Jumio.com – A Potentially Very Serious Privacy Issue

A440

Jumio.com – A Potentially Very Serious Privacy Issue

Post by A440 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:16 am

I discovered today that when I last used Airbnb, they demanded a photo of my passport.
It turns out that this part of Airbnb's operation is handled by jumio.com, a third party.
Looking further I found:umio may use the Personally-Identifying Information a user submits for any purposes related to Jumio's business, including, but not limited to providing you with Jumio's services and personalizing and improving those services for you.Which means this company, unbeknownst to me, has my address, email, and my credit card number and they also have my photograph, passport number and signature.

This is a serious privacy and security issue simply because what if Jumio is hacked?

IMHO, this is a grave problem since they have, on record, what a state-sponsored security agency could get access to, minus a police record.

Airbnb.com and Jumio.com should be rated according due to this security risk.

williKi

RE: Jumio.com – A Potentially Very Serious Privacy Issue

Post by williKi » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:28 am

Well, top notch SSL

hxxps://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=jumio.com

A440

Post by A440 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:35 am

Well, top notch SSL
Knowing, what little I know, I am not comforted by their secure SSL setup.
This does not prevent other possibilities such as an inside hack amongst other possibilities (The Ashley Madison hack was an inside job too.
They should not have my information yet they do.

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:09 am

Google> Jumio.com hack -site:Jumio.com
Google> Jumio.com fail -site:Jumio.com

2016/03/21 _https://techcrunch.com/2016/03/21/identity-verification-startup-jumio-files-for-bankruptcy-will-sell-assets-to-early-backer-eduardo-saverin/

Since you are one of the assets, you may wish to find out what Jumio's PP says will happen to your PII when transferred, and what options it offers to remove your data.

liquid_dragon

Post by liquid_dragon » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:52 pm

Guess I'll never use Airbnb because I'm not giving anyone a photo of my passport. They have no reason to need it.
Working to stop malware, viruses, and Internet fraud one web site at a time.

williKi

Post by williKi » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:55 pm

Photo of your passport, seriously? What I notice is I either have to log in with Facebook or Gmail details, no thanks.

Grod1

Post by Grod1 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:41 pm

Similar scenario from a low-tech perspective: I just traveled abroad and the hotel desk asked to copy my passport. I have no idea what they did with the copy or how they securely store it afterward. However, I'll wager that Airbnb and Jumio have better security than the hotel I stayed at. Bottom line, if a state sponsor wants to get my information they're going to, and there's not a whole lot I can do about it :(
WOT's the time?

A440

Post by A440 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:44 am

Similar scenario from a low-tech perspective: I just traveled abroad and the hotel desk asked to copy my passport. I have no idea what they did with the copy or how they securely store it afterward.
True enough. We have no way of knowing what happened to the hard copy of that, however jumio has my passport photo stored digitally, thus my concerns about a hack of my personal information.

A440

Post by A440 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:34 am

I requested information about what happens to my information if I were to cancel my account and I have received no reply after several weeks. This is inexcusable.

I just deleted my account with airbnb

luntrus

Post by luntrus » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:52 pm

For the SSL certificate strength, there is a weakness in the GoDaddy DMV certificate:
Warnings
Root installed on the server.
For best practices, remove the self-signed root from the server.

luntrus
Use NoScript and RequestPolicy and a VM and be safer,

luntrus