Please Test a Feature Of Softmaker's Free Office For Me.

Satchman

Please Test a Feature Of Softmaker's Free Office For Me.

Post by Satchman » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:31 pm

Greetings My WOT,

I am in the process of helping people find alternatives to the approximate $200 cost to own Microsoft Office, or the $100 for life rental fee for an Office 365 subscription. I have heard the fastest and best free alternative to Microsoft Office in terms of compatibility is Softmaker's Free Office. (For opening up Microsoft Office files.)

I need someone who is in to software testing to download the free version of the program here:

hxxp://www.freeoffice.com/en/

And tell me if the free version can print envelopes or not? I know the free version can not print envelopes with Mail Merge, but can it print envelopes at all? Unlike Open Office and Libre Office, there is no Java requirement needed for Free Office from Softmaker.

If you are already running the free version of Softmaker Free Office, you obviously don't need to download it, just tell me if you can print envelopes in the free version and how to do that. This answer may decide if I want to use free office as an alternative to Microsoft Office in the future.

Satch

Site-rater

RE: Please Test a Feature Of Softmaker's Free Office For Me.

Post by Site-rater » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:17 pm

The site appears to have mandatory registration to download; collects e-mail over an insecure connection with no privacy policy.

It may have a Java requirement, just embedded. The screenshots make me believe this is a closed-source fork of OpenOffice, taking advantage of the permissive Apache license.

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:27 pm

<quote user="site-rater">
The site appears to have mandatory registration to download; collects e-mail over an insecure connection with no privacy policy.

It may have a Java requirement, just embedded. The screenshots make me believe this is a closed-source fork of OpenOffice, taking advantage of the permissive Apache license.
[/quote]

Thanks for this information!

Satch

williKi

Post by williKi » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:11 pm

<quote user="site-rater">

[/quote]

Yep, registration page is unsecured. In fact, there appears to be an issue with security throughout the site: hxxps://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=freeoffice.com

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:33 am

<quote user="williki">
Yep, registration page is unsecured. In fact, there appears to be an issue with security throughout the site: hxxps://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=freeoffice.com
[/quote]

This is very helpful to know!
The community responses reflect more weight on the lack of secure encryption with the site, over my original feature request. It looks like I will NOT be recommending this software anymore, until a proper and secure privacy policy is implemented. Has anyone attempted to contact Softmaker about the security issues? Their responses may also help guide customer experiences with the site. I know that they have a community forum, along with other methods of contact here:

hxxp://www.softmaker.com/en/support

Did anyone do virtualization testing of the software itself to find out if envelopes could be printed in the free version? If Softmaker Office is like Microsoft Office legacy versions (97-2003), the Envelopes printing option is probably in the Tools Menu.

Satch

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:47 pm

I really hope Softmaker can get the site safer. Did anyone check to see if the free version can print envelopes or not?

Satch