Privacy Violations in the Forum and the Comments

Armored

RE: Privacy Violations in the Forum and the Comments

Post by Armored » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:26 am

You may want to read [url=http://www.mywot.com/en/forum/15848-posting-whois-info-to-the-wot-forum-against-the-law t=_self]this thread[/url] It's not the first time somebody has complained about something like this. It's not illegal to do it, as far as I know. I personally tend to avoid it, even on scorecards.(there “may” be exceptions).

I agree with g7w's statement in that thread I provided, when he said:
As far as copy-n-paste an entire whois, many times it creates long [boring] replies, a simple link is all that's needs I agree with this principle when it comes to posting on scorecards as well. Maybe you can PM Intratrust and mention to him how it makes you feel.

mblob

Post by mblob » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:39 am

You registered a domain name in your name period. The whois database is public.
If you cannot handle this, you should hire your domain name through companies wich provides anonymization services for domain name registration.
You should have known what would get public during your domain name registration. You didnt do tour home work.
You can try to scare people with your links about cyber crime law, it is not helping nor it is a correct attitude.. This is internet, you want world wide visibility for your website, but you want want to remain anonymous, and would like all the world to be kind with you ? This is not how it's working (for now ;p).

Sorry for my english.

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:40 am

@ VrijVlinder

Who is database is publicly accessible in that case no federal and international law is broken.

Javelina

Post by Javelina » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:20 am

<quote user="vrijvlinder">
... but he does not have the right to publish publicly my personal complete info on a public page. I now had to change my phone number. www vrijvlinder com that is my site.... He has a right to think what he wants I respect that. Not to slander me without proof. And publish my info...[/quote]
Let's ignore the part about "slander me without proof", as that is a different matter.

These are very grave accusations you made. In fact, they are misleading. This is why: You chose to publish both your nom de plume, call it your internet name, AND your real name when you registered your website several years ago. Your full name, including middle initial, street address and email account are clearly visible to the public, right now. I just checked the WhoIs record.

As the prior comment said, you have the option of choosing a "hidden" registration. If you are concerned about privacy, I would encourage you to investigate that alternative.

Armored

Post by Armored » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:18 am

According to new federal and international law it is illegal and people have been prosecuted. http://www.cybercrime.gov/cccases.html
[/quote]

I had a look at the link, couldn't find the part that validated your claim. Apologies if I'm being blind, but can you please post the specific law or case that qualifies your statement. In particular the part about "International" law. I'm genuinely interested. If you're correct, I will suggest that The Forum guidelines on mywot.com be amended. An extra sentence for guideline #4

if you all think this guy who posted this is right in what he thinks of my site so much so that it made him put me at risk by putting my info in there and it's ok
[/quote]
As I said, "I tend not to do it". Actually I never have.

but I am willing to bet people here have more intelligence than that or so I hope.
[/quote]
I hope that people who don't have a commercial site and are very concerned about their privacy are "intelligent" enough to hide their Whois or so I hope so.

That is abuse of information. http://www.justice.gov/criminal/cybercrime/1030analysis.html
[/quote]

Again it's possible I'm being blind, can you please quote the part in that American Legislation that points out it's illegal or "abuse of information" to post Info that's accessible through a Whois service on a scorecard or even a public Forum. I'm not challenging you here, I'm just interested in these new laws you mentioned. It's always good to keep up-to-date.

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:32 am

It is not about it being accessible or not it is about how you use and distribute the information. There are clear laws that are in place specifically for this to prevent identity fraud. Like that site states that info was available before it was made private.
[/quote]
Oh yes it is !
Would you please refer me to clear laws that are in place specifically for this
A publicly accessible data can be accessed anywhere and as far as i know about law it doesn't restrict you from accessing and distributing publicly accessing information.

If you have any problem then i would refer you to use Private Registration method.
BUt i would again repeat it No federal or International Law restrict you from accessing and distributing publicly available data.

The fact it is available does not give carte blanche to distribute it without my permission. How about you post your info . Call me.... oh that's right I had to change my number sorry let me call you ? ;)
[/quote]

Again no one needs your permission for posting any publicly available data.
Whether it contains your personal info.
You have set your personal data to be access publicly.

I would love to see an hard evidence in support of your voice.