Is This A Case of Paying for Comments on Reddit and Facebook?

A440

Is This A Case of Paying for Comments on Reddit and Facebook?

Post by A440 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:55 am

I found this article that states that a large PAC that supports Hillary Clinton correctrecord.org is funding a concerted campaign against Facebook and Reddit commentors:
Unlike other independent-expenditure only super PACs, which are prohibited by the Federal Election Commission from coordinating with campaigns or political parties, Correct the Record plans to work closely with the Clinton campaign. That’s because, the group says, it does not plan to spend money to run ads. Instead, the PAC intends to use its website and social media platforms to counter claims made about Clinton.
Which is another way of talking about buying comments or even likes.

factcheck.org/2016/01/correct-the-record/
theverge.com/2016/4/21/11485090/hillary-clinton-super-pac-1-million-online-critics

Should we be rating correctrecord.org for essentially buying influence on social platforms?

Retarded Joker

RE: Is This A Case of Paying for Comments on Reddit and Facebook

Post by Retarded Joker » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:38 am

I don't think I got it right. They are investing money, so does that actually mean 'buying influence'? I assume they are spending the amount for the workforce.
... respond "quickly and forcefully to negative attacks and false narratives found online," in addition to thanking major supporters and "committed superdelegates" directly.
Hillary Clinton's supporters appear to be quieter ... that they [the supporters] were often afraid to speak up about their choice because they fear harassment.
The task force says it will attempt to sway the internet's legion of Sanders supporters to Hillary's side as the election draws closer.
It is just campaigning via social media, and they claim that they are trying to counter the negatives. Unless they use the power to start spreading false information (which we won't know) or start turning their so-called 'counter arguments' into hate speech, we can't rate the website for any negative reason. A warning comment can be left in the scorecard.
The thing is, we've never seen much of campaigning on the Social Media. The supporters are smart enough to take it to the Internet, and start getting more closer to the public. Let's not forget that even Sanders has invested money in the Social Media campaigning.
I assume we wait until one of the WOT members finds few of the 'workforce members' posting hate speech, to actually rate the website negatively. And I guess, if we rate the website negatively, they will be creating fake accounts to post on the scorecard. :D Because, it is a part of 'countering negatives', you know.

A440

Post by A440 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:41 am

My take on this is this is no better than a private 50-cent American online army, which is attempting to flood discussion boards or comment sections with commentary designed to manipulate discussions in a desired direction.
This is not a good thing, IMHO and I am rating as such.

A440

Post by A440 » Wed May 11, 2016 1:50 am

latimes.com/politics/la-na-clinton-digital-trolling-20160506-snap-htmlstory.html