PayPal may soon ban some browsers

Seattle John

PayPal may soon ban some browsers

Post by Seattle John » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:54 am

PayPal has recently announced that they may soon prohibit users from using their site if you have a non-secure web browser. Most older browsers do not offer phishing protection, or support ExtendedValidation SSL Certificates.
Browsers under consideration for banishment include Firefox vers. 1, InternetExplorer vers. 3 and 4, and ALL Versions of Safari. Most users have newer/better browsers, but some have never upgraded. If you haven't upgraded, what are you waiting for?

Sami

Re: PayPal

Post by Sami » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:35 pm

They released a statement that says Safari won't be banned, nor will current versions of any other browser either. Banning old browsers is not a bad idea though.

connorscomputershow

What I think they should ban

Post by connorscomputershow » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:03 am

They should deny access to:
  1. IE 5.1 and older
  2. Firefox 1.5.4 and older
  3. Netscape 6 and older
  4. Safari; not affected

You know what, I think this is a good move for PayPal.

Seattle John

PayPal and older browsers

Post by Seattle John » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:49 am

Combined, PayPal and eBay were the targets of approx. 75% of phishing attempts several years ago. It has hurt their businesses, and they want to rebuild customer trust. PayPal is concidering the following policy on browsers at their site:

Version N (current) – allow with no messaging.
Version N-1 (previous major version) – allow, but with a warning message.
Version N-2, or older – disallow, with a message indicating why.

The above 3 lines were cut/pasted directly from a PayPal whitepaper on phishing dated April2008.

Seattle John

The irony of it all...

Post by Seattle John » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:08 am

PayPal is wholly owned be eBay. The irony of it is that eBay makes money off of antiques, PayPal looses money on antiques.

Sagebrush

I have the new Paypal plugin

Post by Sagebrush » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:41 am

I have the new Paypal plugin which among other things has a feature to flag unsafe sites. I don't have much confidence in it however. So far, the only unsafe site it has flagged was the Ebay main site!! Ebay of course is the owner of Paypal!!! And yes, it was the legitimate Ebay site and not a spoof site!

connorscomputershow

In response to Sagebrush...

Post by connorscomputershow » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:07 pm

I think PayPal was tricked by the look of a fake eBay. They were probably not paying attention to the address bar.