My new website is being blocked by TIME Inc filters.

geolitz

My new website is being blocked by TIME Inc filters.

Post by geolitz » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:30 pm

Hello Everybody,

I've just published and verified my first website [george-litz.com] and I don't really know how to get other users to mark my site as safe.

I am a Magician who is hired by corporations to entertain at corporate events.
I asked my friend who works at TIME Inc to look at my website and when he did it was blocked by TIME Inc's filters.

I cannot get corporations to hire me if their browser claims my site is Risky and will not display the centerpiece of my online presence.
Some guidance here would be appreciated.

Thank You,
George Litz

NotBuyingIt

Re: My new website is being blocked ...

Post by NotBuyingIt » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:12 pm

A few obvious points:

Some companies have policies that restrict their employees' internet access to company business. The situation is certainly not unique to Time, Inc., but the staff of Time who might ordinarily have a reason to access your site may already have permission or alternative methods. You probably need to contact a company's system administrator (sysadmin) to request that your website be removed from the company's blocked-list (or filters). The sysadmin might even agree to identify any source that was used to place your site on the blocked-list. Contact information for the appropriate sysadmin should customarily be available on the company's domain whois or the company's website. (Increasingly, such data have been removed due to arrogance, fear or incompetence.) You may well encounter extra difficulty should Time be undergoing major management changes.

Time's staffers probably have no business interest in the vast majority of internet domains, so i can understand why the company's sysadmin might not have any time to discuss your issue.

Myxt

Re: My new website is being blocked by TIME Inc filters.

Post by Myxt » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:58 am

geolitz wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:30 pm
george-litz.com
I asked my friend who works at TIME Inc to look at my website and when he did it was blocked by TIME Inc's filters.
I cannot get corporations to hire me if their browser claims my site is Risky and will not display the centerpiece of my online presence.
Deep breath, please. Exhale slowly. OK. I can see your site just fine, depending on how I approach. More on that later.

Remember exactly what your friend at TIME said to you ... Got it? Well then, did he actually use the word "blocked", and does he know what that means? One sensible answer: "There was a big red STOP sign saying DANGER - KEEP OUT!" Another answer might be: "I got nothing but a blank page - or a page that said '404 blah, blah (and you need to update your browser, etc)'.

If your friend got the STOP sign, that means one person, using one browser (with whatever extensions and configuration), within one internal network, within one company (as elucidated by user NotBuyingIt, above) concluded that your site is risky. But if he didn't get the STOP sign, then "risky" is merely your own stage-fright, a.k.a. assumption.

Personally, I don't just go look at new things on the Internet on a whim. First I check a new site with security vendors like VirusTotal and Sucuri. Then if the site is reported "clean" (your site is "clean"), I load it in a browser that is heavily armored - it blocks automagical slights-of-hand that happen behind-the-scene in web pages. Lo, and behold: it loaded your site as a blank page - the reason being that it's a WIX site:
_https://bgp.he.net/dns/george-litz.com#_dns

This leads me to believe that your friend did not get the STOP sign, but instead assumed that TIME's "filters" (whatever) had "blocked" your site. We could stop right here, where I recommend that you set up your site in some venue other than WIX; but you, being a magician, would feel cheated from knowing at least some of the mechanics.

First, WIX isn't bad; it's just very weird. Like some quantum-mechanical beast, WIX coalesces your site, from the ethers of database entries into actual code (franken-code), at the moment that a prospective visitor requests a viewing. In its dormant database state, any client-side (the stuff users use) software that tries to read (let alone analyze) the files that would normally comprise a web site will find nothing unless said software runs JavaScript. WIX uses JavaScript to transform the virtual reality of your database entries into the apparently real web page seen by your site's visitors.

My biggest complaint about WIX is that, if JavaScript is disabled in the visitor's browser, WIX often pretends that a valid web address (e.g., george-litz.com) is "404" ("not found") and falsely informs such a visitor that his browser is obsolete and should be updated via third-party site BrowseHappy.com
(reference _https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browse_Happy)

If, at any step in your friend's journey from his keyboard to your site, some software attempted to analyze, sans JavaScript, the safety of your site, the result could be negative. However, in my "normal" browser with JavaScript enabled, your site raises zero alarms, as I suspect would be the case for most visitors (just not your friend, at his place of work). ~100 security vendors agree.

Your ad copy could use some ... refinement.