NET free stuff is orange and red unsafe

smiler32

Post by smiler32 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:45 pm

hi

I was surprised to notice that net free stuff has a bad rating on he internet i thought it was pretty safe to use. Glad wot ratings are here. What do others think of freebie sites such as this? are there any others that are unsafe

wehaveitall

When you say freebie

Post by wehaveitall » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:19 am

When you say freebie what exactly do you mean? If you mean sites that are claim to be free and offer things that seem impossible, then it usually is either a virus or it isnt nearly as good as you thought. Affiliate programs for example, that say they give out 50-100 dollars per user are almost never as good as they sound, and many are scams. Conduit toolbar has an unsatisfactory rating from wot. They claim to give you lots of money based on the number of users who visit your toolbar. I used to use it, and though I never had problems with spyware, I did notice that I was able to get NO cash after all my hard work of increasing its popularity. Obviously it can go up, it just isn't easy at all. And, to claim the money, I found out you had to earn at least 100 dollars. I also found out conduit was banned by the firefox add-on site for some minor security breaches. However, I don't find a problem with it for simply making a toolbar for fun or to promote your website.
Major unsafe "freebie" industries include sites such as (DO NOT VISIT THE FOLLOWING SITES) smileycentral, cursormania, and zwinky. These sites containing seeingly user friendly things such as smiley faces or cursors use these as a disguise to hide the real dangers about them. Smiley central claims to have hundreds of smiley faces to get, and claims to give you the ability to change your cursor, insert smiley faces into emails, make your own smileys, etc. in addition to that they have very heavy advertising. When I downloaded smiley central years ago before I had wot, I found all this to be true. However, smiley central is not as seemingly harmless as it sounds. After having it for less than three days, I already had lost the password to all parts of my website: My website email, control panel, etc. After thinking about it, I realized why that's all they had stolen at that point before I had a chance to uninstall it and run virus scans constantly: I pay for my website, and they may even be able to charge us if they do it right, as you must pay with your credit card to use Godaddy (or at least that's how I paid) Then it hit me, they have so much advertising on top of so many smiley faces, cursors, and other features when I had not even heard of it before (I found it searching on google) because they steal all the money put toward it. And even with not the most popular site aroud, when stealing credit card information, they can get a lot of money, and access to other people's personal things. Luckily I was able to call godaddy and get my site back, but had I not acted quickly, major changes could have happened to my website, computer, and money. This is partly why the hacking business is such a popular one, and why so many sites are dangerous. That's why wot is here to help.
That's not all, sites like myspace that allow full html code in comments can be malicious just as easily, on your own profile without you even knowing. With just some html, they can insert small viruses designed to help direct you toward dangerous sites by adding unwanted links and such to your browser, possibly leading to much more major viruses. On rare occasions, the html itself can cause slightly worse viruses. This is why you should never ever visit a site you haven't been to unless you have the wot options set to block dangerous sites or you've checked the demo to be sure the site is safe.
Now the chances of anything major happening when you havent downloaded anything are little to nothing, but small viruses can as mentioned before lead to bigger ones when used correctly.
If wot does not have a rating for a new and not well known site, if you really do want to visit it, try some of these tips:
Search the site title on google and yahoo. If it doesn't come up on Yahoo at least, it's reccomended you don't visit since it as this can mean many things. Yahoo has much fewer dangerous sites than google not counting their sponsored results. For example, even if you type in smiley central, you won't find a link to it except in the sponsored results. The only way to find it is to type in the full address. Also, it may be banned for other reasons which are often dangerous such as submitting the site hundreds of times in several days.
If it is in yahoo, read the description, and type in (Site Title) problems. For example, if it was smiley central it would be: Smiley central problems. Sites such as pchell in this case WILL come up telling you that it's dangerous. If nothing at all about the site except the site comes up from this, the next step is to open the page. If there are lots of flashy ads (especially ones linking to sites you know are dangerous) or popup ads, (a popup for something like a newsletter or a page doesn't mean it's dangerous) leave the site. If the site is based only on something that is often used as a disguise such as smiley faces, cursors, or toolbars, then proceed with caution. If the site is ONLY about downloading one of these three things, don't visit it again, until you've checked to be sure it's safe on the wot forum.

Im working on a mathmatical system allowing you to help determine whether a site is safe or not, and it will be done fairly soon.

Jared Gray

Stuff I Use....

Post by Jared Gray » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:06 pm

Heres some programs I use to help with security...

http://www.mywot.com/en/forum/90

Firefox Extensions

http://www.mywot.com/en/forum/93

Maybe you can find something of use.. Some of the really bad sites I know of are already taken care of for me via my "hosts" file which is auto updated (MVPS list) using Hostsman ...

AnonymousSpecial

Basically, you want to steer

Post by AnonymousSpecial » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:23 pm

Basically, you want to steer clear from all freebie sites. All that they do is make false claims, sell your information to other companies and never deliver. I have tried several and now my postal mailbox also gets filled with junk mail from people like Capital One credit cards.

Draygoes

Now by freebe's, are you

Post by Draygoes » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:18 am

Now by freebe's, are you talking about all free software in general?

Because thats not right and I can prove it.

AnonymousSpecial

Nope I am not talking about

Post by AnonymousSpecial » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:20 pm

Nope I am not talking about free software. I am talking about those sites that claim to give you free iPods and TVs.

I am fully aware of the free software movement, so there is no need to prove it ;)

GRALARRY

Post by GRALARRY » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:43 pm

GRALARRY
I realize you are talking about getting free merchandise and not free software sites. However, I am quite sure that there are some sites out there that are still very dangerous. I personally wish there was a place to go where such sites were listed along with there safety profiles. I can't tell you how relieved I would feel to know for a fact that the programs I just downloaded were "clean". Its not that I don't try to keep things clean, reading the legalize to see whats included, etc. Still a more seasoned opinion is still a better way to go. Perhaps somebody out there knows of such and can toss this newbie a bone. It would be most appreciated. I read somewhere that this is possible somehow on this site without having to publicly list ones E-mail address. (Oh, I'm so excited my very first post here!) Just kidding, have a Great Day.

AnonymousSpecial

If you are talking about

Post by AnonymousSpecial » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:03 pm

If you are talking about software, anything like download.com or even better sourceforge.net list software that is spyware free. If you are talking about free iPhone sites etc. I would just steer clear of them all. Nothing tangible can be free really.

tazzie2008

for all you freebie site lovers try this:

Post by tazzie2008 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:23 am

Simply The Best: This site is one of the best freebie site ive pondered across
it will state wether the programme you want to download is good or bad and will advise you on your request.
Not only that when your looking for programmes you want to download
and cant/have pay for then i garantee you this you will find it on this site its got everything from windowsxp service pack 1, windows service pack 2, its got security suites, audio convertors , add and remove tools,audio+video players,trust me its got everything you will ever need even windows vista service pack 1, games miss this then you will miss out!!!!!!!!!!

Just open the web page and start downloading, you dont even have to register cant get better than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
www.vnunet.com

smiler32

freebie sites

Post by smiler32 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:21 pm

freebie sites i meant were ones that you can get free samples from or free beauty products or anything really i have used net free stuff this is why i mentioned it and have got some free things from there sites although this does require signing up to sites as well so yes you can get junk mail as well.