintained.

We should probably thank our fellow world citizens - those who constantly demand the latest and greatest gadgets, and those who attack them - for the economic and design decisions that drive corporations such as Microsoft.

№3344

Post by №3344 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:29 am

<quote user="myxt">
It's possible to not install Windows 10. If it were impossible, then I would call it "forced" - and it would be going too far; but economically, I see no reason to retain an OS with a relatively limited lifespan, for which fewer and fewer apps will be developed or even maintained.
[/quote]

It's dishonestly intrusive rather than forced. It chooses for the user whether it should be updated and when by default; if you do not use PC for a certain period of time, forgot or having no possibility/time to access computer in order to cancel, or you are not experienced to manage update settings, it will be installed. I think it's not really good.