Planned Changes - Community Update

MyWOT-Team

Planned Changes - Community Update

Post by MyWOT-Team » Mon May 22, 2017 1:20 pm

Hi everyone,

As part of our continuous process of improving WOT and its functionality, we would like to introduce you to some of the changes we’re planning both on the frontend and the backend of our website and extension.

As some of you noticed, the first steps included moving the homepage from the old-fashioned Drupal platform to Wordpress for better performance and customizability.

In addition, here are some highlights of the changes planned:

Forum -
* We’re planning on moving the forum to a new platform soon.

Website -
* Design facelift.
* New scorecard with simplified rating flow.
* Re-organizing the support section

Extension -
* Will be built on a single platform that will support Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera and Edge.
* Reducing the number of bugs significantly.
* Simplified UI (User Interface).
* Smoother and faster performance.

While we’re working on the changes mentioned above, users might experience minor bugs. We appreciate your understanding and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Kind regards,
WOT Team
---
MyWOT Team
Dislike (-0)

Site-rater

RE: Planned Changes - Community Update

Post by Site-rater » Mon May 22, 2017 2:22 pm

Will the new extension be open source?
Will the new site be just as usable on mobile as it is on desktop, or will everything be way too big to fit any content?
Is the IE extension still removed from download despite not being part of the data collection scandal?
Will the ratings themselves still be the same?
Will there be a beta test of these new features?
Will all forum content be preserved, and all existing links preserved?
Will there be any technical protections against external links in the forum, i.e. not automatically parsing URLs?
Dislike (-0)

redblade7

Post by redblade7 » Tue May 23, 2017 3:58 am

Oh no not again. What will disappear or break this time?
"While corporations dominate society and write the laws, each advance in technology is an opening for them to further restrict its users." -Richard M. Stallman
Dislike (-0)

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Tue May 23, 2017 7:18 am

Dear WOT,

For the MS Edge platform, will the ratings circles show up in the Cortona search box for Windows 10?

Satch
Dislike (-0)

Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:45 am

DO NOT break Palemoon support! Firefox is dying and they are phasing out extensions entirely. PM these days is the true Firefox.
Dislike (-0)

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Tue May 23, 2017 8:05 am

DO NOT break Palemoon support! Firefox is dying and they are phasing out extensions entirely. PM these days is the true Firefox.

Dying in what way?

I have heard about Pale Moon.

Satch
Dislike (-0)

Javelina

Post by Javelina » Tue May 23, 2017 9:16 am

Will all scorecard content be preserved?
Website -
* Design facelift.
* New scorecard with simplified rating flow.

In other words, will the "simplified rating flow" remove any of the current scorecard comments? I hope not, as I find that they add value to WOT as a credible Internet safety resource.

I wish it weren't necessary to make changes, as I like WOT the way it is now. If there is a beta tester program, as for past WOT redesign projects, I would like to participate.
Dislike (-0)

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Fri May 26, 2017 11:56 pm

Is WOT still planning on using similarweb/similartech? While it was removed from the main WOT site, the beta.mywot.com site is still linking to this service in the scorecards.
Dislike (-0)

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Sat May 27, 2017 6:28 pm

Is the new mywot.com homepage (which appears to use WordPress per the source code) part of the new update?
Will you merge in the blog with the new homepage? I do notice the homepage is not mobile optimized, but if you use the same skin it will stop destroying the top toolbar on mobile devices, which I would consider a plus.

The forum/scorecard login is not taking effect on the homepage. I have to log in manually there; the add-on is not logging me in either and as such it has a "Logout" link.

Seeing as you appear to be changing from Drupal to WordPress, will all forum topics be preserved, or will this be a casualty of these so-called "improvements?" Maybe consider instead upgrading to the new Drupal 8, and trying to compartmentalize your WOT source code to make it easier to perform later upgrades?

Finally, Tor Browser is indicating that the mywot.com homepage is attempting to read canvas data. Are you attempting to use canvas fingerprinting?
Dislike (-0)

destinationtruth

Post by destinationtruth » Sat May 27, 2017 8:56 pm

I have noticed that you are using DoubleClick's remarketing pixels on the home page. I do believe that you may need to add such to your "Privacy Policy" See: _https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549063?hl=en

Though I will let others here offer their opinion if the current policy sufficiently covers such usage. Again I don't believe that it does.
_https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/no-winner/
Dislike (-0)