New web site, old crime

swot100

Water = H2 O

Post by swot100 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:09 pm

Its Simple, pass electric current through water to seperate the H2 from the O, use the Hydrogen to run the engine. Try it.

amishrabbit

Just a goddamn minute

Post by amishrabbit » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:59 pm

What the hell is wrong with Morse Code :)

Don't be dissin my code

evilfantasy

Try it?

Post by evilfantasy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:11 pm

Just pass electricity through water? Might be simple but also deadly.

jpvip

man

Post by jpvip » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:49 pm

Talk about a silly product...haha

All sites added to my blacklist and I will be dousing red eventually. :)

~DragonMaster Jay, malware researcher,
Admin, helpmyos.com

c۞g

re: Water

Post by c۞g » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:57 am

[url=http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Water-%28molecule%29 t=_self]Water[/url]
-------
Against Intuition - gives us safety through Web of Trust.
WOT Community - gives us security through unity.
Thank you all
- G7W

amishrabbit

Dihydrogen Oxide

Post by amishrabbit » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:43 pm

I'm addicted to the stuff. I drink several liters a day and have no intention of stopping.

c۞g

DHMO

Post by c۞g » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:51 pm

[url=http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html t=_self]DHMO Facts[/url]
Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is a colorless and odorless chemical compound, also referred to by some as Dihydrogen Oxide, Hydrogen Hydroxide, Hydronium Hydroxide, or simply Hydric acid. Its basis is the highly reactive hydroxyl radical, a species shown to mutate DNA, denature proteins, disrupt cell membranes, and chemically alter critical neurotransmitters. The atomic components of DHMO are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol

:-D
-------
Against Intuition - gives us safety through Web of Trust.
WOT Community - gives us security through unity.
Thank you all
- G7W

phantazm

More than one kind of current...

Post by phantazm » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:39 am

evilfantasy: "Just pass electricity through water?"

There's more than one kind of electricity; it's direct current at work here, not alternating. And you're right, it could be deadly. A mix of Hydrogen and Oxygen is quite explosive (remember [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindenburg_disaster t=_self]Hindenburg[/url]..?) - one spark could be enough to ignite it all, so kids, don't try this at home, or elsewhere...

Cheesetrap

Response to G7w

Post by Cheesetrap » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:19 pm

One of the things you have to keep in mind is that the best scams have SOME kind of truth behind them, at least enough to bamboozle people into believing. They have to play either on an inadequate understanding of the science involved, or a desire that the customer has, some kind of need or want that can serve to cloud their judgement enough to make them vulnerable to manipulation.

These products can play on anything from the need to belong, to exploitation of naturally erroneous modes of thinking, to appeals to 'higher causes' such as helping other people when you actually aren't helping anyone but the proponent of the scam...

For example psychics capitalize on the tendency of most people to be alert to synchronicity, and the confirmation biases which exist in every person (we tend to remember correlating events and forget all the billions of incidences in our day which don't COincide, and subsequently accept causal arguments unscientifically)... So when someone gullible rubs a crystal every day for a week, and wins $10, they credit the crystal for the win, ignoring the fact that every other day of the week they lost $10 playing the same game or something.

Similarly, religious fundamentalists exploit the often counter-intuitive nature of geological timeframes, and poor science education (which they actively try to retard further) in order to peddle their bronze-age mythologies.

Other unscientific beliefs crop up in areas where the truth is uncomfortable or confronting, such as exposing deceit and manipulation by the government in the events surrounding the 9/11 attacks - 6 of the 10 official 9/11 commissioners called for further investigation, and 3 recommended criminal charges be brought against those in the government and military who allowed the attacks to succeed, but that sort of information is suppressed and shouted down by people who want to continue in the false belief that their (sometimes) elected officials can be trusted.

Likewise, people want to believe in easy money (or saving thereof), as these devices play on... All the same, I wouldn't be surprised if the implications in your story are true - I'm sure there are a lot of people who would kill someone when there's hundreds of millions of dollars at stake, just in their own little piece of the company pie. I know I'd be tempted :p

Anyhoo I realize I'm waffling on a lot, I'll shush now ;) My YouTube page is www.youtube.com/Gliktch if anyone wants to access a lot of quality educational lectures and debates etc (not my own uploads, but rather playlists of excellent resources). :)

- Gliktch/Cheesetrap

Compliments

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:13 pm

My compliments for a very interesting post.

Your logic is impeccable.

Are you in the marketing biz? I ask because you seem to have a good handle on what motivates people to do certain things.

Too bad the people in Germany during the 30's didn't realize those things, or the Third Reich would never have happened (I'm reading Shirer's work right now and see the obvious connection).